• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was Molesley the wrong choice?

Is he still here ? If he is healthy enough surely Luggy should get a tap on the shoulder for the rest of the season. He has worked in dire situation last time albeit he was able to bring in more players than we have. That said would the 6 players he could of bought in been better than Mark "Bournemouth Un23" contact Moseley? I think the answer is yes. Would he or a manager of his ilk who has been in the professional lower leagues a long time make a better fist of it ...an even more resounding yes. There would be none of this tippy tappy Backwardsalona that we are playing now, every game with epic failure in the vain hope that one game in the entire season we would actually get a win with it.

I would say 99% of the fans now know this isn't going to turn around on Marks watch, he has not got the foresight to try a plan B or C, He does not have the football connections and for all the graft, washing in the sinks and boots and laces and sleeping in a tesco bag for life in the changing rooms isn't going to change things. It is the equivalent of me picking the lottery numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 every weekend for the rest of my life hoping it will win....enough it enough...
Bang on that man.

Feel sorry for MM. It's been a virtual impossible job to be successful. But by God, I didnt expect us to be this bad. The performances are seriously low non league level. Something has to change.

Feel sorry for MM. It's been a virtual impossible job to be successful. But by God, I didnt expect us to be this bad. The performances are seriously low non league level. Something has to change.

The owner first and foremost; we are still under a transfer embargo even after the winding up petition was dismissed.

Big respect to Undercover shrimper. Not only for raising doubts (correctly in my book) after the Harrogate game, but for not responding by gloating after the amount of stick he received for starting this thread.

Big respect to Undercover shrimper. Not only for raising doubts (correctly in my book) after the Harrogate game, but for not responding by gloating after the amount of stick he received for starting this thread.
Maybe undercover has decided to stay away from SZ after the hostile reaction to his original post? He has some interesting views worthy of discussion and it was brave of him to challenge the myth of Mark the messiah ( who seems really to be more a naughty boy)

MM has not been able to halt what started last season, the general malaise that is in the players here before him and seems, like some disease, to have been transmitted to the players who have since joined. One question is can anybody jolt these shadows of players from their slumber? Would it actually have been better to bin the lot of them, the likes of John White, Demi, Dieng, Oxley and just go with the yoofs and loanees?

I listened fully to BBC Essex for the Bradford game and the same theme seems to recur, we have limited players who are being asked to play far above their ability. Glenn Pennyfather added that at his playing days at Palace they were a long ball team because Steve Coppell had said to his players, if you were good enough to play out from the back we'd be doing that.
We are not two or three games into the season, I'm sure MM and the coaches see the issues, what's worrying is they are either doing nothing to fix them on the training ground, or the players are not following any instruction from the coaching team.

A 'big man' up front keeps getting mentioned as well, why? How does a player like that help, we currently do not play in any kind of style to get use from a 'big man'. More than once tonight I heard the groaning of the commentators as a player got in a position to cross and instead checked back, if we're not going to cross the ball a target man will be literally no use. I also note MM agreed that said target man was needed at the supporters meeting, does this mean he'll ditch his style etc should a player like this be brought in?

The general demeanour of the players, which has been alluded to in other threads on here, can't be helping, it still feels like the more 'senior' element of the squad aren't completely behind the new coaching staff, whatever the club wants to say in public.

Is he still here ? If he is healthy enough surely Luggy should get a tap on the shoulder for the rest of the season. He has worked in dire situation last time albeit he was able to bring in more players than we have. That said would the 6 players he could of bought in been better than Mark "Bournemouth Un23" contact Moseley? I think the answer is yes. Would he or a manager of his ilk who has been in the professional lower leagues a long time make a better fist of it ...an even more resounding yes. There would be none of this tippy tappy Backwardsalona that we are playing now, every game with epic failure in the vain hope that one game in the entire season we would actually get a win with it.

I would say 99% of the fans now know this isn't going to turn around on Marks watch, he has not got the foresight to try a plan B or C, He does not have the football connections and for all the graft, washing in the sinks and boots and laces and sleeping in a tesco bag for life in the changing rooms isn't going to change things. It is the equivalent of me picking the lottery numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 every weekend for the rest of my life hoping it will win....enough it enough...

