• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Roots Hall Reception for Paynter?

never understood why fans boo ex players,2 reasons why it is plain daft.

1/ shows little insight

2/abuse winds the player up which in most cases the said player always does something damaging.

never understood why fans boo ex players,2 reasons why it is plain daft.

1/ shows little insight

2/abuse winds the player up which in most cases the said player always does something damaging.

I think there are some circumstances when it is acceptable. It is the manner of the players departure that counts for me. For instance Pat Jennings Arsenal Spurs worked. Sol Campbell Spurs Arsenal didn't.

Paynter is NOT one of those cases - very harshly treated in comparison to other forwards we've had here for the last 10 years.

I think there are some circumstances when it is acceptable. It is the manner of the players departure that counts for me. For instance Pat Jennings Arsenal Spurs worked. Sol Campbell Spurs Arsenal didn't.

Paynter is NOT one of those cases - very harshly treated in comparison to other forwards we've had here for the last 10 years.

Exactly he didn't anything wrong IMO.

The treatment of JCR last season was wrong and he rammed it back down our throats!

Billy Paynter

I did not reailise that Billy Paynter had only played three times for Southend at Roots Hall. :stunned:

Are we really that quick making our mind up about a new £200k player?

I always felt that he wasn't given a chance especially when brought in to replace Freddy. I liked him as a person & think SUFC treated him appallingly

I personally hope he has a blinder today, but Aussie Keeper has a 10 out of 10 game & stops him & Swindon from scoring!! BTW I hope Barny scores a hatful!!

Nice or not.. he was crap !

He may score. He may not... but there are 50 players I'll worry about more than him this season against us

Nice or not.. he was crap !

He may score. He may not... but there are 50 players I'll worry about more than him this season against us

I may amend the above. He looked a much better player today. Gave Barrett a lot of headaches, had a great shot tipped over the bar from 30 yards, and scored .. the only downside was injuring himself celebrating.. thats more like the Paynter we knew

Paynter didn't injure himself celebrating, he'd already picked up the knock and Corr was ready to come on already when Paynter scored.

To me Paynter showed today why we should've kept him and flogged Harrold 14 months ago, but ho hum.

I may amend the above. He looked a much better player today. Gave Barrett a lot of headaches, had a great shot tipped over the bar from 30 yards, and scored .. the only downside was injuring himself celebrating.. thats more like the Paynter we knew

He gave us a lot of headaches when he played against us for Port Vale. He pulled Barrett all over the place that day as well.

Still, lets blame Peter Taylor for him having a relationship with his fictitious daughter - no doubt the same one Ricky Otto was supposed to be unnaturally familiar with, despite all evidence suggesting otherwise.

He was brought in to play alongside Freddy not replace him, they spent nearly a whole season together at the club.

I know, but it was always a case of when Freddy was going to leave. Either wayhe was badly treated by SUFC & not really given a chance. A bit like Foran!!

What reception did he get anyway? I know there wasn't really much of a murmur when the teams were read out but don't know what it was like when he first came out on the pitch for the warm up - who was in early enough to see?

Back