• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

Not necessarily happy, but this made me smile this morning. Driving along the seafront at the Westcliff end we saw about 30 orthodox Jews paddling in the sea up to their knees but fully clothed and with scull caps on. Not sure whether there was any religious connection, or whether they were just having a paddle. Anyway, not a sight I've seen along the seafront before.

Not necessarily happy, but this made me smile this morning. Driving along the seafront at the Westcliff end we saw about 30 orthodox Jews paddling in the sea up to their knees but fully clothed and with scull caps on. Not sure whether there was any religious connection, or whether they were just having a paddle. Anyway, not a sight I've seen along the seafront before.

Really? There's always loads of them along the beach around the Westcliff/Chalkwell end, and I've often seen groups of them paddling, maybe not as many as that, but definitely into double figures.

You are aware, I imagine, that Westcliff traditionally has been a popular place for Jewish people?

Without wishing to be pedantic (actually I love it) they were probably hasidic Jews. Now hasidic jews are orthodox but not all orthodox jews are hasidic.
Thanks for the clarification Mr Pendant. Next time I record my happiness I'll try and remember to be factually correct. :Winking:

On a different note other than the Jewish community in Westcliff, I'm looking forward to watching Emma Raducanu for the first time. She's 18 (wild card) and made it to the last 16 of Wimbledon. She seems like someone to watch in the future.

On a different note other than the Jewish community in Westcliff, I'm looking forward to watching Emma Raducanu for the first time. She's 18 (wild card) and made it to the last 16 of Wimbledon. She seems like someone to watch in the future.

Heard that Christine Trueman was the last Bit (ish girl) to make it through to that stage:Now that's a name from the past to conjure with.

I live in Westcliff mate, does that answer your question?

It certainly should do.I know we're the same age (but I don't suppose we've had exactly the same expoeriences eg I used to go out briefly-in 6th form days- with a Westcliff girl who was Jewish).BTW I was born and brought up in Westcliff. :Winking:

Last edited:
Back