• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
Wycombe outplayed Plymouth for the most part in both their semi-final games. I know Phil will have been looking at the tape over the last week and trying to learn something from it. I think the fans of most clubs can see what when wrong when they lose. From a Plymouth point of view they are convinced they gave Wycombe far too much respect, as in they defended very deep and tried to nullify Wycombe’s attacking flare in this way. It was only in the second half of the second leg when they finally began to attack and stopped worrying too much about Wycombe because they had nothing to lose at that point.
This is what’s niggling me going into the Wembley game. Phil Brown likes to keep it tight at the back and is happy to squeeze out a 1-0. I think if we drop deep early and give Wycombe the upper hand it could all get ugly.

Can we learn from the Plymouth game or is this a one off were all previous form is forgotten?

It is a slight concern to me that we have conceded 6 goals in the 2 games against them, I have to admit. Bolger and Barrett have to be completely on their game.

I think Phil will learn that Wycombe are deadly at headers from corners. He will have to tell our players to not ball watch, and make sure we win the headers. Don't just watch them jump and head the ball on goal and hope it doesn't go in.

I think a healthy balance is needed.

When we played them away, we got an early goal and sat back. They kept attacking and we couldn't get a foothold in the game after that. When they went 2-1 up, they knew we had to score so they picked us off on the counter attack and were deadly.

There have been a few times this season when we have gone too attacking, Morecambe away and Accrington at home spring to mind.

Wasn't ted smith in goal for the home game?

He was. He did OK in my opinion but the defence looked very nervous not having Bentley behind them. That said I believe it was Thompson and JBW at CB that day so a completely different pairing now, and a solid one at that.

People keep saying how dangerous Wycombe are at set-pieces, and they're right. However with Barrett and Bolger in the back 4 we look very solid from set-plays now and much more dangerous from attacking set-pieces too so I'm not too worried in this respect. Yes we have to be on our game defending free-kicks and corners but we've done that for the last couple of months and Wycombe will certainly be aware of our own aerial threat with the likes of Corr, :pig:, Barrett and Bolger in the X1.

I know - that's why I said it. He cracks me up as he cant go a single interview without dropping that line!!
Yeah his interviews crack me up too - 'when they cross the white line' and 'he's grabbed the shirt' are personal favourites.

I've said a few times, Wycombe score a few but they also ship a few against teams who aren't afraid to meet fire with fire. They're an attacking side and I think the wrong tactic is to try and soak it up, because we'll find ourselves 1 or 2 down before we know what's happened like Plymouth did. Unfortunately I think that's what we'll do & I won't be surprised if we do concede early on. Again. Would love to see us really go for it from the off & put them on the back foot. I think they are a team where attack is definitely the best form of defence.

Whilst we conceded 6 against them didnt we only have 10 men for 2 of those goals and had to try to get back into the game?

We did better the 2nd game though and probably should have won it.

I think that they have the advantage overall, we havent beaten them after all.

Back