• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Universally respected groups - The Beatles

Love, love me do?

• Total voters
Jesus no. PF are monumentally dreary.

There's a load of tracks surely? Hey Jude, Yesterday, Help!...etc etc etc

Ah ha, my phone did send this post last week. Never the less, I require proof on what you are judging your figment of imagination on.

Stone Roses

I hear no Beatle type sound from the above mentioned.
You're joking right? Maybe not on the Second Coming material, but early Roses have the Beatles' influence written all over them. I mean, Squire's guitar and Mani's bass share about 95% of their DNA with Harrison & McCartney!!

You're joking right? Maybe not on the Second Coming material, but early Roses have the Beatles' influence written all over them. I mean, Squire's guitar and Mani's bass share about 95% of their DNA with Harrison & McCartney!!

Yeah, your probably right, bad choice on my part. But you have to agree, Pink Floyd were all original with Sid Barrett and inspirational with Waters/Gilmore.

Yeah, your probably right, bad choice on my part. But you have to agree, Pink Floyd were all original with Sid Barrett and inspirational with Waters/Gilmore.
I agree with you on Floyd, yes. Barrett was more influenced by west coast US bands like Love and The Byrds than any British guitar bands, and there's certainly not a trace of any Beatles influence in the post-Syd material.

Pink Floyd
Marillion
Radiohead
Stone Roses

Thom Yorke has cited The Beatles as an influence: http://www.shmoop.com/fake-plastic-trees/influences.html

Here's Roger Waters citing The Beatles as an inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvuPKZ2lhk
"They changed everything"

And simply googling Marillion Beatles you'll see loads of covers from them (and to even put them on the same platform as The Beatles is laughable - and I like Fish era Marillion)

Anymore?

Last edited:
Love how people are trying to make solid statements on music which is totally subjective and down to personal tastes.

The Beatles clearly were a great band by the amount of success they had, not just in the "pop craze" era which can be matched by the likes of One Direction, but by how they evolved in the later years..

That said if you dont like their music then thats that, they wont be great to you.

I have all their albums and I do think some of their stuff is great, I also think some of it is rubbish as well, I certainly couldnt sing along with half their stuff. I do still think they are rightly rated as one of the greats even though musically they are no where near being a favourite of mine.

You cant argue with their influence on music though and its hard to point at another band who have had as much of an impact and influence through the years.

Pink Floyd
Marillion
Radiohead
Stone Roses

Thom Yorke has cited The Beatles as an influence: http://www.shmoop.com/fake-plastic-trees/influences.html

Here's Roger Waters citing The Beatles as an inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvuPKZ2lhk
"They changed everything"

And simply googling Marillion Beatles you'll see loads of covers from them (and to even put them on the same platform as The Beatles is laughable - and I like Fish era Marillion)

Anymore?

Googled Stone Roses and beatles influence

http://louderthanwar.com/top-10-obscure-but-key-influences-on-the-stone-roses/

First line that came back in the first site "Of course we all know about the Stone Roses love of the Beatles".

Mersey Paradise even uses cords from Here Comes the Sun.

As good as the Stone Roses were, can they really be put on the same pedestal as The Beatles ? Were they really around long enough?

As good as the Stone Roses were, can they really be put on the same pedestal as The Beatles ? Were they really around long enough?

No band can, or ever will again. Most of us (me included) have no idea the impact that they had back in 1960's when most music labels thought that "guitar music was on the way out" and Tin Pan Alley churned out hits for people like Adam Faith. Shame we couldn't get some input from older zoners on this.

My life has been considerably enriched by never listening to DSOTM, though I did seem the Floyd live some years back, (and thought they were crap apart from Money and Wish you were Here). :smiles:

Why doesn't that surprise me?
Your post would be valid if you had listened to the biggest selling album worldwide by a British band but didn't like it, but your argument carries no weight and is tosh.

Why doesn't that surprise me?
Your post would be valid if you had listened to the biggest selling album worldwide by a British band but didn't like it, but your argument carries no weight and is tosh.

I'm sure they played a lot of numbers off that album in the concert I saw but the only songs I liked were the two I mentioned (one of which was on the album).

Basically I don't like so-called "progressive rock." Never did.Never have.

Last edited:
No band can, or ever will again. Most of us (me included) have no idea the impact that they had back in 1960's when most music labels thought that "guitar music was on the way out" and Tin Pan Alley churned out hits for people like Adam Faith. Shame we couldn't get some input from older zoners on this.

