• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Warm up games

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
With it all being quiet on the Southend front I'm resorting to posting about England.

It's the second warm-up friendly tonight against Ecuador. From what Hodgson's said looks like the likely line-up will be:

Foster
Milner Smalling Jones Shaw
Lampard Barkley Wilshere
Sterling Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lambert

Will be interesting to see how Milner does at right-back. Johnson isn't in great form so he could be an option there against better teams where Johnson's defensive lapses might be exposed. Smalling and Jones as our back-up central defence pair makes me pray that Cahill and Jagielka both stay fit and suspension-free. I like the look of the front three and we should create plenty of chances.

Really hope Barkley has a good game. He needs to get game time in Brazil. My personal favourite of the young talent we have, scores, creates, runs at players and has that magic spark about him

Take a bow, Rickie Lambert son. What a bloody strike! Now that is a man I would be happy to see wear the England no.9 shirt!

Highlights the shocking lack of depth amongst English players and how overrated some are. How are Smalling and Jones playing for Man U let alone England.

Need to start with Chamberlain and Barkley when the world cup starts. The drive forward so well. Barkley's run that set
up Lambert's goal was brilliant

Highlights the shocking lack of depth amongst English players and how overrated some are. How are Smalling and Jones playing for Man U let alone England.

Shaw, Stones, Flanagan, Barkley. All very good young players. Too many foreigners in the PL which doesn't allow the English players to come through

Watching tonight's game shows how poor we are at the back. Do we really have no-one else to play right back outside of Glen Johnson but utility midfielder Milner? Milner is a decent player to have in the squad based on him being able to play in any position in midfield, but he looked shocking at right back. I think 45 minutes was more than enough to show that experiment didn't work. As for Smalling and Jones in the centre, I just hope Jagielka and Cahill stay fit and suspension free as tonight's centre backs hardly inspired confidence.

Based on the two friendlies so far, this is how I would start the first game of our World Cup:
Hart (speaks for itself - undisputed number 1)

Johnson (by default - no better options at right back unfortunately)
Cahill and
Jagielka (decent partnership and other options don't inspire confidence, have performed well together in recent games.)
Baines (Shaw certainly do his chances and harm, just feel set piece delivery and experience would be too valuable)

Gerrard (captain, won't ever not start when it matters)
Wilshere (Henderson is too similar to Gerrard, with those two in midfield against Peru the ball didn't move quickly enough and Gerrard and Henderson got in each other's way too much. Wilshere adds more forward thinking, can move with and without the ball and picks up the pace of passing)

Oxlade-Chamberlain (wide, bright point of tonight's game for me, adds pace, strength, work rate and skill)
Rooney (given more of a free role, although seems like he is lacking match fitness I just don't think he should be left out. Roy HAS to have the balls to bring him off if he's underperforming. On today's showing Barkley didn't show he would offer much more than Rooney would other than in glimpses, at times he looked lazy and uninterested IMO)
Lallana (wide, shown what he is capable of with decent passing and intelligent runs, think Sterling would be better used as an impact sub.)

Sturridge (a case can be made for Lambert, but with the midfield behind Sturridge if all are clicking chances will come, and against Peru showed he can create chances for himself as well)

Watching tonight's game shows how poor we are at the back. Do we really have no-one else to play right back outside of Glen Johnson but utility midfielder Milner? Milner is a decent player to have in the squad based on him being able to play in any position in midfield, but he looked shocking at right back. I think 45 minutes was more than enough to show that experiment didn't work. As for Smalling and Jones in the centre, I just hope Jagielka and Cahill stay fit and suspension free as tonight's centre backs hardly inspired confidence.

