• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

well known supporter from the North bank 70's and 80's

Keith Mac

I have seen my name mentioned on the forum and wonder if anyone remembers me, my name is Keith Mcghie and I moved to Scotland in 1981 after supporting southend since the late 60's. I supported us through some bad times and remember some great laughs in the North bank. Memories are a guy called QPR, Nobbler, the students who used to stand next to the pack and slag us, Pompey taking over the north bank, running around the market chasing nobody in particular because most teams brought no fans on a Friday night. Winning promotion against Rochdale, beating newport 4-2 with 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, Aston Villa riots, Lincoln city, going to away games with only 50 supporters, playing football at Rochdate against their fans at one end of the ground, the police taking the ball, Playing wealdstone in the cup and a guy in a red harrington jacket getting booted in the face and sitting there blood pouring from his nose nearly passing out, Mods, Skins, Butcher coats, denim waistcoats, silk scarves, memories so good. Getting supporter of the year in 1981 after travelling to all ther games from February on from Scotland, meeting my hero derrick spence. If you think things are bad now then they were worse at other times. The forst result I aleays look out for is the Blues and i hope to get to see us again a few times.

I have seen my name mentioned on the forum and wonder if anyone remembers me, my name is Keith Mcghie and I moved to Scotland in 1981 after supporting southend since the late 60's. I supported us through some bad times and remember some great laughs in the North bank. Memories are a guy called QPR, Nobbler, the students who used to stand next to the pack and slag us, Pompey taking over the north bank, running around the market chasing nobody in particular because most teams brought no fans on a Friday night. Winning promotion against Rochdale, beating newport 4-2 with 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, Aston Villa riots, Lincoln city, going to away games with only 50 supporters, playing football at Rochdate against their fans at one end of the ground, the police taking the ball, Playing wealdstone in the cup and a guy in a red harrington jacket getting booted in the face and sitting there blood pouring from his nose nearly passing out, Mods, Skins, Butcher coats, denim waistcoats, silk scarves, memories so good. Getting supporter of the year in 1981 after travelling to all ther games from February on from Scotland, meeting my hero derrick spence. If you think things are bad now then they were worse at other times. The forst result I aleays look out for is the Blues and i hope to get to see us again a few times.

Welcome to the board mate, and I hope you'll be pleased to hear there's a few of us old fogey's still around who remember those far off days. Some great memories there I remember Nobbler, and a lot of us referred to the Newport game on many occasions. I remember that Portsmouth game, and it's true the Pompey lot scattered most of the North Bank far and wide. A small group of us stayed where we were and they left us alone, possibly because we didn't run or possibly because we were that bit older. Glad to see you still support us from afar, and there's a few exiles on here who reside in Scotland. No doubt they'll make their presence felt on this thread before long.

, playing football at Rochdate against their fans at one end of the ground, the police taking the ball, Playing wealdstone in the cup and the police scoring the goal

It was John Walker's only goal for the club before "transferring" to Essex Police.

Welcome to the board mate, and I hope you'll be pleased to hear there's a few of us old fogey's still around who remember those far off days. Some great memories there I remember Nobbler, and a lot of us referred to the Newport game on many occasions. I remember that Portsmouth game, and it's true the Pompey lot scattered most of the North Bank far and wide. A small group of us stayed where we were and they left us alone, possibly because we didn't run or possibly because we were that bit older. Glad to see you still support us from afar, and there's a few exiles on here who reside in Scotland. No doubt they'll make their presence felt on this thread before long.

Nobbler (Dave Brabbing) sits in the East Greens near to me. I used to be in the North Bank in the 60's too. Used to skip college evening classes on a Friday and go the game. In those days you had to queue up to get in the North Bank. If you weren't there early enough you couldn't get in. Crushed to bits alongside coppers at the back but happy days.

Great times - I particularly enjoyed the Newport game, Friday 9th December 1977. Gerry Fell got two, Tony Hadley and Derrick Parker got the others. We were two down with 15 minutes left, and some people had already left! Happy days.

Wherabouts in Scotland are you, Keith?

I live near Motherwell and am a Motherwell supporter, similar to the blues in many ways, crowds , size of ground , type of supporters, living in the shadow of bigger neigbours and seeing many people travel to their games from their home town. Last time I saw Southend was the Bury game I just could not afford it now, I also saw them play Hamilton in a friendly a few years back. I miss Westcliff where I lived, particuarlly the beach ( mud), weather, parks, friends, town centre, football. Here is a story, when i was younger I jumped over the South bank wall at about 6.00 for a 7.30 kick off, i was going to hide in the toilets and then come out nearer kick off, Off course I got caught and chucked out, man I got up too some tricks in those days, many other stories I could share so hopefully will in the future.

Blimey it was brave of you to hide in the khazi in the South Bank the bogs at Roots Hall in those days were shocking. They actually used to breed germs in there and send them to Porton Down for our germ warfare production line in case it's ever neeeded. :)

I live near Motherwell and am a Motherwell supporter, similar to the blues in many ways, crowds , size of ground , type of supporters, living in the shadow of bigger neigbours and seeing many people travel to their games from their home town. Last time I saw Southend was the Bury game I just could not afford it now, I also saw them play Hamilton in a friendly a few years back. I miss Westcliff where I lived, particuarlly the beach ( mud), weather, parks, friends, town centre, football. Here is a story, when i was younger I jumped over the South bank wall at about 6.00 for a 7.30 kick off, i was going to hide in the toilets and then come out nearer kick off, Off course I got caught and chucked out, man I got up too some tricks in those days, many other stories I could share so hopefully will in the future.

