• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I work for a law firm and one of my colleagues is making me stay in past 7pm to assist with drawing a sweepstake. Don't even think it's work related.

Our previous was from Wren and it was ok, I had no problems with it but only lived with it for a year. We're going with Ikea as peace seems to have broken out temporarily.

Our kitchen is an IKEA one and its really nice.

Our latest kitchen is from Wrens. The units are really good quality but what really made it for us was the fitter's fitting skills and some free advice on the design which made the kitchen much better than the original plan. As with all things some will like a company others won't. I never recommend but I will say that we are extremely satisfied with this one.

Our latest kitchen is from Wrens. The units are really good quality but what really made it for us was the fitter's fitting skills and some free advice on the design which made the kitchen much better than the original plan. As with all things some will like a company others won't. I never recommend but I will say that we are extremely satisfied with this one.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Every kitchen is only as good as the fitters. Many moons ago I had a B&Q kitchen fitted. Everything lined up, one minor hiccup that the fitters came back and fixed. So very happy. My mate liked it so much he ordered the same kitchen about 6 months later. His was badly fitted with lots of problems. Things didn't line up or look right. He had different fitters to me. So same kitchen, but totally different finish.

Hope you're not paying him.

He was paid up to before he went on holiday. Fortunately, have been recommended to some excellent professionals who've had a job fall through themselves and can give us three days this week at the same money as we were paying the brother in law. You would have thought we'd have learnt our lesson as this is the 3rd occasion he's let us down. It won't happen again.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Every kitchen is only as good as the fitters. Many moons ago I had a B&Q kitchen fitted. Everything lined up, one minor hiccup that the fitters came back and fixed. So very happy. My mate liked it so much he ordered the same kitchen about 6 months later. His was badly fitted with lots of problems. Things didn't line up or look right. He had different fitters to me. So same kitchen, but totally different finish.

@Cricko ??!!!! :ROFL:

Our previous was from Wren and it was ok, I had no problems with it but only lived with it for a year. We're going with Ikea as peace seems to have broken out temporarily.

I think I see the problem. Due to the calamity you endured with the old fridge, Mrs. MK can’t put her full faith in your kitchen decision making.

However, (and as lovely as I’m sure she is) Mrs. MK is only a woman, and for this reason, you can’t put your full faith in her decision making.

But fret not, as I think I’ve cracked it... why not let the good folk of SZ decide for you, via the medium of a public vote? ‘Cos we all love a public vote

I think I see the problem. Due to the calamity you endured with the old fridge, Mrs. MK can’t put her full faith in your kitchen decision making.

However, (and as lovely as I’m sure she is) Mrs. MK is only a woman, and for this reason, you can’t put your full faith in her decision making.

But fret not, as I think I’ve cracked it... why not let the good folk of SZ decide for you, via the medium of a public vote? ‘Cos we all love a public vote

Did we vote on the fridge? If not, why not?

Being a regular at the Toby at The Bell in Southend, pleased to say have never experienced that type of incident in there.

I have unfortunately. About 3 years ago we had a birthday meal there on request of the person whose birthday it was. Had quite a few carvery's there over the years with no trouble at all, as I love a carvery. This was a busy Saturday night, and a certain group that like to travel were causing problems. They refused to pay for their meal as apparently they all had human hairs in the last little bit of their meals. Then they all said their drinks were watered down, even tho they had drunk every drop. What's the chance of that happening to every meal and drink? So then they start swearing at staff, they not only are not going to pay, but are asking for free drinks as compensation, Lol. It got very heated as locals objected to them swearing and threatening the staff. We left as we had been there ages, but it was still going on. Police had been called but obviously not available at that time. I spoke to a waitress next time I went and she said she was told the same thing happens every year, but with high turnover of staff, and not always the same one's doing it, it's hard to spot that a group of normally two large tables, has come for a free meal.

Last edited:
I have started buying a couple of small joints of meat from M&S instead of a single large joint.

Slip on a pair of casual slacks and you have the carvery experience at home without the worry of being seated next to low rent punters.

I have started buying a couple of small joints of meat from M&S instead of a single large joint.

Slip on a pair of casual slacks and you have the carvery experience at home without the worry of being seated next to low rent punters.
You also don’t have to flirt with the server in the vain hope you’ll get a slice of meat fatter than a gnat’s leg on your plate.

Homicide. It's shown as an American English word according to many dictionaries. So why, all of a sudden, is it the preferred word to murder when the BBC reports a murder? Surely there is enough Americanisation of our language without adding this BBC. :Angry:

Homicide. It's shown as an American English word according to many dictionaries. So why, all of a sudden, is it the preferred word to murder when the BBC reports a murder? Surely there is enough Americanisation of our language without adding this BBC. :Angry:

It has a Latin base (Hom - Homo). American English is more akin to English our ancestors used to speak 400+ years ago before English English took on a lot of French spelling. ColoUr for example.

Murder is apparantly Germanic.

I love a bit of word etymology. It's remarkable that for 100s of years, dogs were known as hounds and then for some reason that's lost to the annuls of history, people started using "dog" almost overnight.

I agree, and I also add in to this topic the use (or worse ize) tacked on to a noun to make a verb.I suppose an argument could be made the h******e covers murder and manslaughter?

Back