• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Waddock to be considered for the job?

Remember lots of people wanted Stan Collymore as manager and despite the huge clamour Ron eventually appointed the unqualified caretaker. That turned out ok.
I would never put Collymore and Barrett in the same bracket in terms of managerial qualities and potential.

I get a little frustrated that all the anti Barrett brigade seem to think other supporters are being sentimental. I just consider when you weigh everything up he is the stand out candidate for the role!

Waddock track record not great but if he and Tod gets us moving up the league and into safe position then he has proved himself only time will tell

Sorry, getting us up this league and into a safe position - is that that the best we can really hope for?
Nothing against yourself Maldon, but if thats the best option I'd rather get the right man in for the job at the start and go for it. Relegation is not where its at.

Sorry, getting us up this league and into a safe position - is that that the best we can really hope for?
Nothing against yourself Maldon, but if thats the best option I'd rather get the right man in for the job at the start and go for it. Relegation is not where its at.
We're bottom and have lost every game this season. Right now I'd bite your ****ing hand off for getting up the league and into a safe position. We'll have to win the league next season

Like most on here surely, a few wins is what we want, nothing more, nothing less IMHO. Anything else is not vital. The manager question will resolve itself over the next week or so I am sure. COYBB

We're bottom and have lost every game this season. Right now I'd bite your ****ing hand off for getting up the league and into a safe position. We'll have to win the league next season
You're not biting my ****ing hand off thank you. But if we do win you could probably have a nibble of the other one.

The huge clamour was actually for appointing that unqualified caretaker after he was getting results. Ron didn't want to at first.

The initial favourite was Collymore. Like Barrett he had already an experienced assistant lined-up (it was a defender he'd played with at Leicester IIRC). Initially nobody - and I mean nobody - was touting Tilly for the job when Wignall was sacked. People thought it was symptomatic of the club being unable to attract anybody to do the job and that even having him as caretaker was an embarrassment.

Even after we won Tilly's first match 4-0 the fans didn't consider him a serious candidate. We then lost his second match 3-0 and people definitely weren't calling for him to be given the job. The next match was a FA Cup win and whilst people were enjoying it there was an expectation he'd be found out soon, then a JPT win, but you know it was only the JPT. It was only after his 5th match in charge - Swansea away when we only needed 8 men - that people started to consider him a candidate. The next home match though was a dire 1-0 defeat to 10 men Bristol Rovers in which Donkey Broughton missed a penalty and the talk in the Spread afterwards definitely wasn't about how he had to be given the job.

So the fans were initially wrong. The clamour to appoint him didn't come until later.

If he starts getting results then why shouldn't he be considered?

For what it's worth, I think he has come across really well in interviews since his first one pre-Orient.

As much as I'm sure there would be better options, perhaps a little patience to see how he does before binning him and getting someone else in wouldn't be as bad a thing as some are making it out to be.

What, Hitler?

there seems to be this egotistical given by some, that now Bond has gone we will climb up the league and the start of the season will all be forgotten history... I've seen nothing (yet) to suggest that our squad is good enough to climb out of the league. So far every game we have played, we have been absolutely played off the park by bang average teams.

Are the players genuinely good enough? I don't know the future and I would really hope so, but there's absolutely nothing I have seen yet to suggest the players ARE good enough, we could certainly become more committed and more organised with a new management team in place, we may becoming more competitive, but coming back from the start we have had and turning that around is monumental difficult. As many have alluded to , we have never replaced our star midfielders, there's clearly no money to do so or it would have been done, the problem so obvious to all is the non existent midfield and there's nothing we can do about that. We wont be able to sell or release any of them and we wont be able to sign anyone, we also have shagnessey and Ralph who I think are weak players, so I am yet to see where we have strengthened the defence? then of course we have genuine lack of wingers at the club, all we have is a competitive forward line. As a fan I will do everything I can to encourage and get behind the team, but I hope we find something from somewhere to gradually climb us up the league to 17-16th position.