I suspect myself and a fair few others are in the 1% then.

Please stop making up statistics.

MM has not been able to halt what started last season, the general malaise that is in the players here before him and seems, like some disease, to have been transmitted to the players who have since joined. One question is can anybody jolt these shadows of players from their slumber? Would it actually have been better to bin the lot of them, the likes of John White, Demi, Dieng, Oxley and just go with the yoofs and loanees?

I listened fully to BBC Essex for the Bradford game and the same theme seems to recur, we have limited players who are being asked to play far above their ability. Glenn Pennyfather added that at his playing days at Palace they were a long ball team because Steve Coppell had said to his players, if you were good enough to play out from the back we'd be doing that.
We are not two or three games into the season, I'm sure MM and the coaches see the issues, what's worrying is they are either doing nothing to fix them on the training ground, or the players are not following any instruction from the coaching team.

A 'big man' up front keeps getting mentioned as well, why? How does a player like that help, we currently do not play in any kind of style to get use from a 'big man'. More than once tonight I heard the groaning of the commentators as a player got in a position to cross and instead checked back, if we're not going to cross the ball a target man will be literally no use. I also note MM agreed that said target man was needed at the supporters meeting, does this mean he'll ditch his style etc should a player like this be brought in?

The general demeanour of the players, which has been alluded to in other threads on here, can't be helping, it still feels like the more 'senior' element of the squad aren't completely behind the new coaching staff, whatever the club wants to say in public.

Because (if he's good enough) he'll hold the ball up so that we don't keep losing it. Apart from that stopping the constant wave of attacks our defense have to deal with, it will also give us a chance to bring others into play and get forward. Or at least (I suspect) that's the theory.

However, one player won't make all the difference. We need about 5-6 new players too (IMO) and as much as RM says the embargo doesn't affect us I would argue that it is the single biggest issue. Without it MM would have been able to overhaul the squad rather than being forced to do it piecemeal.

Because (if he's good enough) he'll hold the ball up so that we don't keep losing it. Apart from that stopping the constant wave of attacks our defense have to deal with, it will also give us a chance to bring others into play and get forward. Or at least (I suspect) that's the theory.

However, one player won't make all the difference. We need about 5-6 new players too (IMO) and as much as RM says the embargo doesn't affect us I would argue that it is the single biggest issue. Without it MM would have been able to overhaul the squad rather than being forced to do it piecemeal.

I agree with regards to the embargo. That is where MM hands are tied, who would he have brought in with free reign, or at least a modicum of choice?

The 'big man' though is clearly not needed, if we are going to persist in the current style of play, as you say we need someone to hold the ball up. I would argue in fact that we need the opposite of 'big man' we need a technically proficient type centre forward or attacking midfielder, or just anyone with a decent first touch who can bring others into play. As you say though 1 or 2 players like this won't help us, it's not enough.
Then comes the issue that we seem to have no midfielders who run past the forwards so even if we can secure someone to hold the ball up who can they actually give it to?
MM says he came into the job with his eyes wide open, I reckon he wishes he kept them shut.

I agree with regards to the embargo. That is where MM hands are tied, who would he have brought in with free reign, or at least a modicum of choice?

The 'big man' though is clearly not needed, if we are going to persist in the current style of play, as you say we need someone to hold the ball up. I would argue in fact that we need the opposite of 'big man' we need a technically proficient type centre forward or attacking midfielder, or just anyone with a decent first touch who can bring others into play. As you say though 1 or 2 players like this won't help us, it's not enough.
Then comes the issue that we seem to have no midfielders who run past the forwards so even if we can secure someone to hold the ball up who can they actually give it to?
MM says he came into the job with his eyes wide open, I reckon he wishes he kept them shut.

How do you know that's the choice though? Maybe MM wants to change the style of play, or at least give us more options. The problem is that if you always do the same thing and don't have a plan B then it is very easy for the opposition to set up and deal with it. Being able to play out from the back and also play long once in a while, i.e. mix it up a bit, will at least give the opposition something to think about.

