• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I intend that to be my holiday read for an upcoming week in West Dorset.
Did you see the interview with Moth before he walked the London Marathon? He came across just as I thought he would be, nice bloke.
No but my wife (who's also read the books) and I often talk about him on our own walks and conclude he must be as you say ,"a nice bloke".

Pie and Mash down the Roman road, Malanie McGrath, a big portion of the East end markets history of the last 100 years, a cracking read.

'All The Young Dudes' - Campbell Devine's biography of Mott The Hoople and their lead singer Ian Hunter (who has had a lengthy solo career since the band's break-up in late 1974) is a comprehensive and extensively researched tome which reads well. The first edition which I've just read (with thanks to a fellow Mott and Ian Hunter fan) was published in 1999 and takes us up to '98, so just over a decade before the band's reunion concerts in 2009. This development was certainly not envisaged in the book.

This is probably only for Mott and Ian fans, and maybe for those of Mick Ronson too, as 'Ronno' figures in the latter half of the book quite regularly due to his brief appearance in MTH in '74 and in working with Ian Hunter intermittently from 1975 until his untimely death in 1993.

A small complaint (due to my irritation at such things) was the repeated misspelling of 'preceded' several times. It was spelt here with two 'e's after the 'c' several times. It's played havoc with my sense of order. Outrageous, I tell you!

9781901447958.jpg

Just finished David Grannn's Killers of the Flower Moon.Can't say I really enjoyed it.Far too full of historical detail posing as a detective story for me.Still I''m sure That Scorsee's fortcoming film will be much better than the one currently in my head. :Winking:

Just finished Louie Shelley's collection of interviews with Pete Shelley, 'Ever Fallen In Love' - it's a good read for any fan of Buzzcocks and Pete's solo work though the emphasis here is mostly on the early years of the band 'til they split in '81 as Pete died before Louie Shelley (no relation) had completed the interviews with him. There's still a great body of information here and some good insights into the man and the music. Thanks, Phil!

Ever Fallen In Love.jpg

Just finished John Banville's excellent Marlowe AKA The Black Eyed Blonde.Rather different from the plotline in the recent film ,especially the ending.A treat for all R.Chandler fans.

Reactions: KAB
Great book I read especially for holiday, good page turner

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Never read the author before but will be looking more of his books for kindle
If you have a kindle only 99 p download

I was reminded of this book that I've had a long time but never read completely on reading an interview with Mike Brearley recently. I was originally interested in it owing to Brearley's unusual combination of professional interests and I wondered if his captaincy skills might be imbued with psychological insights. He does reveal aspects of this knowledge occasionally here along with the technical knowledge of the game of cricket. It's hugely informative and well-written and provides some great anecdotes about the players of his era. I also needed to look up the word 'martinet' - used to illustrate an ineffective style of captaincy - and also the field placings used by a bowler or captain but I was able to stay with it to completion this time around. It's now back on the top shelf of the bookshelf where it's been for the last twenty years or so, except for a couple of moves into boxes in between.

MJB TAOC.jpg

Back