• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JPT Final or Promotion?

• Total voters

shrimperjon

President
Is the thought of Wembley considered just a day out, or more important to you than that?

For me its the one sporting dream that remains in my catalogue. I have done FA cup Finals, Ive been to the Wrold Cup, attended many England games at the new and old stadium, Ive seen Essex in Lords finals, England at many grounds etc. I have been very fortunate to be able to do this. BUT, one thing remains and that is to see Southend walk out at Wembley.

We have come close on a few occasions and yes the Cardiff trips were great in their own right, but it wasnt Wembley. Im amazed by some on here who would rather risk players fitness to win a league game than get to Wembley.

When you support a lower league team such as ours, the opportunity to get to a final and everything that comes with it, occasionally makes it worth while. For us, beating Man Utd or drawing at Chelsea etc have been the big events in recent years and they are to be cherished but nothing will ever match the thought of travelling up to Wembley knowing that it is our team that is playing there. I would love to see us in the Prmier league, infact any league higher than we are, but realistically the Prem is out of reach, Championship possible, as proven before and League one a strong possibilty, but i would love to say just once that i saw Southend United play at Wembley.

I love this club, you have to, its not about glory, its not about trophies, but i can afford to go, i can afford to take my kids and we all love it, whether its League Two or League One. I dont care about the Premier League and all the circus that surrounds it, but i bet if you ask the fans of Stoke, Wigan, West Brom etc they would love a trip to Wembley....and as much as we would...just once, thats all!!!

I'd swap promotion for a day out. There you go, said it. Trouble is, don't think we'll get either.

We're not there yet and with the current state of the squad I'm not holding out much hope.

Can we ban the 'W' word please!!

It's the home of football, it's not just a day out, it's the full experience. Went to the old Wembley stadium to watch England v Bulgaria on a very drab 0-0 some years ago so would love to visit the new Wembley and watch the mighty Blues.

Spot on, I want it so much it hurts, I cannot sleep, dress myself or taste my food at present.
:sick:

Me too. Sorry, JPT holds no value for me.

No one cares about the JPT, the main goal is Wembley as to see your football club make an appearance at the "home" of English football would be a magical moment IMO.

Still think we need a lot of luck to stand a chance to get there.

No one cares about the JPT, the main goal is Wembley as to see your football club make an appearance at the "home" of World football would be a magical moment IMO.

Still think we need a lot of luck to stand a chance to get there.

Corrected for accuracy :winking:

How can you say it holds no value? If and its a big if we get there, it would be massive for everyone connected to the club. Anyone who went to Cardiff with agree. Yes, we lost but the whole day will live long in the memory. Wembley would be the same. If we were risking the chance of promotion to the Premier league that would be different. All im saying is that i would rather not risk players tomorrow meaning they are fit for Wednesday. Ive spent the most of the last 34 years supporting the blues in League one or two (not much difference in my opinion) and a few years in the Championship. Trips to wembley do not come round that often. Getting promoted and going to grounds like, Hartlepool and Stevenage is no different than most in League two, Wembley is a different scenario all together. Im sure the players woiuld agree!

Just on more question, those of you who dont rate the JPT, Not interested in it or think its worthless, i assume you will not go IF we got there??

Failing automatic promotion I would prefer a day out at Wembley in May. Missed our Final against Lincoln and would love to have another opportunity. I'm afraid I would far prefer a play-off final trophy (is there one?) than a JPT trophy. The former you bask in the glow of for the following season(s) .............the latter is just an afternoon thrill.

Failing automatic promotion I would prefer a day out at Wembley in May. Missed our Final against Lincoln and would love to have another opportunity. I'm afraid I would far prefer a play-off final trophy (is there one?) than a JPT trophy. The former you bask in the glow of for the following season(s) .............the latter is just an afternoon thrill.

Whilst fighting relegation!!!

It's not "a day out" FFS. What's the point in supporting a football club if not for these rare opportunities for "a day out"?

Some drab comments full of pessimism.

Life could be far worse. Cheer up and be positive and keep the faith.

Wembley is a good day out - chance to see loads of shrimpers together cheering on their side. A chance to see a fantastic stadium. As for winning the JPT - I couldn't give two hoots. It really isn't important as a cup competition but the extra revenue that we can potentially earn is not something to be sniffed at.

See this I don't understand? You are a Southend United fan I assume, yes? Southend United enter the competition and try to win each game, yes? Why therefore do you not put a value on it? Why would you want them to win a JPT game against Orient less than a League game against Northampton?

How can you only support your team in certain competitions?

It's not "a day out" FFS. What's the point in supporting a football club if not for these rare opportunities for "a day out"?

Are you new here? The point of supporting a football club is not for those rare moments of glory - it is to attend matches, go out of your way not to enjoy them, complain constantly and abuse anyone not playing like Pele despite playing in the fourth tier on a few hundred quid a week. I don't know where you get these stupid ideas from.

See this I don't understand? You are a Southend United fan I assume, yes? Southend United enter the competition and try to win each game, yes? Why therefore do you not put a value on it? Why would you want them to win a JPT game against Orient less than a League game against Northampton?

How can you only support your team in certain competitions?

As far as cup competitions go it's ****!

Just look at the attendances throughout the competition - He isn't alone in thinking that!

It has benefits but when you are trying to get up the leagues and reap all the rewards that has then quite frankly these games can just be an irritant - such as Timlin breaking his leg! I would seriously consider losing to Orient in the JPT to have Timlin back.

It depends how you value the competition and just like many cup competitions a lot of clubs don't value the JPT which takes the gloss off of it. There are no real big money spinners unless you get to the final of your region. It's a few extra games against teams you play against in the league and we would all rather get promoted than have these distractions that increase the chance of injury.

It depends how you value the competition and just like many cup competitions a lot of clubs don't value the JPT which takes the gloss off of it. There are no real big money spinners unless you get to the final of your region. It's a few extra games against teams you play against in the league and we would all rather get promoted than have these distractions that increase the chance of injury.

No we wouldn't.

Back