• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Whats Worthing like?

Nobby Snide

Hello everyone.

We've been offered a place in Worthing, which on the face of it is quite appealing, but can anyone give me a better point of view? Sussex shrimper..can you help?

whats the jobs situation, crime, nightlife...blah blah...anything to give me an idea.

Thanks

Nobby and Loupy (Mr and Mrs Spanishshrimper)

Been there a few times when i lived in West Sussex for a year.....really like it, lovely part of the world, nice folk, decent places to eat out, property not cheap though.

Hello everyone.

We've been offered a place in Worthing, which on the face of it is quite appealing, but can anyone give me a better point of view? Sussex shrimper..can you help?

whats the jobs situation, crime, nightlife...blah blah...anything to give me an idea.

Thanks

Nobby and Loupy (Mr and Mrs Spanishshrimper)

Never set foot in the place, I'm afraid - my time in Sussex was mostly spent living in Hove with a couple of short spells in Brighton. I've known a few work colleagues from there, though I can't remember hearing anything much about Worthing one way or the other. Sorry. :unsure:

The job market around B & H is very competitive, with people moving from all over the country to work there - something which may well extend a little west. As for nightlife, B & H is the perfect double act of loud and quiet - I'd recommend it to anyone.

I lived in Brighton for a long time before moving out here and looked at buying in Worthing as an investment a few years back. It's alright - possibly it's best feature is that it's close to Brighton but I guess for you as a musician that can only be a good thing given the number of musos/creative types that live there....

I reckon you could do a helluva lot worse mate.

cheers guys...all sounds positive at the moment..even the baked potatoes!! the cost of property is not an issue, as it's rental anyway...couldnt afford to buy anywhere at the moment.

Never set foot in the place, I'm afraid - my time in Sussex was mostly spent living in Hove with a couple of short spells in Brighton. I've known a few work colleagues from there, though I can't remember hearing anything much about Worthing one way or the other. Sorry. :unsure:

The job market around B & H is very competitive, with people moving from all over the country to work there - something which may well extend a little west. As for nightlife, B & H is the perfect double act of loud and quiet - I'd recommend it to anyone.

What he said.

There are certainly worse places to live.

Shopping area is surprisingly large and a good alternative to Brighton. Local hospital is very good (we chose for our children to be born there rather than Brighton). Well served by train services both to the east and west, and if you need to get to London in the early morning, you'll be on the train soon enough to get a seat before all the Hove people get on it.

Currently has 2 Ryman teams to watch - Worthing and Horsham who are ground sharing plus a County League team, Worthing United, who seem to lose every week.

Probably the worst thing is that it often a bad place to drive to and through, you will soon get to know a Progress Road esque set of traffic lights on the northern edge of the town.

Morning Chap,

The only person I know from worthing was the sensual massage bird I use from time to time.

I like the way she tickles my arse with a feather whilst simultaneously 'polishing my sword'.

One event of note is in each March a fruit-flinging contest is held on the beach to mark the sinking of the 1000-ton SS Indiana off the coast in 1901.

Quite how the flinging of fruit is related to the sinking of a ship is unclear. What is clear is the place is obviously full of unhinged loonies.

Sounds alright.

Morning Chap,

One event of note is in each March a fruit-flinging contest is held on the beach to mark the sinking of the 1000-ton SS Indiana off the coast in 1901.

Quite how the flinging of fruit is related to the sinking of a ship is unclear. What is clear is the place is obviously full of unhinged loonies.

Sounds alright.

Perhaps it was sunk by a well timed barrage of Cox's orange pippins ?

I can tell you what Worthing's NOT like if that helps?

Palm Springs? The Great Barrier Reef? The Peruvian Andes.... Milton Keynes.... (oh doh :( )

Been to Worthing load of times and often have to cover of there if we have a decent deal to be done

Its basically a fairly nice but a bit dated seaside town. Its a mix between old people and teenage chavs with kids. The seafront itself is the main focal point and its not bad in the summer.

Thr town centre is a decent size got all the shops you would expect (Debenhams, M&S, Butplugs and Dildo etc). Lots of our colonial asylum seekers friends too.

Few nice place to eat just along the seafront and some fairly wealthy area close by (Rustington being the pick). Brighton 15 mins one way and the probably Portsmouth is next big town about 30-45 mins drive I guess.

Housing wise it gets a lot of Brighton overspill as its a fair bit cheaper than central Brighton and yet still a nice place to live.Commute to London must be 80-90 mins I think but trains are decent at peak times.

Football club wise you have Worthing of course and they are a decent side in the same league as whatever league Hornchurch are in.

Nighlife is a bit mixed. Club on the pier used to be called Rutherfords and is a meat market. I once pulled a bird who looked a bit like a bulldog there while my mate got hold of her mate who we called Cilla Black. Bars are cheaper but you do get your local seaside knobs.

Last edited:
Back