Based on the two friendlies so far, this is how I would start the first game of our World Cup:
Hart (speaks for itself - undisputed number 1)

Johnson (by default - no better options at right back unfortunately)
Cahill and
Jagielka (decent partnership and other options don't inspire confidence, have performed well together in recent games.)
Baines (Shaw certainly do his chances and harm, just feel set piece delivery and experience would be too valuable)

Gerrard (captain, won't ever not start when it matters)
Wilshere (Henderson is too similar to Gerrard, with those two in midfield against Peru the ball didn't move quickly enough and Gerrard and Henderson got in each other's way too much. Wilshere adds more forward thinking, can move with and without the ball and picks up the pace of passing)

Oxlade-Chamberlain (wide, bright point of tonight's game for me, adds pace, strength, work rate and skill)
Rooney (given more of a free role, although seems like he is lacking match fitness I just don't think he should be left out. Roy HAS to have the balls to bring him off if he's underperforming. On today's showing Barkley didn't show he would offer much more than Rooney would other than in glimpses, at times he looked lazy and uninterested IMO)
Lallana (wide, shown what he is capable of with decent passing and intelligent runs, think Sterling would be better used as an impact sub.)

Sturridge (a case can be made for Lambert, but with the midfield behind Sturridge if all are clicking chances will come, and against Peru showed he can create chances for himself as well)

On tonights showing, Barkley needs to be there somewhere. I don't rate Rooney, he always seems to under perform

On tonights showing, Barkley needs to be there somewhere. I don't rate Rooney, he always seems to under perform
Barkley definitely didn't do any harm to his chances, I just thought tonight he drifted in and out a bit much as said above, and out of him and Rooney, who also blows hot and cold, I'd personally rather start with Rooney. I agree that he often under performs, particularly on the big stage for England and as soon as it's obvious Rooney is going through the motions I'd be getting Barkley ready to go on in his place.

Looks like the Ox has damaged ligaments, sadly. He was pretty decent tonight.

Barkley gives the ball away cheaply but when it comes off he's really exciting. I think he should start from the bench.

Rooney had another poor game (not showing out wide and generally drifting in) but I can't really see him being dropped.

Jones was the only positive in defence. Milner was dreadful going back but showed his intelligence in attack.

Italy lineup:

Hart

Johson Cahill Jagz Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Rooney Welbeck

Sturridge

Looks like the Ox has damaged ligaments, sadly. He was pretty decent tonight.

Barkley gives the ball away cheaply but when it comes off he's really exciting. I think he should start from the bench.

Rooney had another poor game (not showing out wide and generally drifting in) but I can't really see him being dropped.

Jones was the only positive in defence. Milner was dreadful going back but showed his intelligence in attack.

Italy lineup:

Hart

Johson Cahill Jagz Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Rooney Welbeck
Sturridge

Welbeck? You have to be trolling

Welbeck? You have to be trolling

People who can't see what Welbeck brings to the team against Italy need to give their heads a wobble.

Name me a better option to play that role on the left of a 433/451 system against the Italians.

People who can't see what Welbeck brings to the team against Italy need to give their heads a wobble.

Name me a better option to play that role on the left of a 433/451 system against the Italians.

In my opinion, you drastically over-rate him.

What were people's opinion on the Sterling/Valencia incident?

In my opinion, you drastically over-rate him.

What were people's opinion on the Sterling/Valencia incident?

Welbeck's held in high esteem by all those who play with and against him. Guardiola waxed lyrical about him prior to their Champions League encounter last season and the only manager to give him short shrift has been Moyes, and look how that turned out. Welbeck's the most rounded footballer we have at our disposal. He can attack, defend, hold the ball up, bring others into play, create opportunities and make space through movement. He's more than diligent defensively and has a phenomenal workrate. And he doesn't celebrate goals by pointing to the sky like some kind of Johnny Foreigner. Why wouldn't we look to exploit those strengths against an Italian side that will defend resolutely and, given their most likely team selection, play through the middle with advanced full-backs. We're going to need players like Welbeck and Lallana on the flanks who can tuck inside when required and not look out of place. Can Sterling do that? No.

Both Valencia and Sterling deserved reds. Sterling was moving at such a pace that he never had control of the tackle and if he's even half a second earlier he's putting Valencia out of the tournament. It was reckless and dangerous, so he has to go. Valencia reacted badly, so had to go as well.

Back