• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Trialists

....concerning the Rigters situation. If he says that he is going to "talk to him,"............... he therefore doesn't need to watch him again....
I'm not sure if Ritgers could play for us again. There's a rule that during a season a player signed to a club can only trial for another club in 2 games. Whether that applies in pre-season as well as in season reserve games I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me, & Ritgers is still signed to Blackburn as far as I know.

I think we will sign all 3 trialists.
If we did, does everyone think that would be enough for an ok season i.e mid table?

If we did , that may provide the basis for a reasonable side but the fizz won't come until a bit later. I believe that the most interesting part of the summer signing season will be when we get our loan players arranged.

No, think you're way off there Beefy, reckon Laurent will be one of our stars this year.

I hope that you're right but history says that you're wrong. In all the time that Tilly has been manager here how many players have managed to establish themselves here in their second season after failing to in their first? Arguably Peter Clarke, although I'd argue that was mainly down to our relegation, arguably Gutts, although he signed on deadline day when we were top of the league and with the next season in mind. Laurent won't get a game up front so how is he going to get a chance to make himself our star?

I hope that you're right but history says that you're wrong. In all the time that Tilly has been manager here how many players have managed to establish themselves here in their second season after failing to in their first? Arguably Peter Clarke, although I'd argue that was mainly down to our relegation, arguably Gutts, although he signed on deadline day when we were top of the league and with the next season in mind. Laurent won't get a game up front so how is he going to get a chance to make himself our star?

Who said anything about up front? ;)

He been played on the wing a lot pre season, I only saw the ippswich game but showed there that he could certainly skin a few league one left backs this season

Because the thoughts of a few fans don't have a bearing on his, presumably legally-binding, contract?
Agreed. But my point stands, why not mutually terminate his contract during pre-season?

I understand the behind the scenes worth of the man, but we're paying him to play football, and I don't think he's worth the reasonable wage he'll be on.

Laurent is the kind of player that I'm talking about when I say that we've got too many strikers. He's a centre-forward and needs to be given a run of matches up front in order for him to settle in the side, in that role and to build some cohesion with his teammates. But he won't get that chance because we have five other strikers, are about to sign a sixth and if he doesn't score in two games in a row then someone else will get a game.

James Walker is in the same boat. They'll both be shunted out wide the odd time they get a game, they won't do it very well, their confidence will be destroyed, they'll be slated by the fans and their Southend career will be over. It's pretty ridiculous, IMO.

I'm as big a fan of Tilly as anyone on here is but I really wish that his plan for fixing whatever is wrong with our team at any one time wasn't always 'sign another striker'.
Spot on as always Beefy.

So from that then, its true - you can only play players in 2 trial games.

Hence the 'decision' needed on Rigters. I'm not sure if Tilly saw enough now to earn a deal. I'd probably sign him if the wages were right as I think he has potential, but trials are tough and he didnt score in 2 games and up front is the only area we are covered reasonably well.

Hopefully Saah and Worley will do the business tonight.

I'd take a punt on all 3 of them to be honest. As long as the wages were right and any fee for Worley/Rigters was no more than about 100k....

So, i suppose it pans out like this:-

RIGTERS If possible we shall try and negotiate a deal with him.

SAAH / WORLEY We will take another look at them tonight to see whether they are
worth pursuing.
STEPANOV ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

At the limit we could look at someone else tonight and on Saturday but Barnet would would certainly be the last chance for trialists. We could also hope that the 'defender we are waiting to get back to us' could run out of options. Otherwise we are generally
f****d regarding permanent transfers...........anything after this is surely going to smack of last minute panic and desperation...........even if it's not.

So from that then, its true - you can only play players in 2 trial games.
Shock, horror. Hooly gets something right for a change! Blimey I've amazed myself. :O

Shame though really in that these 2 lads are having to trial in a makeshift defence, as at Daggers, rather than seeing how they'd play naturally alongside say 2 of AB, Franno & a settled left back. It must be pretty difficult in those situations to play at your full potential. Hopefully they've done the business in training.