I will be using Holiday to go to Shrewsbury on Tuesday night, but can we honestly genuinely see us building on our point yesterday?

there seems to be this egotistical given by some, that now Bond has gone we will climb up the league and the start of the season will all be forgotten history... I've seen nothing (yet) to suggest that our squad is good enough to climb out of the league. So far every game we have played, we have been absolutely played off the park by bang average teams.

Are the players genuinely good enough? I don't know the future and I would really hope so, but there's absolutely nothing I have seen yet to suggest the players ARE good enough, we could certainly become more committed and more organised with a new management team in place, we may becoming more competitive, but coming back from the start we have had and turning that around is monumental difficult. As many have alluded to , we have never replaced our star midfielders, there's clearly no money to do so or it would have been done, the problem so obvious to all is the non existent midfield and there's nothing we can do about that. We wont be able to sell or release any of them and we wont be able to sign anyone, we also have shagnessey and Ralph who I think are weak players, so I am yet to see where we have strengthened the defence? then of course we have genuine lack of wingers at the club, all we have is a competitive forward line. As a fan I will do everything I can to encourage and get behind the team, but I hope we find something from somewhere to gradually climb us up the league to 17-16th position.

I will be using Holiday to go to Shrewsbury on Tuesday night, but can we honestly genuinely see us building on our point yesterday?

I genuinely think our players are good enough, maybe not to win the league but to stay up, Shagnessey and Ralph will do a good job in this team without the Bondball tactics. The midfield is a bit more of a worry but I think we just need to find the right blend with the players we have available at the moment, Milligan, Mantom, Hutchinson and Macca would be a decent place to start with Macca being the only out and out winger.

Looking at the table there are at least 2 teams that could end up below us at the end of the season, (I think Bolton have too much to do and may get another deduction due to the the Donny game), the good news for us is we should have a new manager bounce soon which should improve confidence around the time that Hopper and Barrett are back from injury.

Been backed into 5/2 favourite with Sky bet.Reading between the lines I dont think Martin has anyone else seriously in the picture currently so its Waddocks to lose

Been backed into 5/2 favourite with Sky bet.Reading between the lines I dont think Martin has anyone else seriously in the picture currently so its Waddocks to lose

Why read so much into that? The betting companies are not knowledgeable on the lower leagues and the lowering of his price has happened because he has been backed by people off the back of yesterday and off the back of what Chris Phillips tweeted.

Sadly because we've changed managers a lot recently I've had to post this a lot, but here we are again.

I work in the industry and it only takes about £30-50 in stakes to send anybody from a double figure price into that 5/2 mark. The only time anything significant can be read into the odds is once betting gets suspended.

Sadly because we've changed managers a lot recently I've had to post this a lot, but here we are again.

I work in the industry and it only takes about £30-50 in stakes to send anybody from a double figure price into that 5/2 mark. The only time anything significant can be read into the odds is once betting gets suspended.
I know bookies move quickly with things like this.I put a tenner on Waddock at 6/1 as its almost his to lose.I remember when Daniel Sturridge moved to West Brom on loan and bookies got stung as inside info was provided

Why read so much into that? The betting companies are not knowledgeable on the lower leagues and the lowering of his price has happened because he has been backed by people off the back of yesterday and off the back of what Chris Phillips tweeted.
I wasnt reading much into it at all just stating a fact.I backed him at 6/1 earlier in week as I think if Waddock wins a few games its going be his to maybe end of season

I would never put Collymore and Barrett in the same bracket in terms of managerial qualities and potential.

I get a little frustrated that all the anti Barrett brigade seem to think other supporters are being sentimental. I just consider when you weigh everything up he is the stand out candidate for the role!

I agree that Barrett has the potential to be a great Manager but don’t understand your logic regarding Collymore.

I would suggest if anything Collymore had more potential both with his experience in playing at a far higher level, as a pundit and experience playing in Europe.

I agree that Barrett has the potential to be a great Manager but don’t understand your logic regarding Collymore.

I would suggest if anything Collymore had more potential both with his experience in playing at a far higher level, as a pundit and experience playing in Europe.
Collymore is an intelligent guy, but erratic and struggled with his own demons and not suited to club management in my view...probably explains why he never has done any coaching or management and just stuck to punditry.

We have never played in Europe or in the Prenier League so that point is irrelevant,

Back