• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone 0-1 Southend United

Wealdstone captain Cook looked a competent defender and leader, however his distribution and passing was limited, the No 7 was a good midfielder on the ball but got harried well by Noor and Cav who often stymied him and he was their playmaker. A hard working, footballing team and they keep it tight, no team is likely to roll over them at Grosvenor Vale.

Wealdstone captain Cook looked a competent defender and leader, however his distribution and passing was limited, the No 7 was a good midfielder on the ball but got harried well by Noor and Cav who often stymied him and he was their playmaker. A hard working, footballing team and they keep it tight, no team is likely to roll over them at Grosvenor Vale.
Captain Cook? You'll have to be a bit more Pacific. He'd sail into any NL team! 🤣

Very run down and poor ground. The toilets were an interesting collection. Food was decently priced. Couldn't see much because of the stupid seating

Didn't see many fans on the tube. On the way home some dumbo pulled the emergency alarm because the train didn't go to her stop..

Even worse some nonce was wafting around them and defending them. Hope they get caught

@Shrimper my understanding is the ground is very much a slow work in progress and kept to a sustainable budget based on a low regular home attendance of about 1000 on a good gate.
As a viewing platform it must be ranked as bottom or close to that in the NL. The changing rooms and "dugout" technical area ? must be grim on a wet, windy, February game?
This is where we are at, unfortunately.
I doubt the ground would pass as fit for FL.

Excellent defensive display with Lopata and Hobson the pick again. We’re so lucky to have those two. Collin was competent behind them once more.

Thought we were poor up front. Hyde didn’t look interested but maybe he was just injured again. Dackers is willing but I’m not sure able. At least he scored from the spot to hopefully end that curse.

I really hope Cardwell is fit soon. We need someone up front who can hold the ball up. I lost count the number of times Dackers took a touch and then lost the ball. It’s crazy that the player who seems least comfortable/able on the ball is our centre forward.

I think Cardwell’s return is what will unlock this attack which is both exciting and scary given I’m not sure when exactly he’ll be ready to return (and will he be the same?). In the mean time Wreh looks our best forward option.

All those wanting us to be more streetwise/cynical and waste time and for refs to clamp down on timewasting (both popular demands things season) got exactly what they asked for with Gus’ red card. It was a pity as he’d played well before that and made the goal.

I think last season we kept 7 clean sheets under Maher in 37(?) matches. This season we’ve already kept 5 in 10. We’re not the finished product but that’s tangible progress. Last week’s clean sheet against the favourites just looks more impressive in light of them scoring another 6 today.

A very good away win. The points way more important than the performance. We’ve played better and lost this season. But it was hard fought and on the balance of chances we deserved the win. Great support again, 1100 of us, basically just under half the crowd. Horrible ground with inadequate facilities for a large away following.

Colin- didn’t have much to do but did well when called upon
Ralph- immense again and didn’t lose one header
GSM- played really well and won the penalty. Thought the red card was harsh as they kicked the ball away numerous times unpunished
Lopata- absolute rock and born leader
KebsdaLe- solid and did what he had to
Hobson- didn’t put a foot wrong and my MOM
Husin- excellent again and got us moving on the front foot
Miley- does what he does, consistently our best player
Mooney- worked very hard and tried to create chances but a solid performance
Hyde- worked hard and should have done better with his first half chance
Dackers- scored his penalty well and defended well for us in our own box. Other than that I thought he was sloppy in possession and for someone 6 foot 5 wins very little in the air. But he does offer us something a bit different

JD- did what he had to
Wreh- very lively and had a couple of decent chances

overall a good result against a team with a decent record this season and if we are serious about doing something this season these are the games we need to be winning so well done Kev and co

Fair enough but what did you think of the game?
Decent. Completely nullified them. They were fairly well organised but didn’t offer much else. We had them penned back until the red card and even then we didn’t really look like conceding

We had to drop out of going at the last moment so it was the radio for me. From what I heard Lopata was a giant in every sense of the word. So, for those that were there, how influential was he during the game?

@Yorkshire Blue I thought same of Dackers, okay but not the next Peter Crouch, better than the tall QPR loanee Brown got in. Hyde went off early and was stretching his hams a few times so maybe not 100% yet. Wreh had a few moments and a couple of good chances but wasn't doing the closing down that as a fresh player he should have. Our strike force is still, very much, a work in progress. If GSM had not been banished I would have expected Powell to come on for Mooney and he could have shaken things up.
For GSM the first booking was harsher and less deserved than the silly 2nd. The ref was okay but like, seemingly, all of them inconsistent,

@Yorkshire Blue I thought same of Dackers, okay but not the next Peter Crouch, better than the tall QPR loanee Brown got in. Hyde went off early and was stretching his hams a few times so maybe not 100% yet. Wreh had a few moments and a couple of good chances but wasn't doing the closing down that as a fresh player he should have. Our strike force is still, very much, a work in progress. If GSM had not been banished I would have expected Powell to come on for Mooney and he could have shaken things up.
For GSM the first booking was harsher and less deserved than the silly 2nd. The ref was okay but like, seemingly, all of them inconsistent,
Yeah, I thought Gus actually pulled out of the challenge he was booked for, like he went to foul him and thought better. I wasn’t keen on the ref: fussy and too quick to give free-kicks for the slightest contact.

I was a little surprised Powell didn’t come on - I see his main use as being helping defending leads - but I suppose they wanted Dackers’ height for defending set plays. Agree on Wreh but his closing down was still an improvement on Hyde.

Very run down and poor ground. The toilets were an interesting collection. Food was decently priced. Couldn't see much because of the stupid seating

Didn't see many fans on the tube. On the way home some dumbo pulled the emergency alarm because the train didn't go to her stop..

Even worse some nonce was wafting around them and defending them. Hope they get caught
That's enough about Roots Hall. How was Wealdstone 😁

@Shrimper my understanding is the ground is very much a slow work in progress and kept to a sustainable budget based on a low regular home attendance of about 1000 on a good gate.
As a viewing platform it must be ranked as bottom or close to that in the NL. The changing rooms and "dugout" technical area ? must be grim on a wet, windy, February game?
Don't forget that they were meant to be in the Hive which as we've seen is a decent ground for a club of that size.

Remove Wrexham, Notts, Chesterfield and us, and who else regularly get gates over 6,000?
Torquay's, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Oldham and Halifax are OK grounds - but that still leaves half the NL propping up a bunch of bike sheds.
Gateshead?
Not sure, if an athletics stadium with one stand open can be counted as a decent football ground?

Back