• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would YOU have done

steveo

mine to stay the same please
So its all Rons fault.

1)Bearing in mind staying at RH isnt financially viable for the long term survival of the Club.

2) To take control he had to buy out Delancey, which would have cost a tidy sum.

3) He hasn't got enough money so saying pump more money in isn't a sensible argument

I still think the bloke doesn't have enough money so what should he have done when he took over?

83% says it his fault, so tell us what YOU would have done if you were Ron.

Had open discussions with any investors that might have come my way.

I would have done everything he's done bar one thing. I would have made sure, by whatever means, that the players were paid on time and as per contracts because that is my biggest gripe with the man. I think he seriously underestimated the demoralising, damaging and demotivating effect it could have and we now see the price we, and lets fact it he himself, is paying for that serious mistake.

Phil

I would have done everything he's done bar one thing. I would have made sure, by whatever means, that the players were paid on time and as per contracts because that is my biggest gripe with the man. I think he seriously underestimated the demoralising, damaging and demotivating effect it could have and we now see the price we, and lets fact it he himself, is paying for that serious mistake.

Phil

To be fair, inability to pay players is a symptom of a preceding problem.

So its all Rons fault.

1)Bearing in mind staying at RH isnt financially viable for the long term survival of the Club.

2) To take control he had to buy out Delancey, which would have cost a tidy sum.

3) He hasn't got enough money so saying pump more money in isn't a sensible argument

I still think the bloke doesn't have enough money so what should he have done when he took over?

83% says it his fault, so tell us what YOU would have done if you were Ron.

I wouldnt have taken it on, I havent got enough money to buy a football club, thus is why Im not running one, lets get down to the nitty gritty here RM never has had a penny a small time charlie who had a shop front in benfleet highstreet, the man has sold spin to everyone and used everyone elses money aprart fron his own, Sounds to me like a 21st century con man, if RM was born in nigeria and came to the club as a property developer, would you trust him?? hmmmm

I wouldnt have taken it on, I havent got enough money to buy a football club, thus is why Im not running one, lets get down to the nitty gritty here RM never has had a penny a small time charlie who had a shop front in benfleet highstreet, the man has sold spin to everyone and used everyone elses money aprart fron his own, Sounds to me like a 21st century con man, if RM was born in nigeria and came to the club as a property developer, would you trust him?? hmmmm

But then we would be with the previous owners, presumably floundering around mid table mediocrity in league 2.

So its all Rons fault.

Not what Ron said in the Echo on Friday Mr Martin said: "This entire business plan is predicated on on the new stadium. If we didn't want to progress we could stay here in League One or Two and be OK. But if we want the club to mature we have to have a bigger stadium and better facilities and attract a bigger supporter base."

Not what Ron said in the Echo on Friday Mr Martin said: "This entire business plan is predicated on on the new stadium. If we didn't want to progress we could stay here in League One or Two and be OK. But if we want the club to mature we have to have a bigger stadium and better facilities and attract a bigger supporter base."

Makes things seem a lot different then, in complete contrast to his on the pitch speech saying the club would have to move to survive.

Makes things seem a lot different then, in complete contrast to his on the pitch speech saying the club would have to move to survive.

Would you rather we were like Leyton Orient ? Barry Hearn runs the club so that they break even. Their support has dwindled over the years so that a crowd of 4000 is a big event and thats only when the opposition bring a sizeable following. They also do not own their ground, they have in my opinion one of the worst stadia i have ever visited, it is souless and as for the flats built on each corner. Thay may have paid their players on time this season but they are still in the mix for relegation and if they dont go down this season they will next season. At least for whatever reason RM has shown some ambition and whether or not he makes a shedload of money from it would you rahter have had SUFC's last 6 years or Leyton Orients???

Not if he asked me for my bank account details on the phone, no.

I still fundamentally believe that Ron's fortunes are tied to our own. He was never going to be a funding chairman but one who could lead us to better things by benefitting as much from the property aspect of our future as we would (and hopefully will).

However people choose to look at it, the delays in planning approval and the global economic downturn HAVE been absolutely pivotal in what has happened to us. Our business plan has changed to a critical degree and what Ron might have been able to afford with ample headroom has turned into a struggle for every last penny.

As I still understand it, we couldn't stay where we were so we set a course for somewhere else. We were all looking forward to plain-sailing but the weather changed and we've had more than our fair share of choppy waters. The ship has been damaged and we've taken some pretty severe casualties. The shore we're headed for still looks pretty good but the questions remain as to whether we're going to get there and whether we will still be viable if we actually do.

If, in ten years time, we're a Swansea competing in the Championship, then we'll see what's going on now as a blip in our history. If, in five years time, we're a Darlington heading into the Conference, then it will have been an unmitigated disaster.

I do not see how anyone can predict how that's going to go at the moment, but we're fully invested in a course of action now and we have to see it through. Whatever way you see it, staying at Roots Hall was never an option.

I wouldn't have given Tilly £400,000 in transfer fees to spend on Foran, Revell and Harrold for a start.

Would you rather we were like Leyton Orient ? Barry Hearn runs the club so that they break even. Their support has dwindled over the years so that a crowd of 4000 is a big event and thats only when the opposition bring a sizeable following. They also do not own their ground, they have in my opinion one of the worst stadia i have ever visited, it is souless and as for the flats built on each corner. Thay may have paid their players on time this season but they are still in the mix for relegation and if they dont go down this season they will next season. At least for whatever reason RM has shown some ambition and whether or not he makes a shedload of money from it would you rahter have had SUFC's last 6 years or Leyton Orients???

No mate, I am one of the few not blaming Ron. If we end up like we were six years ago, so be it, at least we had some good times. rather that than stagnating in league 2 forever. Just hope he can build from where we are. Needs another Eastwood.

Not sold Barny & kept us in Div 1 & spent the £400K+ plus we would have saved by not getting relegated on whatever he liked. Div 2 is not an option!

If I was Ron Martin, I'd be a very worried man! He has gone so far down the road that there really is NO ALTERNATIVE and he must plough on! OK he's been a bit unlucky with the financial crash, but he took on this project 12 years ago with borrowed money and has quite clearly been far too ambitious - leading to more and more borrowing. What other business in freefall would be building BIGGER premises - but football is like no ther business, for years it seems to have treated payments to the HMRC as optional!

On his radio interview last night he still insisted that the players ARE good enough and are among the higher earners in the division - what planet is he on? He negotiated these contracts with players that are just not up to scratch and he clearly believes that throwing money at a situation solves the problem and gets him off the hook.

Selling Barnard for just 175K must go down as the biggest own goal. With him we would have stayed up - no doubt! I would think there will be 2,000 less season tickets sold this season - at least £1/2m - eye watering!

Back