• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bell1.webp

It's now flats.

View attachment 25786
Yeah that’s the one and they kept the old style of the building, which is nice.

I finished Will Birch's excellent biography of Nick Lowe last night. It was profoundly well-researched and an interesting and enjoyable read with a nice twist about Nick's family history that he was unaware of. It's led to me seeking out 'The Brentford Trilogy' of albums from his renascent career following the days when he 'made his name' with Brinsley Schwarz, Stiff Records, Rockpile and his chart success with 'Cruel To Be Kind', the title of this book.

Thanks, Phil. 👍

Cruel To Be Kind.jpg

Just finished Rory Carroll's Killing Thatchrer,The IRA,the Manhunt and the Long War on the Crown.An excellent journalistic account of the events leading up to and the aftermath of the infamous Brighton bombing in 1984.Chapter14 which deals with the detonation of the bomb at the Grand is genuinely chilling.

Last edited:
Lamorna Ash's 'Dark, Salt, Clear: Life In A Cornish Fishing Town' is a fine non-fiction debut. She provides vivid detail of life amongst the fishing community of Newlyn and provides moving portraits of the people who she gets to know during her 'participant observations' - it gave me a much better insight into a world I know so little of despite only living just over a mile away from the town.

With thanks to Phil (TUIB) for sending me this hardback a little while ago now.

Last edited:
Finished MJargerat Atwood's latest collection of short stories Old Babes in the Wood last night..There are some jewels here ,not least the Nell & Tig stories plus a converstation with George Orwell (via a medium).But quite a lot of dross too,which a good editor should have sorted out.

Just finished Caroline Walter's 50 Travel Tips From a Local to Hydra.A good if short read.She who must be obeyed wants to go there, so we'll probably visit in late Sept. or Oct.Pay my respects to Leonard Cohen at least.Anybody been?

Tania Branigan's superb Red Memory : Living ,Remembering and Forgetting China's Cultural Revolution.No country should be allowed to forget its own history.That includes GB of course.I'm aware that history is complicated.That's what makes it so interesting IMO.

Last edited:
The Wild Silence by Raynor Wynn.
The sequel to The Salt Path best seller.

Another good read, interesting, educational and inspiring.
I recommend it to all, with an official MG rating 8/10
Indeed. check out her Landlines too which is an inspiring read as well.

Last edited:
Back