• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I said in my earlier match report post that Weston would be the subject of a fair amount of debate and so it is proving. The various comments appear to be reasonably evenly balanced between the good and not so good, and let me say I don't have a problem with Weston's play apart from his finishing. His pace and normally his control can be above normal FL1 in my opinion, but he just can't get shots away on target, If he could he would probably be playing in the championship.

So is he a out and out winger who creates, or is he a striker as he feels he is in his last Echo interview? For what it's worth I have him down as the former, a winger, as his goal ratio does doesn't do it for me as a striker. Which then makes me wonder how he should now be developed in the side. Intensive shooting practice from an attacking coach, or persevere with the winger/impact sub approach?

When Hunt is fit I don't think he will start but he is a great impact sub, it will be interesting to see how we line up because Hunt and Mooney seemed to be getting a decent partnership going but the Pig is on a roll at the moment.

I said in my earlier match report post that Weston would be the subject of a fair amount of debate and so it is proving. The various comments appear to be reasonably evenly balanced between the good and not so good, and let me say I don't have a problem with Weston's play apart from his finishing. His pace and normally his control can be above normal FL1 in my opinion, but he just can't get shots away on target, If he could he would probably be playing in the championship.

So is he a out and out winger who creates, or is he a striker as he feels he is in his last Echo interview? For what it's worth I have him down as the former, a winger, as his goal ratio does doesn't do it for me as a striker. Which then makes me wonder how he should now be developed in the side. Intensive shooting practice from an attacking coach, or persevere with the winger/impact sub approach?

For me he is a winger, although his crossing is dreadful at times as well (Wembley apart). He has pace to burn but at times runs into a cul de sac or picks the wrong option. What he does do is attract the opposition who initially are worried by his pace but his performance levels normally drop off as the game goes on once they have worked him out. I think he is best used as an impact sub to come on like he did at Wembley when there are tired legs. As for playing as a striker no thanks as proved yesterday. I guess he can best be described as marmite, u either like him or not.

When Hunt is fit I don't think he will start but he is a great impact sub, it will be interesting to see how we line up because Hunt and Mooney seemed to be getting a decent partnership going but the Pig is on a roll at the moment.

Based on that, I would play Mooney and Piggott up top with Hunt playing the number 10 role. Mooney played very well yesterday although I think Hunt would have a little bit more vision. Was impressed with both Mooney and Piggott yesterday and thought they linked up well. Throw hunt into the mix as well and that looks decent.

I like Westy,yep a bit hit and miss but keeps their defence on their toes,if his finishing was better he wouldn't be playing here.

Based on that, I would play Mooney and Piggott up top with Hunt playing the number 10 role. Mooney played very well yesterday although I think Hunt would have a little bit more vision. Was impressed with both Mooney and Piggott yesterday and thought they linked up well. Throw hunt into the mix as well and that looks decent.

Yeah can't see PB playing 3 strikers away but at home it looks tasty.

More of a winger to me, a decent option as cover up front but would prefer his regular position to be out wide.

I think part of his problem is that he is so effective as an option from the bench, using his pace against tired legs, it was what won us a number of games at the end of last season, Exeter away in particular springs to mind.

I think he's earnt his run in the side but it's hard to claim that he is a better player than Worrall or MacLaughlin when fit. He does cause so many problems for defences but his delivery lets him down and really stops him taking advantage of what he's good at. Good cover, but as he asked Brown for a loan move I can't see him wanting to stay as cover for too long.

Personally I'd be miffed I was Worrall. He should certainly be our first choice winger IMHO and he'd done absolutely nothing wrong to be benched for Weston.

I like Westy,yep a bit hit and miss but keeps their defence on their toes,if his finishing was better he wouldn't be playing here.
This sums him up for me , you never know what he is likely to do , or achieve , blows hot and cold, and that makes him difficult for teams to work against him

Personally I'd be miffed I was Worrall. He should certainly be our first choice winger IMHO and he'd done absolutely nothing wrong to be benched for Weston.
Worrall hasn't had a great impact in recent games (hence why he was bought off early against Burton when Weston came on for him and played better than he did.)

I know some people seem to love Worrall even when he's playing average and hate Weston even if he's playing well but i think yesterday perfectly justified why Weston was called into the side ahead of Worrall, he had a very good game.

There is no doubt Worrall is the better player overall but Weston is playing better at the moment so should be picked ahead of him. Would like to see them both in the starting 11 but if not Worrall has to earn his place back in the side.

