• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What price is acceptable?

• £350k or less

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • £350k-£450k

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • £450k-£550k

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • £550k-£650k

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • £650k-£750k

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • £750k+

Votes: 74 31.1%
  • Don't sell

Votes: 43 18.1%
  • Bart

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
Rigsby, I appreciate what you are saying about Ryan Leonard. I agree with you he is a crucial player for Southend - probably the most crucial and he would be hard to replace - but surely it would not be good business to turn down anything over 600,000 when the player can go for free next June. Soccer is a short career, and it would be wrong to assume that Leonard will not be affected by speculation about a move to Sheffield United. I would be delighted if Leonard signed a three year contract with Southend, but somehow I cannot see this happening given the level of interest in the player from Championship clubs.

Yes your right. When you add Lenny's wages he will now be costing us £15,000 per week. However hats off to Ron because f he deserves credit for not accepting a low bid. Rumour has it he wants more than 1m . Whatever you think of Ron the lads got some balls so good luck to him.

Yes, promotion is the key but no player is irreplaceable. Keeping Ryan Leonard is no guarantee we will get promotion - we could fail for other reasons even if Leonard was an ever-present - and who is to say that Phil Brown could not get a more than adequate replacement for Leonard, especially if he still has a decent amount of time to do so before the beginning of the season.

Yes, promotion is the key but no player is irreplaceable. Keeping Ryan Leonard is no guarantee we will get promotion - we could fail for other reasons even if Leonard was an ever-present - and who is to say that Phil Brown could not get a more than adequate replacement for Leonard, especially if he still has a decent amount of time to do so before the beginning of the season.

Some players are irreplaceable if your budge can't replace them at worse case like for like !

Find me another Lenny, who has been such a king pin for us, on less than 500k and I agree , but as Sheff Utd keep coming back to Lenny , I'm assuming there isn't !

I think the club already know Leonard will not be with us regardless of what happens. What the club will be doing at the moment is concentrating on getting someone in with experience to replace him before accepting any bid and also if we buy someone before we sell Leonard they know we can't afford the big fees etc so won't keep pushing up the price like we are doing with Leonard as we know they have got all the extra money for the walker sale to city

Lenny

A good post ,I thought teams consisted of 11 players

Can anyone on here please tell me why leonard is so valuable? Hes an average midfielder who runs forward and never beats his last man? Doesent assist with goals (wasnt in the top 5 of players who provide goals? Doesent score any goals? And ive never ever seen a goal come from the long ineffective throw? Other then that hes good:smile:
Breaking down opposition attacks so effectively is why he's so valuable.

Big fuss about nothing IMHO. He is just a player wanting to move on which is exactly what WE should be doing. COYBB

£350 - £450k for me - lot of rose tinted comments on here. He is a good 3rd div player no more no less and I understand has now asked for a transfer - my policy is not to keep players who do not want to stay whoever they are - SUFC is bigger than any player :cricko:

£350 - £450k for me - lot of rose tinted comments on here. He is a good 3rd div player no more no less and I understand has now asked for a transfer - my policy is not to keep players who do not want to stay whoever they are - SUFC is bigger than any player :cricko:

You're just Grumpy:winking:

So you'd accept less than the offers we've already had? I'm glad Ron's negotiating this one and not you.

For me Ryan Leonard is an above average League 1 player, but unproven @ Championship level.
Which is why I am surprised RM hasn't accepted the £500k offered by Sheffield United.

We DID miss Ryan when he was out for periods; AND for large parts of the "MISS" games others were also missing too which may give an inflated importance to his value for us.
If he goes, or stays we need at least another central midfielder who can break up oppo attacks, read a pass, and move forward (with pace). Len, is, IIRC, the fastest player in the squad and some of his covering has been excellent because of his speed (which Woody and Tims don't have).
Now he wants to go I would hope for £750 k but anything over £500k with add ons seems acceptable.

Ok so Lenny is going to go as we should get the best possible price for him and let him move if not happy to stay. Lenny has been a brilliant player for us and imo deserves his chance at testing himself at a higher level.

The big question is who do we replace him with? I would hope that some of the funds we receive for him will be used by Brown to buy a quality player as I am sure there are players in league one or two that can. So any names that spring to mind that you would be happy to see full that role.......???

Ok so Lenny is going to go as we should get the best possible price for him and let him move if not happy to stay. Lenny has been a brilliant player for us and imo deserves his chance at testing himself at a higher level.

The big question is who do we replace him with? I would hope that some of the funds we receive for him will be used by Brown to buy a quality player as I am sure there are players in league one or two that can. So any names that spring to mind that you would be happy to see full that role.......???

McQuire at Oxford?

McQuire at Oxford?

I agree, very good player and also scores goals.
Not sure if I can forgive him for his over the top celebration in front of the west stand when he scored in the Johnston paints trophy. Complete knob!!
Might forgive him if he was scoring for us though. :winking:

I think about 600k would be acceptable for Lenny, with add ons too.

Last edited:
I agree, very good player and also scores goals.
Not sure if I can forgive him for his over the top celebration in front of the west stand when he scored in the Johnston paints trophy. Complete knob!!
Might forgive him if he was scoring for us though. :winking:

I think about 600k would be acceptable for Lenny, with add ons too.

I'd have him all day long. A great player, a wind up merchant as well ( like a lot of our players are to opposing fans - we can't be too precious when other players do it to us )

Doubt it will be anyone we have to pay a fee for. The 2 names I have been told are both over 30 and ex Championship

Can anyone on here please tell me why leonard is so valuable? Hes an average midfielder who runs forward and never beats his last man? Doesent assist with goals (wasnt in the top 5 of players who provide goals? Doesent score any goals? And ive never ever seen a goal come from the long ineffective throw? Other then that hes good:smile:

It's because he's very good.

Back