I'm up near Ullapool, Keith, and there is a fan on this board from Glasgow and one (who has gone very quiet) from Aberdeen. I am old enough to remember the joys of the North Bank, though I found it safer to avoid the middle! Always interesting to hear reminiscences from back then, keep posting. :)

Remember you well Keith. Particularly you hitching lifts to away games - often seeing you on the sides of roads as the coach went sailing by. Just come back from York, and remember you hitching there.

Remember well you shouting out to Derek Spence to score a goal for Ulster, for which he gave you a wink.

QPR was a fan with a dogdy eye and a hump back wasn't he? He used to mix with Thommo (Gary Townsend).

I live near Motherwell and am a Motherwell supporter, similar to the blues in many ways, crowds , size of ground , type of supporters, living in the shadow of bigger neigbours and seeing many people travel to their games from their home town.

I'm just a bit up the motorway(s) from you then, as I'm actually in Gartcosh, so that means I'm not the only North Lanarkshire Shrimper. I was living in the city centre when I signed up to this board 6 long years ago.

I'm up near Ullapool, Keith, and there is a fan on this board from Glasgow and one (who has gone very quiet) from Aberdeen.

He's unlikely to I return by all accounts...

In fact, isn't there also at least another Glasgow Shrimper (the guy who was attending a stag weekend in Essex a few weeks back) and 2 (that I know of) Blues fans in Edinburgh?

In fact, isn't there also at least another Glasgow Shrimper (the guy who was attending a stag weekend in Essex a few weeks back) and 2 (that I know of) Blues fans in Edinburgh?

I think so, plus I have discovered that not only is the Headmaster at Plockton a shrimper, but I know him from the 70's. Small world, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aberdeen Shrimper

What has happen to him... he has not been on here since he forget his flag at the chelsea game

Hi Keith.
I also had to bunk in, in the Seventies when I had no money. We used to bunk in at the South Bank, hide in the toilets untill fans started coming through the turnstiles and then walk behind the West Bank and into the North Bank. You had to do it early because there would be only about 1 copper to avoid. Then they rumbled it and put an old ex copper in his Seventies I guess, to patrol the South Bank back wall (Do you remember him).
Then we got in at the West/North corner, Shakespeare Drive alley. Not so easy there tho as they had more barbed wire and sharp jagged glass on top of the wall. I have more than made up for bunking in, I have invested thousands in all sorts of ways following Southend over the years, so I'm sure they can forgive me.

I also remember all the big games and the crazy things that happened inside and outside of Roots Hall. I too, would be happy to share the memories if ever you come down to your spiritual home.

hitching

Hitched to many games as I had been banned by the gruesome twosome who ran the supporters coaches. i remember when we played Liverpool at Anfield i wore a balaclava and hid in the well at the back of the coach under everyones jackets and bags. Here is one i hitched to hartlepool from Southend then after the game hitched to Wigan to attend court on the Monday for an incident where i threw a meat pie at the Wigan crew outside the ground when they were running us. i ran straight into a copper and he nearly strangled me with my scarf knotted around my neck. Got fined £70 at court and then hitched from wigan to Southend. Often the gruesome twosome would feel sorry for me and allow me to travel back on the supporters bus from up north ( they still charged me half the price). Tommo. Gary levy and Fitzi all cam eup to my house and stayed the weekend when we played carlisle in 1982. gary levy would not go out at night as he thought he would get a kicking. me and tommo went out and had a great laugh. i remember Tommo well he always got a different bird at every place we travelled to. Many other stories to tell will come back later with more. Oh yeah running onto the park in the early 70's at the end of the game as all kids did then to get a touch of your favourite players shirt. mones was Billy best and I can still remember thinking my god they are really sweaty.

Hitched to many games as I had been banned by the gruesome twosome who ran the supporters coaches. i remember when we played Liverpool at Anfield i wore a balaclava and hid in the well at the back of the coach under everyones jackets and bags. Here is one i hitched to hartlepool from Southend then after the game hitched to Wigan to attend court on the Monday for an incident where i threw a meat pie at the Wigan crew outside the ground when they were running us. i ran straight into a copper and he nearly strangled me with my scarf knotted around my neck. Got fined £70 at court and then hitched from wigan to Southend. Often the gruesome twosome would feel sorry for me and allow me to travel back on the supporters bus from up north ( they still charged me half the price). Tommo. Gary levy and Fitzi all cam eup to my house and stayed the weekend when we played carlisle in 1982. gary levy would not go out at night as he thought he would get a kicking. me and tommo went out and had a great laugh. i remember Tommo well he always got a different bird at every place we travelled to. Many other stories to tell will come back later with more. Oh yeah running onto the park in the early 70's at the end of the game as all kids did then to get a touch of your favourite players shirt. mones was Billy best and I can still remember thinking my god they are really sweaty.

They all used to stink of deep heat type oils that they used to rub on their legs.

Back