• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who are these 639,000 people

Rhod Gilbert is probably the best comedian I've seen live. His gradual build up of angst is a site to behold. Very very funny.

Back in (I think) 1990 I managed to get some free tickets for an alternative comedians night at somewhere in Brentwood, and compered by Jo Brand. Most of the night was forgettable, brand was vulgar without being funny, and the only other act I remember was Frank Sidebottom.

By the time the final act came on, the crowd (most of whom had actually paid) were getting a tad restless, and my mate and I almost felt sorry for the final comedian. It was Jack Dee! Few minutes later, and everybody was in stitches. I've never seen anybody turn around a crowd (positively) that quickly. No need for vulgarity, no need for slap stick, just funny.

Drastic™;1473551 said:
I have nothing against female stand-ups, although I can't think of many that I like, I can think of far more excellent comic actresses. I quite like Sarah Millican, and although I'm not a fan of Miranda I can't really see why some actively hate her so much, inoffensive slapstick humour. No fan of Brand but Vic Wood and French & Saunders (more sketch though) are good, and more recently Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Kristen Schaal & Josie Long. Most of my favourite comics are men though, although I can't stand Peter Kay and Frankie Boyle lost his appeal after a while.

Have we had a SZ Battle of the Stand-Ups? I know we had a sitcom one.

Hattie Hatridge always used to make me laugh - and I fancied her for some reason - a good example of her humour is "I had a really bad experience with drugs a few years ago which really screwed my head in. My hairdresser was a junkie."

I think it's pretty offensive to turn around and say 'blokes don't like female comics'.
I didn't say that though, did I? I just know that whenever we've discussed comedy people have generally been pretty scathing towards the ladies, I remember the "Battle of the Sitcoms" and how hard I hate to fight for dinnerladies! I know there are men that do share a liking for some of the same types of comedy (sketches or performers) as me but on SZ, they're pretty thin on the ground!

As it goes, I think Lucy Porter is pretty good on "Mock the Week" but some of the female guests they've had on there make me cringe, they just seem to be there to shock....and the only person that does that well on the show has always been Frankie Boyle!

I do think you blokes generally tend to not like female comediennes

I think it's pretty offensive to turn around and say 'blokes don't like female comics'.

I didn't say that though, did I?

tumblr_lzarqfhTXL1qg63qpo1_250.gif

Back in (I think) 1990 I managed to get some free tickets for an alternative comedians night at somewhere in Brentwood, and compered by Jo Brand. Most of the night was forgettable, brand was vulgar without being funny, and the only other act I remember was Frank Sidebottom.

By the time the final act came on, the crowd (most of whom had actually paid) were getting a tad restless, and my mate and I almost felt sorry for the final comedian. It was Jack Dee! Few minutes later, and everybody was in stitches. I've never seen anybody turn around a crowd (positively) that quickly. No need for vulgarity, no need for slap stick, just funny.

Jack Dee is one of my favourite's, he cracks me up.

Women don't tend to be able to do humour but at least Tina Fey would have the decency to make me pretend to laugh. Purely in a 'Dude, I quite fancy your mum' kind of way you understand...

84061.jpg

Tina Fey is funny (SNL, 30Rock), but yeah even if she wasn't I'd laugh.

Drastic™;1473551 said:
I have nothing against female stand-ups, although I can't think of many that I like, I can think of far more excellent comic actresses. I quite like Sarah Millican, and although I'm not a fan of Miranda I can't really see why some actively hate her so much, inoffensive slapstick humour. No fan of Brand but Vic Wood and French & Saunders (more sketch though) are good, and more recently Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Kristen Schaal & Josie Long. Most of my favourite comics are men though, although I can't stand Peter Kay and Frankie Boyle lost his appeal after a while.

Have we had a SZ Battle of the Stand-Ups? I know we had a sitcom one.

I watch a fair bit of live stand-up and can categorically state that Josie Long is the worst stand-up I've seen.

I've seen her act three times now (because it's been the same act each time) and it's been painful each time. At least the mad bloke in the open mic spot was so bad he was funny. Thank God there was a decent headliner.

Michael McIntyre's humour isn't my cup of tea but at least he's fairly good at what he does. There are far worse out there, even if you limit it to those on TV. Disliking him is a cliche.

Don't think we've had a Battle of the Stand-Ups but we've done this subject loads of times. And the correct answer is always Daniel Kitson.

Pubey, this is what I wrote....please note the word "generally", and take it in the context I wrote...
I do think you blokes generally tend to not like female comediennes ....Jo Brand, you don't like....Victoria Wood, you don't like. Maybe you're pre-disposed not to appreciate their more gentle but quite scathing in its way humour?

Women can't do comedy. Just something they're not good at.

And I suppose Pubey won't have a problem with this statement although it doesn't have any conditional word in it like my statement did?

I suspect French and Saunders, Sandi Toksvig, June Whitfield and others who have had a long career in comedy might disagree very strongly.

Pubey, this is what I wrote....please note the word "generally", and take it in the context I wrote...

And I suppose Pubey won't have a problem with this statement although it doesn't have any conditional word in it like my statement did?

I suspect French and Saunders, Sandi Toksvig, June Whitfield and others who have had a long career in comedy might disagree very strongly.

First time I'd heard that generally was a "conditional word" although it's certainly a modifier in this particular context.:winking:
On topic, I quite like the Asian comédienne,Shappi Khorsand.

So you're still making a sweeping generalisation... just trying to mask it a little.

Gotcha

Last edited:
Comedy acting is a whole different ball game - look at the history of British TV comedy and there's a wealth of great female talent (like June Whitfield as you rightly say). But as has already been pointed out by many, women just can't do stand-up.

I am amazed by the money some of these guys earn.

McIntryre I think is good. Jason Manford I really like and Rhod Gilbert. Bishop used to be ok in the old days before he started doing these terrible scipted BBC programmes but the rest of them - absolute *****.

I also have a theory that women are never funny. French and Saunders, Sarah Millicombe, Miranda, Jo Brand, - hate em all. Not one of them has ever made me laugh. I can only think women find them funny.

Most hated are Lenny Henry ( Every joke about being black), Tim Vine (bore) and thr guy that does not going out.....hate them.....

I like Tim Vine. I hurt with laughter after seeing him at the Palace. Also saw his chatshow type performance in Harlow which was very clever - he picked random people to interview. Very brave but worked very well.

Back