• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've voted 'no'. Last year I got I could see the logic in the tour, which seemed to be a late decision. This year the Club have had twelve months to sort something out. To leave it to the last second, after the point when it's feasible for many fans to go, and to then ask for £5k is a bit of a ****take, IMO.

Had the Club been working with the Trust on a tour for the last few months then I'd likely feel differently about it.

All that said, I'm not sure what the point of the Trust pool of funds is. If the worst were ever to happen, I'm not sure how far £50k would get us.

Last edited:
Not really. They have booked a tour, probably already paid for it, but have asked for a contribution. The Trust are well within their rights to say no. If they do, the tour will still go ahead, but SUFC will be out of pocket rather than the trust. Not being a Trust member I wouldn't dream of trying to sway opinion in terms of which way to vote, but I will point out that I don't personally think the club have been cheeky.

Yet it would still look far better all round if they suggested the contribution before booking it. Perceptions count for a lot and if they asked after the tour was booked then it can look, as this thread shows, that they are desperate for the Trusts help.

I really don't get all this.

The Trusts motto - "To help, not hinder". Is that right?

The club going to Madrid isn't dependent on this contribution. The club has asked for the Trusts help, presumably so it can spend that money elsewhere.

Last year Luggy took the players on tour as he thought it would be beneficial. We ended up a whisker from promotion and with one of our highest ever points total. Most other years we would have gone up automatically. I therefore think it probably was beneficial.

So do the Trust want to help or not?

The club going to Madrid isn't dependent on this contribution. The club has asked for the Trusts help, presumably so it can spend that money elsewhere.

Last year Luggy took the players on tour as he thought it would be beneficial. We ended up a whisker from promotion and with one of our highest ever points total. Most other years we would have gone up automatically. I therefore think it probably was beneficial.

Why not have the Trust just hand over all of the cash they keep, then? That would have a major impact on one month's cashflow deficit.

Do the Trust want to help or not?

Team spirit is what its all about . However you dont need to spend a fortune to build excellent team spirit. Something to remind the pampered players they are at a Div 2 skint club + that they are gonna have to "work their socks off " to succeed and move up the leagues.
I reckon the whole squad should camp at one of those army barrack places + do a few of those assault courses. You cant tell me that watching Ben "Usain Bolt" Clarkson get round the course wont bond the team , especially when he overtakes some of our trialists !
Grab a few crates of stella from tesco ( more likely sainsburys ) + just have a damn good laugh.

As usual there's all sorts of conclusions being jumped to, most of them negative.

The facts are that the club aren't asking the Trust to pay for the tour, they're asking for a contribution. They've got more money from other sources in sponsorship. In this climate, it's just possible that the £5k they've asked the trust for was earmarked from another sponsor who pulled out late in the day.

As for a seat on the board, unless someone makes a significant investment in the club, it's unlikely that a board seat would be given to them. With the best will in the world, even the entire £50k I understand the Trust has in the kitty probably wouldn't buy that. And seats on the board are very rarely the purview of the Chief Executive, it's normally a Chairman or collective board decision.

Having the players know the fans have subsidised their pre-season tour is actually quite a clever way of incentivising them to perform over the season, I think.

Last year's trip in the UK resulted in a hair's breadth from domestic promotion. This year, a trip to Spain obviously means almost qualifying for the Europa League. A trip to South America next summer will Shirley bring nearly World Cup glory.

Go on, Trust members, give 'em all you've got. You know it makes sense.

Surely the club should be working WITH the trust, not as a place to go when they want something?

The club seem to treat the trust with a lack of respect or that's how outwardly it seems. The club publicly offered the Trust a place on the board and have reneged on this, The trust lent the club money and continually missed the payment dates, and now because someone cant add up or set a budget they come cap in hand.

Mr Lockett give the trust what was promised, i.e. a place on the board and then maybe we will start to see some collaborative working relationship rather than a one way **** take.

Post of the year!!!!

Mate your not getting it - the trust will not and should not just hand over the money we are here to ensure the safe running and future of SUFC we are NOT a cash cow we don't just jump when the club say so!

It's time in my opinion to get tough with the club they should change there attitude and the way they go about things then they will be supported!

