• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Trialists

I had a chat with PB at the meet the Blues on Sunday and asked if after the Daggers game had any of the trialists stood out for him. PB said at best one he would give a 6/10 and the others 4/10 down to 1/10, so nothing really ticked to boxes for him. I asked if any of the 'targets' prev spoken about were still available or now with clubs? PB confirmed that one was the player who pulled out of signing last week after being told to do so by his agent, PB really frustrated on this as the paperwork was on the table. Another target is currently on the books of a Prem club, this seems to be the one they really want to tie up, only a 6 month loan situation for a CB, right footed but can play left side, a big 6'3 with bags of pace, problem is the club will not make him available to late August and would prefer if he went to a Championship side although the player is keen to come here, PB had spoke with him on Saturday evening and he again said he wanted to come. The other target is still available, a free agent, CB with a lot of experience, Brighton are interested but have told him they view him as a squad player, but their wage offer blows ours right out of the water, depends if he opts for a starting spot with us or more cash from them! PB said that at the moment 4 to 5 clubs in the div are playing the agents off against one and other and he feels we may get a look in on a couple of other situations when some bottle goes with certain agents and players, but if that occurs it's all going to be very much last minute.

Finally, something with more than a ring of truth to it. Thanks Beermonster!

I had a chat with PB at the meet the Blues on Sunday and asked if after the Daggers game had any of the trialists stood out for him. PB said at best one he would give a 6/10 and the others 4/10 down to 1/10, so nothing really ticked to boxes for him. I asked if any of the 'targets' prev spoken about were still available or now with clubs? PB confirmed that one was the player who pulled out of signing last week after being told to do so by his agent, PB really frustrated on this as the paperwork was on the table. Another target is currently on the books of a Prem club, this seems to be the one they really want to tie up, only a 6 month loan situation for a CB, right footed but can play left side, a big 6'3 with bags of pace, problem is the club will not make him available to late August and would prefer if he went to a Championship side although the player is keen to come here, PB had spoke with him on Saturday evening and he again said he wanted to come. The other target is still available, a free agent, CB with a lot of experience, Brighton are interested but have told him they view him as a squad player, but their wage offer blows ours right out of the water, depends if he opts for a starting spot with us or more cash from them! PB said that at the moment 4 to 5 clubs in the div are playing the agents off against one and other and he feels we may get a look in on a couple of other situations when some bottle goes with certain agents and players, but if that occurs it's all going to be very much last minute.

I wonder why the agent did that? It certainly sounds as though it was a "Don't sign for Southend" statement rather than a "I've got you a better deal elsewhere" type thing...

I wonder why the agent did that? It certainly sounds as though it was a "Don't sign for Southend" statement rather than a "I've got you a better deal elsewhere" type thing...

No, from what I heard it was a "I've got you a better deal elsewhere" type of thing.

It was pointed out to me that the timing and circumstances fitted with Dan Harding's situation quite well. Might it have been him perhaps? If it was, then you could understand his decision at least.

PB did not state specifics but he spoke in general terms about agents and the control they have with certain players, appears a lot of players at the lower league can be in debt to their agent in regards to advancements / loans that they might not be able to get from High Street banks but the agent will give and therefore really can have the final say as to where a player ends up.

PB did not state specifics but he spoke in general terms about agents and the control they have with certain players, appears a lot of players at the lower league can be in debt to their agent in regards to advancements / loans that they might not be able to get from High Street banks but the agent will give and therefore really can have the final say as to where a player ends up.

Damon Searle had the right idea. His agent was his wife.

By process of elimination given PB evaluation of respect preformance Saah may get an offer, interesting Tilly uses the the word experience,also wonder if the 'free agent' situation is looking more positive?

I rarely understand Tilson's reasoning behind these things.

Worley won't be signed because he's not got enough experience. Then why did he come here on trial in the first place? I mean Tilson knew how old he was, how many games he's played etc. And then why are we trying to sign a centre half on loan from a Premiership team?

I think we could've missed a trick here. Either way, we need cover. If we can get someone with experience in to play week in week out then fine, but Worley would've been an extremely useful player to come in. Barrett and whoever replaces Clarke are not going to play every single game this season and if we have just 2 centre backs in the squad, they have no competition and won't be pushed. Instead we will no doubt put square pegs in that round hole. Hmm.

I'd agree with that when you consider we have taken on young loan players like Sawyer & Stanislas who had next to no experience between them when they arrived.

Have all these trialists actually been on Tilly's radar or are they all just recommendations from agents?

I'd agree with that when you consider we have taken on young loan players like Sawyer & Stanislas who had next to no experience between them when they arrived.

It is an odd reason when you consider Barrett will be the new guys partner and he's been around forever anyway. It's not as if Worley would've slotted in alongside a teenager.

Dorian didn't have any experience before he came and look how he got on in the same position.

Have all these trialists actually been on Tilly's radar or are they all just recommendations from agents?

I think generally that the foreign players are through agents, but you'd think we'd generally know about the likes of Saah etc. Although seemingly we didn't know how old Worley was.

On the subject of trialists, our good friend Martin Camano has signed for Sligo Rovers. :D

It is an odd reason when you consider Barrett will be the new guys partner and he's been around forever anyway. It's not as if Worley would've slotted in alongside a teenager.

Dorian didn't have any experience before he came and look how he got on in the same position.

Indeed. I think Dervitte may have had more U21 appearances to his name rather than league experience.

So if he does not pick them how will they gain any

Maybe when he's not under pressure from the Chairman and the fans to win every match.

We're not in a position to be able to chuck kids in on the off chance that they aren't **** because we're trying to win matches in a hugely competitive division and the reality is that last season when we were still ten points above the relegation zone in a league where the bottom four looked so bad that they were unlikely to get ten more points all season let alone ten more than we did, he was allegedly told that he had three matches to save his job and had this forum full of people moaning that only those who hid behind the rosiest of tinted glasses could see that we were the worst team in the Country and bound to be relegated.

Back