• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

About half way through Roger Titford's excellent Roy Bentley's Stationary Club;The Strange Story of how Reading Stood Still in the Swinging Sixties.Many thanks to d3d4 for the recommendation.Enoyed quite a few visits to Elm Park back in the late 60's and 70's.Back at that time (and even later) we were ,of course,at a similar level to Reading.

just finished the book that was part of my project at work (called Governing England, it's very good) and am now reading The Mixer by Michael Cox. Also just got the new Michael Calvin for my birthday so reading is sorted for a few weeks

Now reading Swan Song by Robert McGammon. If you like Stephen King and enjoyed the Stand (and this was what I actively went looking for on this particular one) then this is for you.

Read it last week in one sitting (which I’ve never done before) on a flight to Seattle. Obviously kept me interested but it’s no blockbuster so don’t go in with overly high expectations.

It's certainly not up there with other classic dystopias like 1984 or Brave New World. but as you say it's an engaging read.I read it quickly too but not at one sitting.:Worthy:

Thought it compared favourably with Lionel Shriver's recent The Mandibles.Had a much more realistic,journalistic feel about it.

Last edited:
About a third of the way through Mike Carter's excellent All Togeher Now? His walk around the UK to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the People's March for Jobs (organised by his father) which I remember welcoming to London in 1981.

Just started James Baldwin's If Beale street Could Talk. Loved the film and although I'd read a couple (3 I think) of his books before,I hadn't read this one. Beautifully written.Strange it took so long to get the Hollywood treatment.

Just started James Baldwin's If Beale street Could Talk. Loved the film and although I'd read a couple (3 I think) of his books before,I hadn't read this one. Beautifully written.Strange it took so long to get the Hollywood treatment.

Not read it (or seen it) but Jenkins said on Wittertainment that it's non-narrative time structure made it difficult to film. Not to mention it's a film about poor black folk......

Back