He earned his chance after Tuesday. As Alan Shearer says, missing chances means your in the right positions to miss them. Better than having no chances at all, that's when you worry. His pace caused havoc yesterday, something we always lack normally. Without him the team lacks pace and the opposition defenders have a much easier time of it. Burton away, defenders were comfortable until Weston came on. Pace always injects threat.
People also say he can't hit a barn door but Mooney has missed a lot of chances this season too but you have to encourage the players not drop them like some people suggest we do with Westy.

I don't understand your point? Worrall wasn't "benched for Weston" the decision was to play a front 3. Worrall is a winger (or maybe a wide midfielder at a push). therefore couldn't be considered for that role.
Regardless of how you rate them as individuals Weston is able to play the advanced striker role, Worrall isn't, therefore if PB has decided to play in that way, he needs to pick players to suit those tactics.

I said on another thread that Weston's role was key yesterday...his energy and desire to keep tracking back from the most advanced striker role to effectively wide midfield when we were defending laid the foundations...I'm sure that's been worked on in training.

It's not a question of Worrall or Weston....it's a question of tactical styles

He earned his chance after Tuesday. As Alan Shearer says, missing chances means your in the right positions to miss them. Better than having no chances at all, that's when you worry. His pace caused havoc yesterday, something we always lack normally. Without him the team lacks pace and the opposition defenders have a much easier time of it. Burton away, defenders were comfortable until Weston came on. Pace always injects threat.
People also say he can't hit a barn door but Mooney has missed a lot of chances this season too but you have to encourage the players not drop them like some people suggest we do with Westy.

I am sure Alan Shearer is referring to goal scorers that are not in a rich vein of scoring and not wannabe strikers who are already scoring to their ability/potential. Weston has done enough to convince me he is not a natural scorer or even a serious goal threat. His other attributes may justify his inclusion but his scoring never will.

Weston played well yesterday, however he can't keep missing clear cut chances if he's going to play up front, on another day those misses would have cost us points.

Danshrimper IMO the Worrall/Weston comparison is pointless when they're playing different roles, by all means compare the 2 if they're both playing on the wing, however Weston was a striker yesterday, you might as well compare Pigott with Worrall, it seems silly to me.

Personally I still think Weston is better suited to the wing, in an ideal world I'd go with Hunt alongside either Pigott or Mooney up top. While Hunt's injured though at least with Weston we have got another option, hopefully the competition for places will keep the players on their toes.

I am sure Alan Shearer is referring to goal scorers that are not in a rich vein of scoring and not wannabe strikers who are already scoring to their ability/potential. Weston has done enough to convince me he is not a natural scorer or even a serious goal threat. His other attributes may justify his inclusion but his scoring never will.

Im not saying he is a proven goal scorer. I used that analogy to point out that the formation, which included Weston, created chances. Which is a good thing. Missed or not. He scored a goal in the previous game playing the same role. Will it continue, maybe not but creating them type of chances can only be positive. Baring in mind in previous home games we found it very difficult to cut teams open. Even when we played our 'best' players.

Weston was very good yesturday playing high up the pitch causing problems all game for there defenders him being up there gives us the pace to provide space for pig and mooney thought it worked really well

Im not saying he is a proven goal scorer. I used that analogy to point out that the formation, which included Weston, created chances. Which is a good thing. Missed or not. He scored a goal in the previous game playing the same role. Will it continue, maybe not but creating them type of chances can only be positive. Baring in mind in previous home games we found it very difficult to cut teams open. Even when we played our 'best' players.

Agree with this, the formation certainly did work in terms of creating chances, we looked far more threatening as an attacking force. It did have a knock on effect in that the defence looked less secure though.

What it has done is create an interesting dilemma for Brown when he picks the team for Barnsley, does he stick with the attacking formation or revert to a more defensive set up. In terms of entertainment value I hope he goes with the former.

The thread title is "what to do", last two games he has been good value for his starts and I see no reason for him to be dropped. Weston may well be a confidence and " love" player so I am sure PB will put his arm around him, share some thoughts and tell him to keep running at the opposition and to keep taking the shots AND the goals will come; for him or his team mates. Simple stuff. Wozza is good and will be noticeable in wanting the place so there is a real " carrot and stick" to spur. Myles into performing. Some encouragement from the crowd would be welcome.

The thread title is "what to do", last two games he has been good value for his starts and I see no reason for him to be dropped. Weston may well be a confidence and " love" player so I am sure PB will put his arm around him, share some thoughts and tell him to keep running at the opposition and to keep taking the shots AND the goals will come; for him or his team mates. Simple stuff. Wozza is good and will be noticeable in wanting the place so there is a real " carrot and stick" to spur. Myles into performing. Some encouragement from the crowd would be welcome.

Without some intensive coaching I don't think the goals will come Massimo, hence the thread title.

Looking at the highlights yesterday to not even hit the target with those first half chances is not good. Never seems to work the goalie.

Back