• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have read it all before but.....

chris wood

Youth Team
With only a few weeks to go till the start of the season why do we year in year out wait to the last minuite to sort the squad out.
Ive read countless stories over the years when players are wanted which are so similar they could be forgiven for not even being penned again just called up on a pc and printed or posted on the official site its so frustrating when you see other clubs gettin players in and all we see are players exiting.
Stories of the likes 'The search is on' and 'not wanting to name a player incase it alerts other clubs' oh yea and the classic 'we are working through our list'.
Well im worried i know Tilly and Brush continue to work wonders with the players we have but at the moment there are some glaring holes in the squad and not enough quality back up to make a challenge this season unless that list his working on actually comes up with a fair few gems!!!

The transfer window has been open 5 days! Jeez, keep the faith, have they let us down yet?

With only a few weeks to go till the start of the season why do we year in year out wait to the last minuite to sort the squad out.
Ive read countless stories over the years when players are wanted which are so similar they could be forgiven for not even being penned again just called up on a pc and printed or posted on the official site its so frustrating when you see other clubs gettin players in and all we see are players exiting.
Stories of the likes 'The search is on' and 'not wanting to name a player incase it alerts other clubs' oh yea and the classic 'we are working through our list'.
Well im worried i know Tilly and Brush continue to work wonders with the players we have but at the moment there are some glaring holes in the squad and not enough quality back up to make a challenge this season unless that list his working on actually comes up with a fair few gems!!!

I guess that it just takes more time than we realise to bring players in once the transfer window opens. Dont forget the window has only been open 5 days and negotiations as we know can be lengthy when it comes to agreeing the finer points of contracts and other things.

I agree that it is very frustrating.

It's a frustrating time for most clubs
Tilly usually gets his signings spot on

Remember in January we signed about 6 players in 2 days.

Only a few clubs in any of the CC leagues are securing players at this stage. (Unless they are free transfers).

If you splash the cash then you have a good chance of getting some quality players in. Otherwise, clubs and players will wait till the best offer comes in. If our financial situations remains the same, we will struggle to sign players up this early.

Nicky Bailey is a good example of this. He is looking for the best wages, we are looking for the best transfer fee. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave a few days befoe the season kick off.

oooh my god what a negative post, how very dare you question the clubs methods

oooh my god what a negative post, how very dare you question the clubs methods

Of course he is entitled to question the clubs methods, just as you are entitled to use that post as bait.

But he has his facts wrong this time. Only one club in League one has signed as many players as us so far this season, and that is Oldham. We have both signed four players already, which is hardly hanging about is it?

What ACU said, no one in this league has signed more players than we have so far this summer.

There's no point getting too twitchy. Did exactly the same last season and we were two victories away from promotion.

No one in this league has 11 senior squad members that aren't on the transfer list either...

Indeed. And too think we have friendly's coming up very soon we will just be able to fill the first 11 let alone subs.

And by the team we do eventually sign some players the season would be starting and wouldnt of had time to play with each other!

Indeed. And too think we have friendly's coming up very soon we will just be able to fill the first 11 let alone subs.

And by the team we do eventually sign some players the season would be starting and wouldnt of had time to play with each other!

But the same thing happened to Orient last summer and they spent the first half of the season challenging for promotion. Have faith, people!

But the same thing happened to Orient last summer and they spent the first half of the season challenging for promotion. Have faith, people!

And finished in the bottom half of the table... Great example that one.

This is exactly why i rarely post on here as people never see the real points im trying to make.
Common we must have read the stories before of we are looking and yes i agree at this rate we will be struggling to field a quality side for the freindly games.
Oh yea as one said about Orient piecing it together at a late stage last season....errrr my memory seems to have had them in freefall towards the end of season.
Well theres my opinion im sure to be shot down but its what i believe!
We need quality in depth and we dont need to be seeing some of our regular players being let go or available for transfer.
IF thats IF we are serious about making a challenge this season.

