• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which "striker" has been the biggest let down.

Options

• Total voters
What the hell is the point of this? Lets slag off our players left right and centre! I think we are all agreed that our strikeforce has been a let down this year but there is surely no need for this open invitation to pour abuse on them? Nothing in the least constructive about this thread.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

My point was to open a debate. Would you have been so upset by a poll asking which one has done best?

Its been a poor season and I dont see any reason why we cant debate which players has been a let down?

What the hell is the point of this? Lets slag off our players left right and centre! I think we are all agreed that our strikeforce has been a let down this year but there is surely no need for this open invitation to pour abuse on them? Nothing in the least constructive about this thread.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I disagree. We've been relegated, with one of the worst defences (and over-rated keepers), a totally inability to score goals and we're supposed to sit back and hope that it will all come good next season ?

I'm all for keeping faith with Tilly and Brush but some explanations about the disappointing season that's just finished and pointers for next season are badly needed.

We can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend the existing squad is good enough to get us promoted. Without Freddy the existing squad would do well to keep us in the top half next season.

We can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend the existing squad is good enough to get us promoted. Without Freddy the existing squad would do well to keep us in the top half next season.

Yeah, but I think the point is that we now have three long months to do that. I know that I'm certainly still on a high from yesterday and it'll be a few days at least before I'm ready to really get into analysing what has gone wrong and what we can do about it for next season.

Yeah, but I think the point is that we now have three long months to do that. I know that I'm certainly still on a high from yesterday and it'll be a few days at least before I'm ready to really get into analysing what has gone wrong and what we can do about it for next season.

You're right. We don't need to knee-jerk but some of these "arise-Sir Tilly" type threads are a little tiresome when relegation has sunk in. I'd rather the planning was done now rather than panic buying rejects towards the end of July.

My point was to open a debate. Would you have been so upset by a poll asking which one has done best?

Its been a poor season and I dont see any reason why we cant debate which players has been a let down?

But a debate that is already geared towards endless negativity, an open invitation to abuse our players. Surely we know that our strike force has been inadequate, what benefit is there in this poll? A debate on which one has been the best (or least worse, if you will) would have at least left the door open to aknowledge what positive attributes they might have, and been balanced. Reading some of the abuse on here is toe-curling and embarrasing. Did we learn nothing from the mindless abuse that Paynter got?

I disagree. We've been relegated, with one of the worst defences (and over-rated keepers), a totally inability to score goals and we're supposed to sit back and hope that it will all come good next season ?

I'm all for keeping faith with Tilly and Brush but some explanations about the disappointing season that's just finished and pointers for next season are badly needed.

But I'm not burying my head, I fully accept that the existing squad isn't good enough. A debate over which players we should keep and which should go is of course relevant and appropriate. But this debate has been set up in such a way that all that is being discussed, or almost all, is how p!ss-poor certain of our players are, and I see no benefit in that at all, and a lot of harm. For a debate to be useful, I think it needs to be balanced, and not JUST focusing on the negative. There is a huge difference between fair criticism and abuse.

Hooper is an excellent player, and has not been given a chance to build on it, he will be a huge player for us next season

For me i just don't think Bradbury offers the team enough. Some great touches and flashes of brilliance but 3/4 goals for a regular starting striker is just not good enough. He's fouled a player and then shrugged his sholders more times than a illegal imigrant being questioned by Dover police in the back of a lorry!

i think bradbury has been the bigst dissapointment. we all love him but he has played so many games and made little affect. in the championship you have to have strikers than can score but sadly he can't. he hasn't got the legs for it anymore. i think he will be better next season as the standard is lower

They have all been very disappointing with none of them worthy of the Championship .None of them have that extra something that can Carve Open a defence or the ability to beat a Man with the Ball or are deadly enough (when) they actually get a Shot in .None of these Strikers would get in the Luton First Team that finished below us .Strikers with Pace that Score Goals is the only way forward ,this would also stop the opposition bombing forward and putting too much pressure on our leaky defence as they know they can do this and still catch up with our Tortoise Strikers if they lose possesion .

Couldn't agree more, in fact I would even say that we would be comfortable mid-table if we had held on to Gray. We have had nobody with pace up front and this lot without Fred worries me more than at any time in the last 30 years. Where as I applaud Tilly in trying to build a team that plays good football, builds up slowly and has players comfortable with the ball into feet, you sometimes just need someone who has the speed to out run a deffence.

Couldn't agree more, in fact I would even say that we would be comfortable mid-table if we had held on to Gray. We have had nobody with pace up front and this lot without Fred worries me more than at any time in the last 30 years. Where as I applaud Tilly in trying to build a team that plays good football, builds up slowly and has players comfortable with the ball into feet, you sometimes just need someone who has the speed to out run a deffence.
Afraid I disagree with this one. It's amazing how people suddenly think everyone who left us last year was amazing and would have been brilliant in the Championship.

The reason they left was because they were not good enough and if they were, why didn't another Championship team suddenly jump on the chance to sign them up??

Yes Wayne Gray had pace but that was it. He had little ball control, had a terrible first touch but most importantly his reactions were terrible. He never anticipated any through balls played through to him.

I don't want to be negative about him (although I realise the above paragraph contradicts this one) as he served us well in the 2 promotion seasons and don't want to think bad of him. But to say he would have done well for us - well I can't see it personally and if he had stayed he would have been villified like the rest of our unfortunate strikers have been on here.

Foran for me.

Bradbury does a good team job, whilst we knew all about Harrold before he signed and didn't expect much. Foran was brought in for a decent fee to help us to safety and only managed 1 goal and 1 good performance. He came into a team getting a few good results, which had a bit of confidence, where as Paynter played when we struggled massively as a team.

Couldn't agree more, in fact I would even say that we would be comfortable mid-table if we had held on to Gray. .

Hahahahahahahaha. Ive just wet myself.

Heres an explanation, we came from League One and were then in the Championship which is full of far bigger clubs with far more money.
Whilst I dont see us pushing for promotion we will do better next seasn than this one...

Last edited:
Another (constructive) spanner to throw in the works then.

Is the current squad we have better than the squad that we gained promotion with. Let's assume Eastwood stays for the purposes of the comparison. That means we have to compare the current team with the likes of those discarded upon promotion.

Would any of Jupp/Bentley/Gray plus whoever else I've missed be preferred against some of the current incumbents ?

Back