• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Were you there?

Yes, I went!

• 1-7 Doncaster

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • 1-8 Gillingham

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 1-9 Brighton

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 0-5 Doncaster

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • 9-0 Kings Lynn

Votes: 56 49.1%
  • 10+1 Brentwood

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • 7-0 Workington

Votes: 48 42.1%

• Total voters
I remember very few games when there were big away crowds as during my time many of the games were a Friday night but I remember Cardiff had a big crowd down for the FA cup 4th round 1975 and I remember a league game against Crystal palace when they had a huge crowd down in the South bank i cant remember many other games where there were big away crowds on the South bank oh yeah Aston villa when they had a season in the third division they brought a big crowd

There was a home game where we were 3-0 down at half time. Walsall? Freddy playing? We got a 3-3 draw. Have we ever clawed back 3 goals any other time?

They brought 3000 fans down on a Friday night. I've never seen anything like it for a league game. The centre of the South bank behind the goal was really packed. Getting 10,000 plus in '87 was really some thing considering the mid-80's attendances. A fantastic night. One of our biggest victories at Roots Hall.
If I recall correctly Martin Ling scored our goal.

There was a home game where we were 3-0 down at half time. Walsall? Freddy playing? We got a 3-3 draw. Have we ever clawed back 3 goals any other time?
There has been a few, we done it at home to Portsmouth a couple of seasons ago.
We done it away at Charlton as well but ended up losing 4-3!!
Probably some other times as well.

I remember very few games when there were big away crowds as during my time many of the games were a Friday night but I remember Cardiff had a big crowd down for the FA cup 4th round 1975 and I remember a league game against Crystal palace when they had a huge crowd down in the South bank i cant remember many other games where there were big away crowds on the South bank oh yeah Aston villa when they had a season in the third division they brought a big crowd
Lincoln brought a fair few in '81. There must have been a good 1500 on the South and there were some in the South paddock, from what I could see from the North bank. Some of their fans later claimed they brought 2500 but that's b*llox.

Sheff Wed (1-1, March 1980) brought loads. I can also think of Fulham (0-0 1982) who might have had 1500 tops. Perhaps also Gillingham (0-1, April '79). I never saw anyone beat Wolves though for fans on the old South.

I didn't go the Watford FA Cup game (1978, approx. 15,600 att) or the West Ham league cup tie (1979, approx. 20,000 att) but Watford and West Ham must have brought loads to generate that kind of attendance at Roots Hall. I'd be interested to know because in all my years following Southend I never saw more than 10,600 home fans at a game (Rochdale '81), except for Liverpool and the associated Brentford voucher game.

I saw big away followings in later years (Sunderland 1988, 1-4 and West Ham, 1993, 1-0) but by then the old South had gone, sadly.

in all my years following Southend I never saw more than 10,600 home fans at a game (Rochdale '81), except for Liverpool and the associated Brentford voucher game.
The only other league game maybe since then, was the Yeovil home game in 2005 was it?
The attendance was 11,735 and the Yeovil fans had 2 sections of the North Bank. So probably nearly 11,000 Southend fans.

He was playing for us - was on loan at Aldershot the season before.

SCP played for the Shots when we beat them 5-0 at home having beaten them 5-0 away earlier in the season.

He was on loan from Palace at the time but so impressed Webby with his silky skills and non-stop effort despite the score line that he signed him early in the following season.

We had the best two full backs in the league - SCP and Dean Austin.

Ray White was in goal his Debut, local lad in my class at Eastwood High School, best mates in Primary School too!
!

Not so.

He had played 4 games previously. He didn't feature again for over two years when, with a nice symmetry, he played a further 4 matches.

Lincoln brought a fair few in '81. There must have been a good 1500 on the South and there were some in the South paddock, from what I could see from the North bank. Some of their fans later claimed they brought 2500 but that's b*llox.

Sheff Wed (1-1, March 1980) brought loads. I can also think of Fulham (0-0 1982) who might have had 1500 tops. Perhaps also Gillingham (0-1, April '79). I never saw anyone beat Wolves though for fans on the old South.

I didn't go the Watford FA Cup game (1978, approx. 15,600 att) or the West Ham league cup tie (1979, approx. 20,000 att) but Watford and West Ham must have brought loads to generate that kind of attendance at Roots Hall. I'd be interested to know because in all my years following Southend I never saw more than 10,600 home fans at a game (Rochdale '81), except for Liverpool and the associated Brentford voucher game.

I saw big away followings in later years (Sunderland 1988, 1-4 and West Ham, 1993, 1-0) but by then the old South had gone, sadly.
Back in the day it would not of mattered weather 10.000 away supporters were on the South Bank they would never of out sung the North Bank . It was disgracefull when the club gave the away supporters the North Bank .

The funny thing about the Torquay game was that it was 0-0 at half time I think!

It was indeed - I had an evening work meeting in Hendon when the Aldershot game was being played. I tuned into MW BBC Essex when I got to my car with a few minutes left. Scratchy reception meant that I thought I heard “Southend nil” - a minute later I clearly heard the tenth goal going in!

The funny thing about the Torquay game was that it was 0-0 at half time I think!

I was about to say the exact opposite (that it was 7-0 at half time), but upon reflection I think you're right.

My memory is now a disgrace unfortunately.

SCP played for the Shots when we beat them 5-0 at home having beaten them 5-0 away earlier in the season.

He was on loan from Palace at the time but so impressed Webby with his silky skills and non-stop effort despite the score line that he signed him early in the following season.

We had the best two full backs in the league - SCP and Dean Austin.

I think that match would have featured 4 Southend managers and an assistant - Wignall was also at Aldershot and presumably played alongside Powell; whilst Tilly and Brush played for us, along with Paul Clark who'd already managed us.

I think that match would have featured 4 Southend managers and an assistant - Wignall was also at Aldershot and presumably played alongside Powell; whilst Tilly and Brush played for us, along with Paul Clark who'd already managed us.

Sansome, Dixon, Roberts, Martin, Butters, Brush, Tilson, Butler, Crown, McDonagh, Ling.

Coles, Brown, Powell, Burvill, Ogly, Wignall, Claridge, Puckett, Stewart, Phillips, Randall.

Paul Clark missed out; Guy Butters - he did a good job for us.

Back