• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I saw the Kinks around that era ie 84 In Barna.Probably with the same guy.Chief memory of the concert is the Davies brothers clearly not getting along and Ray spraying the audience at the front with whatever he was drinking.The music was great though.
Yes, Ian Gibbons was with them then. Up until '89.

Then he joined the Kast Off Kinks I believe. He passed away a few years ago - funeral at the Southend Crem, Ray and Dave both in attendance.
Good to hear that they were there. Ian gets a glowing reference from Dave in the book: -

"We'd hired a terrific new keyboard player, Ian Gibbons, who could play anything we wanted and did so with unfailing good humour."

Ian McEwan: Lessons .Probably the greatest living English novelist ,IMO.This is an thought provoking attempt to fuse the political and the person.Always deeply humane.

The British gutter press tend to give lurid accounts of so-called historic sex crimes from a male to female perpective.IM gives us a wholly fictional & graphic account of the damaging effects of an affair with an older woman on a 14 year boy.That makes for an interesting reversal of the "norm".

I don't recall Mick Avory being out of the band at that time, though he was later. I think he was also in the Kast Off Kinks with Ian Gibbons.
Wouldn't even begin to claim to remember.As I said I seem to recall 2 younger players in the band with Ray and Dave.Quite possibly I'm mistaken about MA not being there.It was a rather long time ago! :Smile:

Last edited:
Bob Dylan:The Philosophy Of Modern Song .

A treat for all fans of his Bobness.66 essays on pop records he's liked and why.
Only got this today so only just started reading it. First impressions - interestingly many of his choices date back to the fifties - Modern song? Lots of photos and illustrations but no captions. Some very idiosyncratic views and takes on the songs. It's been a long time since Chronicles Vol 1 so maybe this will have to do. Look forward to reading it in full over the next few days.

Only got this today so only just started reading it. First impressions - interestingly 1.many of his choices date back to the fifties - Modern song? 2.Lots of photos and illustrations but no captions. Some very idiosyncratic views and takes on the songs. It's been a long time since Chronicles Vol 1 so maybe this will have to do.3. Look forward to reading it in full over the next few days.

1.Just like his radio shows back in the day.I think we can take modern to mean post WW2

2.I has very much a coffetable look/feel to it but it's beautifully produced & written.

3.Enjoy!

Last edited:
Irive Welsh The Long Knives.Ultra violent and strange.IW Uses the nonce word a lot.Great writer though he is I suspect that he's done too many lines of coke in his time. :Winking:

The plot of this (inter alia) concerns the demise of a crook called Billy Lake who has a boat in the Marina at SOS.Yeah ,right.:ROFL:

Last edited:
Annie Ernaux's The Years.The French winner of the Nobel prize for Literature (first time the award's ever gone to a woman) clearly tends to divide opinion among her French readers (my wife's not a fan for example).

Thought this was a series of sociological snapshots throughout her long life (she's currently 82) rather than a novel as such.Interesting if you've been following France since WW2 (not otherwise I imagine).

CJ Box, Badlands. Modern detective/crime/western fiction set in Montana and North Dakota present day. Very good, not super hero stuff nor as far fetched as Lee Child, Reacher books but easy reading and well plotted.

Back