This is exactly why i rarely post on here as people never see the real points im trying to make.
Common we must have read the stories before of we are looking and yes i agree at this rate we will be struggling to field a quality side for the freindly games.
Oh yea as one said about Orient piecing it together at a late stage last season....errrr my memory seems to have had them in freefall towards the end of season.
We need quality in depth and we dont need to be seeing some of our regular players being let go or available for transfer.

Chris, I think you will find that most of us share your anxieties however, this time last season was similiar in that it took a little while for the signings to eventually come in, and we didn't have such a bad season last year. Of course we didn't have to deal with having a few of our key players put on the transfer list but **** happens.

I'm confident that T&B will get our juices flowing with a few more good signinigs, but we are entering squeaky bum time again.

Don't be disheartened mate, of course most of us are concerned but it's happened so many times now - although maybe not with the number of potential exits as this time - that you just have to believe things are under control. You're perfectly entitled to express your views and opinions, just the same as anyone else.

Perhaps, then, you need to make them a little more clearly as your original post seemed to be bemoaning the fact that we hadn't signed anyone. With that being the case it's not surprising that people took the opportunity to point out the fact that no team had signed more players than us this summer.

If your main point is that we've got a lot of players on the transfer list then fine, we can go through that again.

-We have five weeks until our first game.

-Gower is the only player who we've let go who the Management wanted to keep.

-Other than Bailey and Clarke, everyone on the transfer list is on it because the Club have decided that they are not good enough.

If we still haven't signed anyone in four and a half weeks time and if the transfer listed players have been sold by then then fine, let's all moan about it. But right now surely we have to give the Club time to do what they have to do. Because as you rightly point out, this isn't the first time we've had to bring in most of our summer signings when the lads are already back for pre-season training. It happens every year and Tilly & Brush haven't let us down yet.

It happens every year and Tilly & Brush haven't let us down yet.

Whilst they've never let us down, they haven't made us stand up and go "We've got a decent team here" at the beginning of the season for a while. Last season, more than any i've ever seen, came in two halves. August-December we were an average team and were rarely convincing in victory... I put a lot of this down to us having a sub-standard front line and the time it took to get the squad to gel.

Imagine if we had signed Bailey, Walker and Barnard last June/July... The squad would've gelled by the time September had come around, and I don't think we'd be here in League One, as once the squad gelled last season I believe we were, at the very least, the third best footballing side in this division.

It's the pre-season in which most teams like have their squads together and get them to gel. We just seem to see it as extra time to scramble signings together before the window closes.

I'm pretty sure that fans of 70% of League Clubs say exactly the same thing.

Whilst they've never let us down, they haven't made us stand up and go "We've got a decent team here" at the beginning of the season for a while. Last season, more than any i've ever seen, came in two halves. August-December we were an average team and were rarely convincing in victory... I put a lot of this down to us having a sub-standard front line and the time it took to get the squad to gel.

Imagine if we had signed Bailey, Walker and Barnard last June/July... The squad would've gelled by the time September had come around, and I don't think we'd be here in League One, as once the squad gelled last season I believe we were, at the very least, the third best footballing side in this division.

It's the pre-season in which most teams like have their squads together and get them to gel. We just seem to see it as extra time to scramble signings together before the window closes.

I would save the season was 4 parts really. Start of the season was very average, wins weren't convincing and we wasn't playing very well.

Then came Leon Clarke, who spurred us on. Big wins like Vs Gillingham followed and we looked much better.

Then Christmas was awful, Clarke looked uninterested and the team suffered.

Then after January when we signed the likes of Barnard and Mulgrew came in on loan.

We need to be a little more patient. Someone on here mentioned about Tommy Black last season, how most of the details was sorted near enough straight after the season but it wasn't comfirmed until July because of various bits. Remember that was a free transfer as well so we didn't have to agree sums with another Club.

Transfers take time, it isn't like football manager where you can sign players on the day you get a bid accepted. It takes time, we have signed more players than anybody else in our division, and yes we need to sign some more, but give it time and they will come.

Back