• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Warm up games

So the Ox is out for between 10 and 21 days apparently. Gutted for the lad and so frustrating because it was such a nothing, innocuous incident. He only got injured cos the Ecuador player was rolling around. He was probably our best player last night until he went off. It wouldn't be a major tournament without one of our best players getting injured would it!

Leaves Hodgson with a dilemna as to whether to keep him in the squad for potential knockout rounds or call up someone else. There's no one on the standby list who plays on the wing though. With hindsight someone like Adam Johnson or Jason Puncheon should've been on there instead of Cleverley.

Anyone see what Valencia said after the game?
"I apologise to the country, my teammates, the coaching staff for the expulsion of today. But most importantly, I'm fine"
He was nowhere near getting injured, it was a wild tackle but Sterling was nowhere near getting the player, was clearly going for the ball, give him a yellow and tell him to calm down and get on with the game. Valencia's reaction was disgusting, particularly in a friendly game, thought Sterling did well not to react knowing his temperament.

Did anyone else spot the Southend flag at the game yesterday? Wonder if any Shrimpers are heading out to Brazil.

I thought we played pretty well last night against a decent Ecuador team, considering it was essentially a reserve team and they were probably a bit jet-lagged. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley were impressive going forward and I love the way they just pick it up and aren't afraid to run at opponents. I thought Rooney had a decent game on the left and Lambert didn't do much wrong and scored a lovely goal. Defensively we looked a bit shaky and Chris Smalling did little to change my opinion of him but I thought Phil Jones did ok after a shaky start and Luke Shaw didn't do much wrong. Milner wasn't convincing at right-back but he was up against a very pacey winger. Let's just hope none of our first-choice back 4 get injured. Only major disappointment (other than the Ox's injury - fingers crossed!) for me was Wilshere, who gave the ball away too much and just looks scared of tackling now, which is understandable but you can't afford to be carrying players like that. He could've done more to prevent the shot for their 2nd goal too. I thought Sterling deserved a yellow at most for his tackle and Valencia's reaction, considering his experience and the fact he's captain towards a 19 year-old was disgusting.

Also what was the point of bringing on Stones and Flanagan when they're not in the 23-man squad?

It's so easy to condemn a man when it's not your own career on the line. It might be worth remembering Valencia has already suffered one potentially career ending and pretty horrific leg break due to a poor challenge from an opposing player. Sterling's challenge was late and uncontrolled, and a definite red. A second earlier and Valencia could of been having the worst kind of deja vu, it'd be a big man indeed to be able to control his emotions in that situation.

With respect the Southend flag, I know Bucket&SpadeFC is out there, so he may have something to do with it, even though it's not his usual flag. Only Shrimper I know going to Brazil from this board is Silencer, lucky bugger!

I'm not taking too much from the result, it's a friendly after all. It did expose our lack of depth in defence. You do feel whilst Smalling and Jones only ever get bit part roles in a multitude of positions at United, they're never going to develop as far as they potentially could, and it's to England's detriment. Cahill and Jags simply have to start. Johnson, sadly, is all we have at RB at the moment, it's a shame, as positionally he's awful, he doesn't track back well after his runs up the wing, and his awareness of opposing players is laughable, and yet he's the best we have, and it's because of this we may be frustrated in seeing our attacking potency blunted and Milner starting in that wide right position. Hodgson clearly doesn't want to sacrifice one of his attacking players this way, hence the failed experiment to try and push Milner further back - at least Hodgson is trying. Clearly Baines is a shoe in, I'd still have brought in Ashley Cole instead of Shaw, to play against the Uruagyans, and our potential last 16 opponenets depending on the strength of their wide men. For me defensively he's still the strongest we have, even if he does lack Baines' offensive arsenal.

Midfield; Wilshire seems to have stagnated because of the constant niggles he's picking up, and Barkley has surpassed him in his development. Gerrard was the stand out midfield player in the premiership this season and should be a shoe in. Lallana or henderson should take the third midfield role, Henderson has been outstanding this season as well, and it's no coincidence his absense at the tail end of the season, coincided with Liverpool letting the title slip through their fingers, and would probably just get the nod for me. We need the stability and ability to move the ball around quickly and accurately in midfield against the Italians and Urugayans.

