• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question When will even the loyalists start to panic?

Just a few years ago we seemed to have hundreds of trialists (and bad signings!) all of which were rubbish. Pre seasons watching Dean Holness, Jason Harris, Leke Odunsi and others is valuable time that i will never get back :( (although i was excited at the time, which shows how far we have come)

And Clarke a "a disasterous signing!" ???

He was played out of position for how long?

Will Sir Alex F. be playing Michael Owen at centre back for the first half of his first season at a new club?

Even though he believed that he was Glen Hoddle, although most of his 80 yard passed sprayed out into the west stand, he was one of the best defenders we have had for years.

The annual accounts may say one thing - RM himself says, or at least implies, something completely different. As I said, totally mixed signals.

It doesn't seem like mixed signals to me - the accounts show clear as day that we're losing cash hand over fist. However if a player comes along who is available at the right price and represents a decent investment then there's some funds available. Personally when we've lost £50k per week every week for the last two years (as evidenced by the 08/08 accounts and RM's forecasts for the 08/09 accounts) I'd query the wisdom of spending a penny on transfer fees.

Do they? I am still struggling to understand why, or even if, we are operating on a shoestring budget?

Where have the club ever said they are in a bad position financially, and are having to be unbelievably prudent when it comes to signing players?

Of course we're financially screwed - and that manifests itself in the fact that for all the talk of transfer fees, the only players we're looking at are free-transfers. I also reckon that we will find ourselves amongst the lower wage-payers in the division this coming season. We'll be in the bottom 6 or 7, I reckon.

As any financier will tell you, a lot of the financial viability of a company is closely connected to confidence in that company. Northern Rock was probably screwed for several months - but you didn't get a run on it until confidence vanished. You can therefore see why Ron doesn't want to go around publicising that we're up the creek financially - if he did that, then frankly we'd struggle to persuade even the free transfers to come and join us.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of our situation must know that, in truth, we're in dire financial straits. Between Jobson, Main, Storrie, Whelan and The Chipmunk, we ran up several million pounds' worth of debt. That debt was sold to Delancey - who were very much property developers of the rapacious kind and whom, I sure, would have kicked us out of Roots Hall in the manner of Brighton being kicked out of the Goldstone were it not for that precious restrictive covenant on the use of Roots Hall.

So, there we were with Delancey accruing their debt, and Ron Martin beginning to wonder whether he might have a go at turning the club into something. Ron has showed that, at the very least, he is a man committed to SE Essex and Southend in particular; the fact that his company built the new Southend campus for the University of Essex is testament to that.

Ron therefore decided to buy out the Delancey "half" (in fact, more like two-thirds) of the ownership of RHL and SUFC Limited. He was required to fund the purchase of that debt - which I seem to recall coming from a loan from the Bank of Ireland. It is that debt which concerns me most - especially when, in answer to a question I put to him, he informed me that the debt wasn't being serviced. If it isn't being serviced, then it's growing.

I must hold my hands up and say that I'm very much not in possession of even half the facts of the situation. I don't know how big the debt is. I don't know what agreements, if any, exist between SUFC Limited, Roots Hall Limited, Martin Dawn and the Bank of Ireland as to the debt which is (presumably) currently charged against Roots Hall. I don't know what the sale price of the Roots Hall site would be to Sainsbury - and whether it is being sold as is, or with the stadium demolished, or complete with the supermarket and flats built. I can only hope that the value of the Roots Hall site is greater than the debts currently registered against it - although that may be a fairly folorn hope. And I have little or no idea where the funding for the FF development is coming from.

There are a lot of unanswered questions, and if I thought about them too long or too hard then - in answer to Rusty's initial question - I might be inclined to panic.

As for the footballing side of things, it rather has the feel of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. I never really worry too much about the footballing side of things, though, because Tilly & Brush will see us right, whatever the case may be; and I also think we'll be stronger than at least 5 sides this season (Yeovil, Carlisle, Exeter, Gillingham, Stockport), not to mention having 10 more points than Southampton already.

So, in answer to Rusty's question, I'll only start panicking if:

(a) Tilly leaves;
(b) We're in the bottom 4 at Christmas; or
(c) There has been no progress in terms of the new ground by this time next year.

Other than that, we'll be OK.

Matt

Last edited:
Just a few years ago we seemed to have hundreds of trialists (and bad signings!) all of which were rubbish. Pre seasons watching Dean Holness, Jason Harris, Leke Odunsi and others is valuable time that i will never get back :( (although i was excited at the time, which shows how far we have come)

And Clarke a "a disasterous signing!" ???

He was played out of position for how long?

Will Sir Alex F. be playing Michael Owen at centre back for the first half of his first season at a new club?

Even though he believed that he was Glen Hoddle, although most of his 80 yard passed sprayed out into the west stand, he was one of the best defenders we have had for years.

Forget pre-seasons, how about the seasons watching the likes of Dean Holness and Jason Harris?

I also think you may be confusing Peter Clarke playing out of position, with him being caught out of position. The reason he played a dozen or so games in midfield in our championship season was because he wasn't good enough to get into our central defence.

For two and a half seasons of the three years he was at the club, we were held back by our defence. Even if you don't hold his lacklustre championship season against him on account of being played out of position part of the year when he wasn't good enough to get into the team in his primary position, it doesn't explain how in our first season back in league one, we were the second (?) top scorers, yet barely scraped into the play-offs because of our defensive record.

I'm not overly panicing but having decided a few months ago not to renew my Season card I feel a bit more detached and distant from it all. The first brick out of the wall was Bailey being sold last season without any money really being spent on a replacement. We got by last season with some shrewd loan signings, with Clarke gone and no replacement as yet it looks like this year looks like to be heading for more of the same. Hopefully it will be more in the style of Dervite and Theo than Robert Milsom and Kerry Gilbert.

It is a bit worrying for a professional club to be two weeks away from a new season with one (now injured) centre back in the ranks.

Back