I don't get this 'spending a fortune' thing. It is often cheaper to holiday abroad than to holiday at home. Why do we think that a tour in Spain will be any more expensive than a tour in Scotland?

The club seem to treat the trust with a lack of respect or that's how outwardly it seems. The club publicly offered the Trust a place on the board and have reneged on this, The trust lent the club money and continually missed the payment dates, and now because someone cant add up or set a budget they come cap in hand.

Mr Lockett give the trust what was promised, i.e. a place on the board and then maybe we will start to see some collaborative working relationship rather than a one way **** take.

If I had 50k and went to Southend would that be enough to get me a place on the board ?

Im pretty sure other members of the board invest far more than that so dont see the Trust having enough clout to be on the board, even if being on the board actually meant anything which it doesnt.

Mate your not getting it - the trust will not and should not just hand over the money we are here to ensure the safe running and future of SUFC we are NOT a cash cow we don't just jump when the club say so!

It's time in my opinion to get tough with the club they should change there attitude and the way they go about things then they will be supported!

Whilst I agree with the cash cow part the money the Trust have does not ensure the future of SUFC, I doubt it could afford to run the club for a month...

As usual there's all sorts of conclusions being jumped to, most of them negative.

The facts are that the club aren't asking the Trust to pay for the tour, they're asking for a contribution. They've got more money from other sources in sponsorship. In this climate, it's just possible that the £5k they've asked the trust for was earmarked from another sponsor who pulled out late in the day.

As for a seat on the board, unless someone makes a significant investment in the club, it's unlikely that a board seat would be given to them. With the best will in the world, even the entire £50k I understand the Trust has in the kitty probably wouldn't buy that. And seats on the board are very rarely the purview of the Chief Executive, it's normally a Chairman or collective board decision.

Having the players know the fans have subsidised their pre-season tour is actually quite a clever way of incentivising them to perform over the season, I think.

When a large chunk on money was borrowed by Ron our place at the top table should have been granted!! Just like ANY other investor

If I had 50k and went to Southend would that be enough to get me a place on the board ?

Im pretty sure other members of the board invest far more than that so dont see the Trust having enough clout to be on the board, even if being on the board actually meant anything which it doesnt.

Whilst I agree with the cash cow part the money the Trust have does not ensure the future of SUFC, I doubt it could afford to run the club for a month...

Being on the board gives us a vote and gives us access to board meetings and debate at the highest level

A seat on what board though Andy,if my memory recalls me well RM has stated in the past it would only be a seat on some meaningless new board to discuss the football aspects of the club as any other seat on the official board would mean signing some non-disclosure contract which would make it pretty pointless...RM solely decides what happens when and where at the top level hence why so many directors have left in recent years, it is more of a dictatorship than a board IMO.

Yeah i hear you, but the club need to start working closer with the trust. If Ron wants to win back some public opinion then why don't they bite the bullet and make the trust chairman a full Director of the board. i appreciate some info will be sensitive but im sure that person will know how to handle that information, but maybe just maybe the fans will finally have a voice and a vote at that level?

It would be interesting to know how the voting rights of the current board are made up, we know RM is the majority share holder but that doesn't means he runs a dictatorship? Maybe each board member has equal voting rights so that its run as a board or maybe not?

JM that wasnt what RM agreed though, we arent talking about the norm here and your right in general it wouldnt be enough. You wouldnt even get on my board for that :winking: However RM promised a trust member on the board and hasn't fulfilled that promise

That money which was up to 100k at one point buys TIME!

This could keep the club going for a week or 3 allowing time for new buyer or investor!

It also means should god forbid SUFC goes bust that money would give a good foothold on starting again AKA AFC Wimboldon

100k to start a non league side at say wakering level - that will do!!!

Being on the board gives us a vote and gives us access to board meetings and debate at the highest level

I think theres some sort of belief that if the Trust had a member on the board fans would have some level of influence and access to information we dont have, it wouldnt happen.

Ron Martin is in charge and what he says goes. If someone on the board had a big financial influence then they may have some influence but the Trust just wouldnt bring enough to the table.

Back