How do you know that's the choice though? Maybe MM wants to change the style of play, or at least give us more options. The problem is that if you always do the same thing and don't have a plan B then it is very easy for the opposition to set up and deal with it. Being able to play out from the back and also play long once in a while, i.e. mix it up a bit, will at least give the opposition something to think about.

Well I'm hoping it's not as I completely agree with being able to mix it up and have a plan B but all that ever seems to be preached from the club is that we're going to have an identity and we're going to stick with it.
Also from the evidence of games so far this season we have no plan B and right now we may as well just experiment with plans B, C, D and E because plan A is getting us nowhere but oblivion.

Cheer me up then.

What improvement was shown last week and are you still confident?

Im not sure what you want me to say, as you seem to spend a lot of time lying in wait for me to say something you can disagree with....

I didn’t have my crystal ball with me hence why I said it had BEEN improving week on week not “it’s going to keep improving” or “it’ll improve again next week”.

Truth is the last two games have been very poor and I’m not going to pretend it was anything else. But we have polar opposite views on what’s good and what isn’t and Im certainly not going to waste my time looking into any of the finer nuances of where small crumbs of comfort may appear for anyone who evens wants to positive, just for you to poo poo it.

If you want to disagree or look for arguments in everything I say that’s fine but I just prefer to try and be a bit more constructive with how I watch all football, not just Southend. ?

Listening to BBC Essex last night they said the first half performance was possibly the worst all season, Glen Pennyfather saying the basics are not happening (tracking back, blocking, tackling etc) and it's things they mention every game. Whilst MM is working with sub-standard players and he's hamstrung, you'd at least expect to see some improvement after a dozen games and us being at least more competitive, sadly this is not happening. If it takes another month for things to 'click' on 'the project' then it's not going to help if we're already adrift. The problem is RM cant afford to sack this giant management team that's been assembled. Could getting in a hardened L2 manager as his No.2 be a short term answer? We need to do something different on the pitch, repeating the same thing week after week and getting nowhere isn't working.

It is now evident beyond doubt that most of these players will never reach the standard required to compete at this level. I really wanted Goodship to succeed but he just hasn't got it, nor has Acquah, sadly, and Lennon and Hobson are just disasters waiting to happen. Even Bwomono, for all his 100+ appearances hasn't progressed as we might have expected, still lacking awareness and weak defensively. Clifford shows promise but is often caught out of position. Demetriou cuts an increasingly frustrated figure and Dieng is, well, Dieng. Oxley has been rightly criticised but seems the least of our problems. Last night, only Olyinka looked up to the task and he is not likely to be part of our future, whatever it mght be. We really are at rock bottom and for all Mertin's warm endorsement of him, Molesley must know in his heart of hearts that he just does not have whatever it takes to turn this round. He should do the right thing and resign. No one would criticise him for recognising he has failed and leave while there is still time for someone else to step in and try to turn this round.

It is now evident beyond doubt that most of these players will never reach the standard required to compete at this level. I really wanted Goodship to succeed but he just hasn't got it, nor has Acquah, sadly, and Lennon and Hobson are just disasters waiting to happen. Even Bwomono, for all his 100+ appearances hasn't progressed as we might have expected, still lacking awareness and weak defensively. Clifford shows promise but is often caught out of position. Demetriou cuts an increasingly frustrated figure and Dieng is, well, Dieng. Oxley has been rightly criticised but seems the least of our problems. Last night, only Olyinka looked up to the task and he is not likely to be part of our future, whatever it mght be. We really are at rock bottom and for all Mertin's warm endorsement of him, Molesley must know in his heart of hearts that he just does not have whatever it takes to turn this round. He should do the right thing and resign. No one would criticise him for recognising he has failed and leave while there is still time for someone else to step in and try to turn this round.
You say it's beyond doubt that these players won't reach the standard required (of which I entirely agree!) but then you want MM to resign so a new manager can turn it around? There is no manager on Gods earth that can turn this around, literal no one, not ever, never! This is the worst collection of players outside the Isthmian Premier (and that maybe a little harsh on the Isthmian Premier!)

Reactions: GBJ
Back