• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My in-laws used to have a house down in Keyhaven. They used to get a residents parking permit that cost a fixed amount and allowed the unlimited use of parking spaces in Lymington and the surrounding areas. These were only available to residents. Anyone else had to pay at the time of parking, which was much more expensive. That worked very well.

On a (slightly) related topic, when I was on the (deck)chairs (excellent student summer job) in SOS A lot of trippers used to ask me if there was a discount for OAP's.I had to tell them there wasn't but there was a free pass for local pensioners.Imagine that still exists?

An old mate of mine from Leigh died in a stabbing incident in central London the other night. His sister's been in touch with friends on his Facebook page to let us know. Shocking and so sad. He was the least likely person I know to get involved in anything like this and my guess is that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Was that the one where some skateboarders intervened?

Condolences to your friend

On a (slightly) related topic, when I was on the (deck)chairs (excellent student summer job) in SOS A lot of trippers used to ask me if there was a discount for OAP's.I had to tell them there wasn't but there was a free pass for local pensioners.Imagine that still exists?

No chance. We have a councillor in charge of parking that's anti car. Poor value parking that's had a price hike. We have parking machines that are a nightmare for pensioners. I can't count the times they have been stuck at a machine, and I end up putting their reg number in, or getting them change. In the Royals shopping centre, in their wisdom they have machines that are now card or app only, taking no coins. There was 3 separate cars of pensioners stuck at the machines, all discussing how they are meant to pay, as they come from an era of no apps, and paying by cash. I pressed the buzzer for them to contact somebody. What a nuisance, as I always pay by cash, and an hour is my maximum. Luckily, I had my daughter with me and she paid by app on her mobile. I will never park in there again.

No chance. We have a councillor in charge of parking that's anti car. Poor value parking that's had a price hike. We have parking machines that are a nightmare for pensioners. I can't count the times they have been stuck at a machine, and I end up putting their reg number in, or getting them change. In the Royals shopping centre, in their wisdom they have machines that are now card or app only, taking no coins. There was 3 separate cars of pensioners stuck at the machines, all discussing how they are meant to pay, as they come from an era of no apps, and paying by cash. I pressed the buzzer for them to contact somebody. What a nuisance, as I always pay by cash, and an hour is my maximum. Luckily, I had my daughter with me and she paid by app on her mobile. I will never park in there again.

Totally agree with you,cash must always be an option.shame on the council it's not on,why should some older folk get worried and confused over a bloody parking space for God sake;

I have a dispute with NCP @ Southend Central station. Neither cash machine was working and I couldn't download the app so I went elsewhere, still got a PCN though which I'm fighting.

You blame the council (or a specific councillor) then provide an example from a private car park at the Royals.

Paying for council car parks has never been easier in Southend and the council have provided a way for locals to park regularly for £8.50 a month. How is that anti-car? Prices down the seafront are to ensure tourists pay their way. When it's hot, the car parks have still been full this summer. Filling the pockets of the seafront traders is not a legitimate reason to keep parking prices low for out-of-towners whilst Southenders pick up the bill for the mess left behind.

You blame the council (or a specific councillor) then provide an example from a private car park at the Royals.

Paying for council car parks has never been easier in Southend and the council have provided a way for locals to park regularly for £8.50 a month. How is that anti-car? Prices down the seafront are to ensure tourists pay their way. When it's hot, the car parks have still been full this summer. Filling the pockets of the seafront traders is not a legitimate reason to keep parking prices low for out-of-towners whilst Southenders pick up the bill for the mess left behind.

The putting in of the reg number, and machines that give no change was aimed at the council. I know the Royals is private, but my point was how difficult it has become for pensioners. Most of them don't have a smart phone. Most are advised just to deal in cash, because they are easy prey for card fraudsters and thieves. That £8.50 a month only suits certain people, and not those of us that use about one council car park a week for an hour maximum. Why make it so hard for the elderly. How about introducing a separate scheme for O.A.Ps, maybe £5 a month to park any council car park. With a card or sticker on the dashboard, where they don't have to put their reg number in or even go near a car park machine. It would ease their stress, and stop people abusing them for getting stuck at the machine(As I have witnessed a couple of times).

I am not quite sure of this pensioners are not in tune with modern technology argument. An awful lot are and I'm not sure the others should be driving if it's that difficult for them to use a smartphone.
I'm not of pension age yet, & i don't have an I-Phone or a smart phone, don't need one.
Recently spent a week in North Yorkshire, all car parks there still offer cash payments, which i always use.

I am not quite sure of this pensioners are not in tune with modern technology argument. An awful lot are and I'm not sure the others should be driving if it's that difficult for them to use a smartphone.
I don't want my life run by "apps" or a blasted 'phone irrespective of age. People should not be penalised because they choose not to use a gadget. I'm sure some younger folk think this way too.

An old mate of mine from Leigh died in a stabbing incident in central London the other night. His sister's been in touch with friends on his Facebook page to let us know. Shocking and so sad. He was the least likely person I know to get involved in anything like this and my guess is that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's a proper reason to be ****ed off. Sorry to hear that Rob.

Last Friday one of my daughters friends tested positive for Covid so she has had to isolate, it ends Monday. Now one of my sons friends has tested positive so it looks like he will have to isolate!

If a smartphone is so ruddy smart, why does it not just pay to park in a carpark?

It knows it is there and how long it stays.

Back