• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry but I'm not aware of any shortage of drivers in Spain or France.
There are driver shortages in those countries but it's more along the lines of people retiring and not being replaced with young people, those countries can manage right now (unlike us where we already don't have enough drivers) but if the trend continues there will be problems all across Europe in a few years so European countries are desperately trying to fill the vacancies before it's too late.

There are driver shortages in those countries but it's more along the lines of people retiring and not being replaced with young people, those countries can manage right now (unlike us where we already don't have enough drivers) but if the trend continues there will be problems all across Europe in a few years so European countries are desperately trying to fill the vacancies before it's too late.
Saying something is so doesn't make it so*.If you were a Polish lorry driver would you prefer to work in the UK or EU? (I know what my answer would be).

*A cousin-in-law of mine who works for Renault tells me that a lot of their delivery drivers are Polish nationals.

Last edited:
Saying something is so doesn't make it so.If you were a Polish lorry driver would you prefer to work in the UK or EU? (I know what my answer would be).
This doesn't address the issue of retiring drivers not being replaced, as I said the UK has it much worse than the rest of Europe (having a shortfall of about 100,000) because of the reason you said (which is why the UK is already experiencing supply issues that the rest of Europe isn't) however there are a lack of drivers in the rest of Europe as well, just not to the same extent as us (France has a shortfall of about 43,000 and Spain has a shortfall of about 15,000). It's not enough to cause supply issues in the rest of Europe yet but in 5 or 10 years time there could be a very serious shortage all across Europe because drivers keep retiring and not enough young people want to replace them.

Well there is so stop trying to stir it.
If there is a shortage of drivers in some individual European countries it is relatively easy for this to be rectified as there is a large pool available overrall throughout the countries that comprise the EU., free movement which is founding principle of the union. Whether the UK likes it or not, facts must be faced that this shortage is a direct and foreseeable consequence of Brexit.

If there is a shortage of drivers in some individual European countries it is relatively easy for this to be rectified as there is a large pool available overrall throughout the countries that comprise the EU., free movement which is founding principle of the union. Whether the UK likes it or not, facts must be faced that this shortage is a direct and foreseeable consequence of Brexit.

Erm, actually no it’s not…nice try though….

Got a temporary bridge fitted at the dentist's in France the other week.Feels like I've got a mouthful of marbles instead of front teeth.Only got to wait until January to see if I can get a couple of implants done. :Angry:
Neighbour of mine initially went to local dentist for root canal treatment ( which they didn't do, as they couldn't 'locate' one of her roots! ), & she also needed an implant next to that tooth.
She was quoted £3,800 to have all treatment done, don't know if this was going private?.
Anyway she's just returned from Spain, where she owns a holiday Flat, & knew a local dentist in the town. He sorted everything out, which cost her 1,020 Euros!.

Which I don't entirely disagree with but the fact remains that there is a European wide shortage of Class 1 drivers which is affecting the UK more due to freedom of movement but to suggest there is no shortage of drivers in France or Spain is either ill informed or a poor attempt at scoring cheap points.

Of course it is. Wishful thinking to pretend otherwise. No supply chain problems in Europe for obvious reasons. Time to face reality.
Wrong again, there are most certainly supply problems around Europe and these have been reported upon for several weeks. I suggest best you remove the blinkers…

Wrong again, there are most certainly supply problems around Europe and these have been reported upon for several weeks. I suggest best you remove the blinkers…
There are certainly no problems in Eastern Europe with the supply chain and there won't be because there is no shortage of drivers. These are self inflicted wounds in the UK which were easily foreseen except by the most blinkered Europhobes.

Which I don't entirely disagree with but the fact remains that there is a European wide shortage of Class 1 drivers which is affecting the UK more due to freedom of movement but to suggest there is no shortage of drivers in France or Spain is either ill informed or a poor attempt at scoring cheap points.

There may well be (as I've implied with my Polish delivery drivers employed by Renault scenario).The point is, however, that this hasn't disrupted the supply chains in countries which I'm familar with like Spain and France, whereas it has in the UK,for reasons to do with free movement which Blues exile has explained.You may not like it but that's the reality.

There may well be (as I've implied with my Polish delivery drivers employed by Renault scenario).The point is, however, that this hasn't disrupted the supply chains in countries which I'm familar with like Spain and France, whereas it has in the UK,for reasons to do with free movement which Blues exile has explained.You may not like it but that's the reality.
Yeah, try reading my reply again.

Back