• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfashionable childhood heroes

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
I love the doom and gloom as much as the next person, but just to get away from it for a moment, I was reminiscing over old players earlier, and wondering if anyone had any old favourites when they were younger/first started going to The Hall, that were/are deemed as fairly unpopular, or downright awful.
The key point to this, is when I first started going to Roots Hall, I was about 8 or 9 years old. I didn’t pay attention to, or comprehend things like league tables or form guides.

Formations & tactics didn’t mean **** either. I was just a young kid, who looked forward to seeing my favourite players, irrespective of other fans opinions of them.

So, to start off, I used to love Paul Byrne, which all stemmed from his thunderbastard strike against Norwich in the late 90’s, IIRC.

I get the sense he wasn’t overly rated at Roots Hall, but to me, he was a hero at that time.

Andy Thomson was another one. I used to think Thommo was a footballing god for some reason, and could never understand why my old man didn’t get as excited about him, as I did :Hilarious:

I remember seeing Ken Charlery play literally once or twice, and thinking he was even better than Thommo!! I was devastated when I found out he’d gone to Luton(?)

Oh and megalols to the first person to link the thread title, to a joke about dress sense.

Martyn Booty, he said hello to me in the car park and as a young supporter that was a big deal for me. Not exactly a fans favourite but I loved him.

Terry Johnson - well more of a teenage crush to be honest !

Last edited:
In my mind at the time Adrian Clarke was our Steve McManaman. Didn't quite live up to my expectations in the end.

I love the doom and gloom as much as the next person, but just to get away from it for a moment, I was reminiscing over old players earlier, and wondering if anyone had any old favourites when they were younger/first started going to The Hall, that were/are deemed as fairly unpopular, or downright awful.
The key point to this, is when I first started going to Roots Hall, I was about 8 or 9 years old. I didn’t pay attention to, or comprehend things like league tables or form guides.

Formations & tactics didn’t mean **** either. I was just a young kid, who looked forward to seeing my favourite players, irrespective of other fans opinions of them.

So, to start off, I used to love Paul Byrne, which all stemmed from his thunderbastard strike against Norwich in the late 90’s, IIRC.

I get the sense he wasn’t overly rated at Roots Hall, but to me, he was a hero at that time.

Andy Thomson was another one. I used to think Thommo was a footballing god for some reason, and could never understand why my old man didn’t get as excited about him, as I did :Hilarious:

I remember seeing Ken Charlery play literally once or twice, and thinking he was even better than Thommo!! I was devastated when I found out he’d gone to Luton(?)

Oh and megalols to the first person to link the thread title, to a joke about dress sense.
I ran to the bog as felt nothing would happen with the ball in our half!
Wasn't expecting Byrne to score that and hearing the roar mid flow knew i'd missed something special. Watching back always gutted with my timing.

Dave Cusack nearly killed me once. I was standing against the wall on the south bank as they were practising shooting. Cusack hit one at full whack and I just managed to swerve it. Swear it would have killed me. So, he, became my Southend hero.

To go full circle, many, many years later I was sitting in my car at the front of Southend hospital waiting for my missus. I am not paying attention as the passenger door opens and someone gets in. There, sitting like a grinning loon is Cusack (who I knew from reffing Basildon United) wanting a chat about some **** or something.

Sad to hear he isn't in great shape at the moment.

My son loved Andy Thomson too, though not initially , He was getting his first club shirt for his Birthday , 7 Otto on the back was the choice the day before we went to get it , we sold him to Brum, he was devastated, but chose 11 Thomson instead.

At the next MTB day he wore it proudly , and Thomo was impressed when he saw it , until I told (I think ) Mike Marsh the story who promptly passed it on to the rest of the squad, rather loudly..

Chico Hamilton , Brian Albeson and Joe Jacques were my early favourites , along with King Billy and Peter Taylor in the first 4 or so years of watching the blues. Non SUFC , Jimmy Greaves , Dave Bickers (Scrambling on the TV ) Tommy Simpson, Lillian Board

I didn’t pay attention to, or comprehend things like league tables or form guides.

Formations & tactics didn’t mean **** either.

You are Kevin Bond and I claim my £5

P.S. I used to like dangerous Dave Morley, because he was tall and came from Man City

Back