Up top for me has to be Rooney, by far the best player we have still, I don't understand why it's become so fashionable to slate him. Quite simply no Rooney, no qualification, no World Cup. He's our best player bar none, the fact that he's now broadened his game and contributes to the otherall attacking game, and not just the end product, and still sits highly in the all time scoring lists for both Man United and England says it all. Will run for 96/7 minutes, will score, will create and will drop deep and support the midfield. Wellbeck next for me, whilst he doesn't over perform for United, the England set up seems to suit him well, his pace and work ethic against the Italians will be invaluable, and he does have a decent scoring rate for England as well. Final spot would be Sturridge, we need that one player with an element of greed, who will shoot when others will look for a pass, the opportunist striker, and one bang in form.

Three teams are broadly similar:

Uruguay: 7th
Italy: 9th
England: 10th

Costa Rica: 28th

Costa Rica aren't **** as you put it, they're only 2 behind Ecuador.

It's the toughest of all the groups, which just underlines why I can't get excited about this world cup.

Yeah that's fair. We're probably talking about different 'toughness'. I mean specific for the 3rd seed in each group. According to the FIFA rankings, England have the 10th toughest set of matches in the group stage (based on adding up the rankings of their 3 opponents).

USA (3rd team in Group G) have the 3rd toughest set of matches (Germany, Portgual, Ghana)
Chile (3rd team in Group B) have the 6th toughest set of matches (Spain, Netherlands, Australia).

So I think it's fair to say from England's view that there are two groups that are tougher than ours.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/dec/18/world-cup-2014-draw-strength-of-schedule
(uses older FIFA rankings I think but it'll be similar for now I'm sure).

It's not about overrating Welbeck, it's about remembering him being a stand-out player at Euro 2012. He got 2 in 4 (the equaliser in the draw against France where he led the line, and the crucial winner against Sweden). He has a knack of scoring important goals for England and his all-round play is superior to Sterling (who is a great prospect, but last night he showed his naivety). Bringing in youth and pace is all well and good, but Welbeck has youth, pace and big tournament experience which is crucial.

Last night we gave the ball away too cheaply for my liking and Welbeck is intelligent on the ball and can also stretch the play and accelerate when breaking.

If not Welbeck, then who?

If my memory serves me correctly, we took the lead against France and Lescott scored. Cancelled out by a Nasri strike!?

Well tonight's England game is giving me a chance to run the rule over my sweepstake pick for the world cup, Honduras.

All i can say is can we add a prize for most yellow and red cards please.

Dirty, dirty ****ers

I know they are only friendly games but we had real issues on the pitch.

first game Roy mixed it up a bit but the second game for me was what he thought would be his strongest starting 11.

Honduras turned up put 9 men behind the ball looking to ruff a few of us up and get a draw just to prove they are not in the world cup to make numbers up.

I honestly think we will struggle to get out the group unless we either turn it on or get lucky

we were very poor in both games,in fact,we seem to get worse most games!! just hope hodgson has a cunning plan..hope that when he stands on the touchline,looking like a "dope",thats also in his masterplan,but dont hold your breath

Christ where is all the optimism and hype about this being our year that normally surrounds World Cups?

I wouldn't take too much from warm-up games, they are mostly about fitness, tactics, gelling the team and getting used to the weather conditions. Germany were held by Cameroon, Italy by Luxembourg and Ireland, and France by Paraguay. I thought we actually played fairly well in the games against Peru and Ecuador, and the 20 mins that I saw of the Honduras game before it was suspended. I'm a bit worried about the defence but going forward we have some exciting talented young players who can create chances.

i thought we had a comfortable qualifying group,that we made uncomfortable. since then or 6 friendly games, v chile &germany "b"team,disgraceful..very poor game v demark,but at least won,..peru, 3-0,but even hodgson said the score flattered us, then the last 2 games, awful..could not even get a shot on target v 10 men(honduras),in the last 25 mins..watched the germany -cameroon game,at least both teams could play football,italy & france, both ,it was only one "friendly" game..i am sure that before & after, they were a lot better then us..hope hodgson has been bluffing everyone so far,come sunday morning we will know

Back