• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When dog farts smell bad!!!

What to do..

• Keep going with the fart mixture and suffer?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Go back to old food and save everyones nose?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Do nothing and watch the poor fella eat himself to death?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Try something more/less drastic?

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Winkle

Manager
Monty, a loveable three year old pedigree labrador who unfortunatly after his last visit to the vets was advised in no uncertain terms that he was suffering from a curable labrador disease... obesity! Not massive but enough to start the poor fella down the road of the worst words none to dogkind DIET.This as resulted in a new food formula ( dry very expensive dog food) which I am afraid to say is not agreeing with his colon. I.E If you can think of the worst smell you have ever smelt, double it and add 10 stink bombs you would be close to the fragrance emitting from his anus!
My dilema, should I put him back on the old food and live with a very happy dog who emitts the odd smell, or stick on the diet food and kit the house holders out with gas masks.......

YOU DECIDE.

Last edited:
First things first, how long have you been on this new diet?
Remember, when changing a dogs food (especially labs!) the dog takes time to adjust. You should have changed the food slowly, eg. Adding a bit of the new food to his dinner, then more the next night, and then more new than old, then eventually just get him eating the new diet food. Quick swap-overs make a dogs inside twist and turn and disagree with most things that enter.

If you have been on this new diet for longer than 3+ weeks, try either:
1. Adding a drop of water in his bowl. Just enough to cover the bottom of the bown but don't absoleutly soak the food and see if his bottom becomes less smelly and/or less frequent.
2. Check the packaging to see if it says anything about causing severe wind problems to see if the dog has problems or if it is something to do with the food.
3. Go back and ask the vet what to do.

Hope this was of some help? :/

If you can think of the worst smell you have ever smelt, double it and add 10 stink bombs you would be close to the fragrance emitting from his anus!

I can...... FBM after a ruby :fart:

Used to have a dog that was on a dry food diet. When she dropped her guts it cleared the room, even she got up and got out. Saying that, our cat takes the gold everytime. It's been known to strip wallpaper.

First things first, how long have you been on this new diet?
Remember, when changing a dogs food (especially labs!) the dog takes time to adjust. You should have changed the food slowly, eg. Adding a bit of the new food to his dinner, then more the next night, and then more new than old, then eventually just get him eating the new diet food. Quick swap-overs make a dogs inside twist and turn and disagree with most things that enter.

If you have been on this new diet for longer than 3+ weeks, try either:
1. Adding a drop of water in his bowl. Just enough to cover the bottom of the bown but don't absoleutly soak the food and see if his bottom becomes less smelly and/or less frequent.
2. Check the packaging to see if it says anything about causing severe wind problems to see if the dog has problems or if it is something to do with the food.
3. Go back and ask the vet what to do.

Hope this was of some help? :/

Any one who owns a labrador understands one thing and that simply is that this breed of dog has a built in gene on the xy cromosome that tells its brain that its never full up, because beleive me I have tried many times but he just keeps raising the bar. Take the other day for instance, thought I would take him for a long walk around the fen area where I live,which is resident to a small farm with different animals. I decided that we should cut across a feild because the path was quite muddy,and as we started along the route he went bounding off like a gazelle then suddenly stopped about a hundred yards in front of me. I ran up to him only to see him head first in the biggest cowpat you had ever seen and it was going down like pie mash and double licker. Now, pleaaaase, there are some things a stomach can take but his isnt one of them, there is absoulutly nothing that he would not eat,nothing! The thing is that apart from the excessive flatulence,and ability to devour anything he is a brillant loyal obedient dog.....who at the moment can clear a room of people in record time!

The eating crap thing is what all dogs are inclined to do when you feed them a bland diet - we were warned that ours may do the same thing when she was on a very plain diet for a few weeks following an infection. Suffice to say the guilty look on the dog's face when I caught her wolfing down her own business was of the "frankly it's not what I want either" variety.

As to your current problem I think Jay Shrimper has it spot on - changing the dog's diet for the better may have short-term consequences for the longer-term gain...

My late West Highland terrier went outside one hot summer evening (we used to leave the back door open) and came back to proudly present me with one of her own sun baked turds. I threw it out and 5 mins later she went out and came back in with another one which she started licking. Told her she wasn't a retriever and locked the door!

I had a labrador also - aren't they known as a life support system for a stomach? One vet (Bruce Fogle, posh Ben's dad) suggested injecting doggy dos with Tabasco Sauce but apparently labradors like the taste of that as well, unlike every other breed!

If your dog has been put on a diet by a vet i would tend to put up with it but a good short term diet is chicken, rice and grated carrots (for the dog that is).

Back