• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

Talking of Johanna Konta, a few years ago we stayed with my sister in Palm Springs. She's very keen on tennis and even in her 60s can beat almost any amateur. One of the attractions of Palm Springs for her is that it's the first ATP tour event each year. It's played at a purpose built tennis complex built by some billionaire and is immensely impressive. Anyway she dragged us along to a few first round matches and the first was Johanna Konta. Now my sister is a bit full on. She had her Union Jack and was doing the full "go Johanna" but because it was an early match we were basically the crowd. Johanna smiled a lot at us. She won. Then we saw Andy Murray lose.
When we left Palm Springs we were at the airport. I was surprised that Alexander Zverev who is seriously tall was next to us in the queue (he'd just lost to Nadal) and an elderly Frenchman was having a selfie with a very tall man who I now know was Richard Gasquet. There was also an assortment of very lean tall young women tennis players. We were on a flight to Dallas on what was basically a US Ryan Air equivalent. For some reason I thought given a lot of them were millionaires they'd not have to mix with us mere mortals.

Talking of Johanna Konta, a few years ago we stayed with my sister in Palm Springs. She's very keen on tennis and even in her 60s can beat almost any amateur. One of the attractions of Palm Springs for her is that it's the first ATP tour event each year. It's played at a purpose built tennis complex built by some billionaire and is immensely impressive. Anyway she dragged us along to a few first round matches and the first was Johanna Konta. Now my sister is a bit full on. She had her Union Jack and was doing the full "go Johanna" but because it was an early match we were basically the crowd. Johanna smiled a lot at us. She won. Then we saw Andy Murray lose.
When we left Palm Springs we were at the airport. I was surprised that Alexander Zverev who is seriously tall was next to us in the queue (he'd just lost to Nadal) and an elderly Frenchman was having a selfie with a very tall man who I now know was Richard Gasquet. There was also an assortment of very lean tall young women tennis players. We were on a flight to Dallas on what was basically a US Ryan Air equivalent. For some reason I thought given a lot of them were millionaires they'd not have to mix with us mere mortals.

We went to The Maldives for our honeymoon and had a stop over in Dohar at the same time as the tournament out there. When we came into the arrivals hall there was a guy with a board up with "Amélie Mauresmo" on it!

Trueman made the quarters in 1961
Anne Jones won Wimbledon in 1969
Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977

Don't shoot the messenger. (Just what I heard on C4 news I think).Can't say I'm all that interested in tennis but I do remember the last 2 pretty well.
(probably as a teenager were the operative words in the report which I omitted.So hang me) :Winking:

Sadly not and as a consequence I net around 54% of what I gross which is quite painful.

Shame, but it's still good news.

My current contract ends mid-September. They've already made noises about an extension, but I take that with a pinch of salt as anything could happen between now and then. It would be good though: it's a relatively good rate and outside IR35.

Shame, but it's still good news.

My current contract ends mid-September. They've already made noises about an extension, but I take that with a pinch of salt as anything could happen between now and then. It would be good though: it's a relatively good rate and outside IR35.

I am happy to be in a relatively secure role at a big bank. I still think we are in for a lot of job losses over the next few months.

HMRC and my accountant. It's not often that combination make me happy, but they have.

Because I was out of contract for 6 months last year, and had to buy a whole load of computer equipment for my business my accountant has calculated my profits so low that my corporation tax bill is around £76.00, which isn't due until January. I also helped by not invoicing anything on my new contract until the 1st May, which is the day after my company's year end. That will catch up with me in the next financial year, but I've got until Jan 2023 to worry about that.

Also, because I was out of contract for 6 months last year and took a perm role (that only lasted 3 months until I left for my current contract), not only did my accountant calculate that I have no income tax to pay, he also calculated that I was also due a refund of around £1500.00, which HMRC have already paid.

The only downside is that I usually put money aside in a separate bank account to pay my tax at the end of the year. That had a lot of money sitting there that wasn't needed, but has already been spent (by my wife) on doing up my youngest son's bedroom.

Shame, I could have used that for a bit of flying!

Back