• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What class do you consider yourself?

What class do you conisder yourself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to work to live, therefore I am working class, my father worked in a factory, my grandfather was a train driver therefore I have working class roots

Middle class is a class invented by those who had aspirations of being posh but still had to work, these days it means those who work without getting dirty

Last edited:
I would hope everyone though of themselves as royalty of their own self s :D. I always took it that if you accepted your "social" status it was a self contained prison

"Yea! deem not of change: ye shall be as ye are, & not other. Therefore the kings of the earth shall be Kings for ever: the slaves shall serve. There is none that shall be cast down or lifted up: all is ever as it was. Yet there are masked ones my servants: it may be that yonder beggar is a King. A King may choose his garment as he will: there is no certain test: but a beggar cannot hide his poverty."

Following a brief e-mail discussion and quick internet transaction with a Nigerian Prince, I am now Royalty.

I have to work to live, therefore I am working class, my father worked in a factory, my grandfather was a train driver therefore I have working class roots

Middle class is a class invented by those who had aspirations of being posh but still had to work, these days it means those who work without getting dirty

Yup created by the English in Victoria times after people had made money from teh empire who were not of the higher classes . The new money (some of who became later social reformers ;)

I'm middle class by definition of the work I do, ie Social Work, but it's not exactly middle-class by income definition. My parents were working class, but I went to a grammar school which fancied itself as a public school - WHSB - so I became middle class by assimilation of their 'accent and manners' (cf Paul Weller). Thing is, I've never aspired to be of that ilk and I detest snobbery and elitism wherever I sniff it.

Does that mean I'm middle class too? ;)

Surely the premise of the traditional classes is entirely irrelevent now. Is it about income? Education? Size of house? Assets? All are pretty fluid, with lowly educated tradesman/builders making fortunes and living in country mansions with membership to the golf club, and university educated Accountants, Solicitors, 'Management' earning no more than the national average income.
etc
I notice a couple of people who have posted here that consider themselves in one class, yet my perception of that person would have 100% put them in a different class. Interestingly it always seems to be people who most would consider as 'middle class' that want themselves to be seen as 'working class'.

Depends on criteria.

As a former comprehensive schoolboy who didn't have a foreign holiday until he was 16 and went to Art College, you'd have to say working class.

But then as a writer who lives in trendy North London, drinks Rioja, eats olives and reads big papers, you'd have to say middle class.

Aw, I don't know. Let's just call me a **** and be done with it.

Surely the premise of the traditional classes is entirely irrelevent now. Is it about income? Education? Size of house? Assets? All are pretty fluid, with lowly educated tradesman/builders making fortunes and living in country mansions with membership to the golf club, and university educated Accountants, Solicitors, 'Management' earning no more than the national average income.
etc
I notice a couple of people who have posted here that consider themselves in one class, yet my perception of that person would have 100% put them in a different class. Interestingly it always seems to be people who most would consider as 'middle class' that want themselves to be seen as 'working class'.

name and shame. :)

etc

Your last point is what prompted me to start this thread. Why are so many of the people who make a point of saying they are 'working class' usually well off? When a political party announces it wants to help ordinary working class people I always assume they mean people who are less well off than the national average. Yet it seems large numbers of lawyers, doctors, teachers etc believe themselves to fit into that category.

Your last point is what prompted me to start this thread. Why are so many of the people who make a point of saying they are 'working class' usually well off? When a political party announces it wants to help ordinary working class people I always assume they mean people who are less well off than the national average. Yet it seems large numbers of lawyers, doctors, teachers etc believe themselves to fit into that category.

Indeed, there does seem to be something some people view as 'cool' about wanting to be percieved as working class, despite having a reasonably well paid jobs, mortgages, pension etc.

Maybe a better classification would be between those that are so wealthy they dont have to work, those that do work and those that dont work.

I think you are confusing the poor with the working class, which is the very reason why people call themselves middle class, because they work but consider themselves better than "poor" so use the term Middle Class in some attemot to feel that the are better than others.

I think you are confusing the poor with the working class, which is the very reason why people call themselves middle class, because they work but consider themselves better than "poor" so use the term Middle Class in some attemot to feel that the are better than others.

I think you are right in some cases though in others I think inverted snobbery is the problem which is why you get people who are well off and whose parents were well off calling themselves 'working class'.

I'm middle class by definition of the work I do, ie Social Work, but it's not exactly middle-class by income definition. My parents were working class, but I went to a grammar school which fancied itself as a public school - WHSB - so I became middle class by assimilation of their 'accent and manners' (cf Paul Weller). Thing is, I've never aspired to be of that ilk and I detest snobbery and elitism wherever I sniff it.

When were you at WHSB?

Interesting. My own background ticks many of the same boxes as Shrimpero and Firestorm.
Yet I would find it ridiculous to call myself working class.
Maybe what one person calls working class someone else calls middle class and vice versa?

Back