TBH I don't think Tilly has any choice but to sign one of them.

Sign Worley, get a winger and left back on loan. Dont need Rigters, need to concentrate on improving the service to the strikers.

He doesn't appear to be overweight from what I've seen. Very strong, held the ball up well and was lightening fast. The difference between Rigters and Ricketts in my opinion is Rigters is only 25 so hasn't hit his peak as yet, and is still young enough to carve a good career out for himself IF he wants it.

I didn't see the Ipswich game but at Dagenham he was bone idle, his first touch was poor, he certainly didn't hold the ball up well and there was no sign of his speed.

Could do with a bit of pace at the back to and by the sounds of it Saah has pace and is fairly decent in the air to . Hard one to decide between the pair after just 2 games but there could have been a few games in training versus Ressies/ youth to get some idea of their reading of the game and positioning .

Ideally would like 2 defenders , but can't see that happening IMO.

No one seems to talk anymore about Stepanov, is he back in Estonia getting over his injur? I presume that if he isn't under contract (?) with another club we could come back to him after the transfer window has closed? Interested to see on the 'Barnet line up thread' that there is a chance that there will be at least one trialist on view tonight.
Have a hunch that we will make Rigters such a conditional offer that he can, and probably will, refuse it...........my hunches have been wrong in the past.....but I smell a loan striker coming in.

The thoughts of Brush

I had a chat with PB at the meet the Blues on Sunday and asked if after the Daggers game had any of the trialists stood out for him. PB said at best one he would give a 6/10 and the others 4/10 down to 1/10, so nothing really ticked to boxes for him. I asked if any of the 'targets' prev spoken about were still available or now with clubs? PB confirmed that one was the player who pulled out of signing last week after being told to do so by his agent, PB really frustrated on this as the paperwork was on the table. Another target is currently on the books of a Prem club, this seems to be the one they really want to tie up, only a 6 month loan situation for a CB, right footed but can play left side, a big 6'3 with bags of pace, problem is the club will not make him available to late August and would prefer if he went to a Championship side although the player is keen to come here, PB had spoke with him on Saturday evening and he again said he wanted to come. The other target is still available, a free agent, CB with a lot of experience, Brighton are interested but have told him they view him as a squad player, but their wage offer blows ours right out of the water, depends if he opts for a starting spot with us or more cash from them! PB said that at the moment 4 to 5 clubs in the div are playing the agents off against one and other and he feels we may get a look in on a couple of other situations when some bottle goes with certain agents and players, but if that occurs it's all going to be very much last minute.

I had a chat with PB at the meet the Blues on Sunday and asked if after the Daggers game had any of the trialists stood out for him. PB said at best one he would give a 6/10 and the others 4/10 down to 1/10, so nothing really ticked to boxes for him. I asked if any of the 'targets' prev spoken about were still available or now with clubs? PB confirmed that one was the player who pulled out of signing last week after being told to do so by his agent, PB really frustrated on this as the paperwork was on the table. Another target is currently on the books of a Prem club, this seems to be the one they really want to tie up, only a 6 month loan situation for a CB, right footed but can play left side, a big 6'3 with bags of pace, problem is the club will not make him available to late August and would prefer if he went to a Championship side although the player is keen to come here, PB had spoke with him on Saturday evening and he again said he wanted to come. The other target is still available, a free agent, CB with a lot of experience, Brighton are interested but have told him they view him as a squad player, but their wage offer blows ours right out of the water, depends if he opts for a starting spot with us or more cash from them! PB said that at the moment 4 to 5 clubs in the div are playing the agents off against one and other and he feels we may get a look in on a couple of other situations when some bottle goes with certain agents and players, but if that occurs it's all going to be very much last minute.

An excellent post.

Thanks, very interesting to say the least!!

Not ideal, but I guess the message is "sit tight till late August".

Back