• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which "striker" has been the biggest let down.

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Sitting in the rafters at St Marys yesterday the one thing that dawned on me was how terrible our options upfront without the god that is Freddy really are.

I can honestly say ithnk I had more confidence in the division two striker force of Fred, Tes, Wayne Gray and Dudders than I do this current lot.

Not wanting to ge negative but all of them have not really failed to deliver in my book. If we could I would be tempted to chop them all in bar Freddy of course and start again with the possible exception of Hooper.

Who in your book has been the biggest let down.

Last edited:
Got to be Harrold absolutely useless! Looks so promising in the pre match warm up's with the crosses. He is the only player that gets them all in! But when in the match he gets pushed off the ball easily. Always facing the wrong way and won't turn and just well a **** player. No way Championship level don't even think he is league 1 or 2 material.

I wanted the double poll option because Bradders has been Pants too

Foran by a country mile, a total waste of money (thanks Motherwell) who wanted to sign to hook up again with his drinking buddies Hammell & Macca rather than prove himself in the Championship.

Harrold has probably done better than anybody expected & who knows (it's a big ask but possibly) could be one for the future, hence why T&B spent months tracking him.

Bradbury should never have been played up front, his natural position is more suited to where we played him in L1.

Paynter could come good if he wants to do a Clarkey & prove the boo boys wrong.

Hooper should be given another longer-term contract and possibly could do something in L1 too for us.

I think people are way to harsh on Bradbury. Just because he hasn't scored many goals doesn't mean he is a let down. He has created chances for other players to score, he holds the ball up well. I think he has done not a bad job for a player of his stature.

Bradbury - Disappointing, would probably be ok if we were in League 1.

Harrold - I know for a fact this was a purchase for the future. Tilly and Brush didnt really want him having much first team action, but instead wanted to bulk him up in the gym etc to make him more into a target man. Sadly, after spending most of the season in the gym, he cannot seem to bulk up at all, and will remain the 'Bambi' that he currently is.

Paynter - Hounded out by the boo boys, plus also forced out after a alledged training ground bust up with Maher (and we know it wouldnt be Maher shown the door)

Foran - Blown hot and cold, started off well, then went crap, but yesterday showed some promise again

Hooper - Will see more from him next year hopefully.

Paynter - Hounded out by the boo boys, plus also forced out after a alledged training ground bust up with Maher (and we know it wouldnt be Maher shown the door)

Now this is a rumour I've not heard anything about before.
Wonder if there's any truth in it.

Sorry but think Bradbury is awful - never a striker in a million years. Its no good saying he holds the ball up well as we have no-one to put the bloody thing in the back of the net.

Harrold is ok if your bringing him on for the last 5 mins only

Paynter was awful - hated him after his 1st touch where he just hoofed the ball 3 miles in the air

Foran started well but went back down to the sh*te Scottish Premier level

Hooper - gone off the boil but maybe worth a chance in Div.1

Well, I did put alledged but the person who told me this and other snippets rarely turns out to be wrong. ;)

Sorry but think Bradbury is awful - never a striker in a million years. Its no good saying he holds the ball up well as we have no-one to put the bloody thing in the back of the net.

My point exactly! He has been brought in to hold the ball up and he has done a great job of it. Its not his fault his partner(s) can't score is it?

My point exactly! He has been brought in to hold the ball up and he has done a great job of it. Its not his fault his partner(s) can't score is it?

Even as a secondry striker we should have been hoping for 7-8 goals in my book not his pitiful four.:mad:

How can you say Hooper was off the boil? It was his first start in 6 weeks after an ankle injury and he wasn't fully fit!

The biggest disapointment isn't even in the poll.

Ricketts.

Ex England international brought in, obvious talent and scored bagfulls at this level before and at a higher level with Bolton. Would be the perfect foil for Eastwood and a strike force to be reckoned with. Well, at least that was the promise and after bagging 2 in a friendly against Wakering, nobody can say they weren't dreaming of that Eastwood and Ricketts partnership causing havoc.

Turns out we had signed a fat, useless waster with a drink and diet problem and with an attitude to match. Caused problems on the training ground and off the pitch entirely and ended up being sacked for being obese and no hope of turning it around.

We brought him in and put too much faith in him, and thats ultimately what cost us this season IMO... It's no coincedence our 17 match winless run coincided with the fall out from the Ricketts situation.

How can you say Hooper was off the boil? It was his first start in 6 weeks after an ankle injury and he wasn't fully fit!

I wasnt really referring to his performace yesterday but my point was having watched the reserve games he started off on fire and I was calling for him to be called upto 1st team - once he got dropped again his performances went off the boil and never seemed to capture his initial burst on the scene and never looked like getting back for a 1st team call up

The biggest disapointment isn't even in the poll.

Ricketts.

Ex England international brought in, obvious talent and scored bagfulls at this level before and at a higher level with Bolton. Would be the perfect foil for Eastwood and a strike force to be reckoned with. Well, at least that was the promise and after bagging 2 in a friendly against Wakering, nobody can say they weren't dreaming of that Eastwood and Ricketts partnership causing havoc.

Turns out we had signed a fat, useless waster with a drink and diet problem and with an attitude to match. Caused problems on the training ground and off the pitch entirely and ended up being sacked for being obese and no hope of turning it around.

We brought him in and put too much faith in him, and thats ultimately what cost us this season IMO... It's no coincedence our 17 match winless run coincided with the fall out from the Ricketts situation.

If I had put Ricketts in the poll it would have been a landslide I fear.
:)

Bradders worked as hard as he could and gave us everything that he has. I'd never criticise a player for doing that so I don't see how he could have "let us down".

Paynter is the biggest disappointment for whatever reason. Yeah, he may come good if given the chance but right now he'd be the one I'd go for.

Even as a secondry striker we should have been hoping for 7-8 goals in my book not his pitiful four.:mad:

Spot on - your 2nd striker stills need to score unless your main striker is banging in 30 goals. His goal ratio was poor much worse than Harrold (bradders 32 games 5 goals, harrold 13 games 3 goals). The think is he never even looks like scoring at all in a game

They have all been very disappointing with none of them worthy of the Championship .None of them have that extra something that can Carve Open a defence or the ability to beat a Man with the Ball or are deadly enough (when) they actually get a Shot in .None of these Strikers would get in the Luton First Team that finished below us .Strikers with Pace that Score Goals is the only way forward ,this would also stop the opposition bombing forward and putting too much pressure on our leaky defence as they know they can do this and still catch up with our Tortoise Strikers if they lose possesion .

What the hell is the point of this? Lets slag off our players left right and centre! I think we are all agreed that our strikeforce has been a let down this year but there is surely no need for this open invitation to pour abuse on them? Nothing in the least constructive about this thread.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Back