I grew up as a teenager listening to the Beatles,Stones etc but my favourite group at the time was the Beach Boys.Go figure.

I was also retro enough as a kid to buy up singles by Adam Faith and Billy Fury as soon as they came out.

Bought the Beatles box set recently and it's only now I can fully appreciate how great they really were.

I like the Beatles - probably have 6-7 albums but i do think they are the most overrated band ever.

Actually i don't think i've ever met anyone whose disliked Queen (the band) but must be someone here that has.

I like the Beatles - probably have 6-7 albums but i do think they are the most overrated band ever.

Actually i don't think i've ever met anyone whose disliked Queen (the band) but must be someone here that has.

:happy: Hi, that'd be me, and Queen would be the most overrated band ever.

I am only 20, but don't really get what the hype with The Beatles was. Sure they've got some great tracks, but they are the definition of "Boy Band" IMO, especially their early stuff. They only ever made their psychedelic music due to it being the psychedelic era, and every other band basically doing the same, and they wern't very good at it IMHO, although again I do like a few of the tracks from that era.

Best band of all time? Purely down to taste really isn't it. Zeppelin have got to be up there, early Floyd was great, Forever Changes album by Love has to the top 5 albums of all time (if you haven't heard it before give it a go), again the later stuff not being that good. Think you'll struggle to find a band that were consistantly good throughout their life time.

I'd go with Zeppelin.

Forever Changes album by Love has to the top 5 albums of all time (if you haven't heard it before give it a go), again the later stuff not being that good. Think you'll struggle to find a band that were consistantly good throughout their life time.

I own 'Forever Changes' and have listened to it plenty, but have never quite 'got' it.

As for being consistently good throughout, I'd say The Smiths and Pixies, both of whom produced four fantastic albums, although I wouldn't expect universal agreement there.

I am only 20, but don't really get what the hype with The Beatles was. Sure they've got some great tracks, but they are the definition of "Boy Band" IMO, especially their early stuff. They only ever made their psychedelic music due to it being the psychedelic era, and every other band basically doing the same, and they wern't very good at it IMHO, although again I do like a few of the tracks from that era.

Best band of all time? Purely down to taste really isn't it. Zeppelin have got to be up there, early Floyd was great, Forever Changes album by Love has to the top 5 albums of all time (if you haven't heard it before give it a go), again the later stuff not being that good. Think you'll struggle to find a band that were consistantly good throughout their life time.

I'd go with Zeppelin.

Christ, where to start?

Agreed, early Beatles isn't my thing. I wanna hold you hand etc, not for me. However Revolver, released in 1966, was ground breaking. No good at psychadelic music? Jeez, again, listen to Tommorow Never Knows that predates sampling, looping etc by 15+ years. Sgt Pepper not very good? The album that Brian Wilson tried to emulate and spectacually failed at. :stunned:

The Beatles led the way - the Stones attempted psychadelia on Satanic Majesties...and it's dreadful with one decent track (She's a Rainbow).

Led Zep is a good call - they were more influenced by hoary old Blues players I guess.

they are the definition of "Boy Band"
Utter nonsense. Their manager put them in suits, apart from that they were very much the masters of their own destiny, writing and playing every instrument on almost every track they ever released. Doesn't sound like any boy band I've ever heard of.

As for Led Zep, as much as I like them most of their best material was stolen and much of the last 3 albums is dog****.

Christ, where to start?

Agreed, early Beatles isn't my thing. I wanna hold you hand etc, not for me. However Revolver, released in 1966, was ground breaking. No good at psychadelic music? Jeez, again, listen to Tommorow Never Knows that predates sampling, looping etc by 15+ years. Sgt Pepper not very good? The album that Brian Wilson tried to emulate and spectacually failed at. :stunned:

The Beatles led the way - the Stones attempted psychadelia on Satanic Majesties...and it's dreadful with one decent track (She's a Rainbow).

Led Zep is a good call - they were more influenced by hoary old Blues players I guess.

See for me, it's almost a "commecial psychedelic sound" if that makes sense. Try a band called West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. That for me is what I call psychedelic. I'm not saying I'm right, but I just feel like they were trying to be something they wern't.

Stones, now that is the definition of overated. About 4-5 good songs ever, and She's A Rainbow was basically a rip off from the band Love anyway.

Back