• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who remembers League Division 4?

I'm sure we played Workington in the snow at RH. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Think it was in December. They had red shirts and white shorts.

This one.

s-l1600.jpg

Think you are talking about 1949/50 season? We finished 3rd but it was Northampton who were second. Both teams had 51 points but they went up on goal average. We actually had a better goal difference than Northampton.
Im sure 1953 Borient pipped us by 1 pint , hopefully my memory isnt that bad even though i may be olddddddddddddd

was at that game as well.The South bank was closed because of snow,was in the West side,think that was Bill Garners first game for us or at least his first home game for us.???
Yes, no ball boys either. There were long delays when players had to climb over the wall and retrieve the ball from the snow covered terrace.

Loved the div 4 days of the mid to late 70's. My early years supporting the Blues.

Especially getting comps from the players at the away games up North or in Devon. lol.

One of the first matches I can recall at The Hall was a friendly against Wolves (they had Andy Gray playing for them).

According to Peter Mason's book he had played at Wrexham in a 4-0 defeat on October 4th and came on as sub at Gillingham in the cup replay.

He joined us in 1960, when he was 19, played just over 300 games scoring 66 goals. A real club legend.

He left for Cambridge United and played 18 times in 1970/71 in their first season in the League.

Daily Mirror. London. 8 October 1968. p. 31. Southend left winger John McKinven, the victim of a late tackle, was carried off with a fractured leg in the eighth minute. Graham Taylor playing for Lincoln -the only way he could stop him..

John passed away 5 years ago aged 73.
Mates and me referred to him as Johnny McGreaseback. He was still sporting very unfashionable Brylcreem in the Summer of Love whilst bobbing down the wing with hunched shoulders.
Always looked as if he might have had a fag lit for him as he came off!

Were you at Roots on Saturday? We had Dave as one of our SUEPA guests with his pal and fellow ex Shrimper Ken Reynolds. Loads more pics of the day, stories they shared etc on the SUEPA Facebook page - take a look now!View attachment 9424
And there he is!
That ginger barnet (pun intended) has been and gone, I see.
'Fraid I wasn't there, but we've exchanged messages here in the recent past, and I'll certainly look at the Facebook page.
Thanks for the post.

Mates and me referred to him as Johnny McGreaseback. He was still sporting very unfashionable Brylcreem in the Summer of Love whilst bobbing down the wing with hunched shoulders.
Always looked as if he might have had a fag lit for him as he came off!

I’m sure that in the Bushell’s film in the sixties there’s a shot of him having a fag on a train on the way to an away game.

Happy days.

today, 1970, as a 13 year old i was at one of the most memorable Blues games ever...
Peterbrough utd 3 Billy Best 4
A day that still makes proud to be a Blues/ Billy Best fan.
Ive got the prog in the loft,might look for it tomorrow,im sure Nobbler was there,maybe Pete(DOTS) also,but was anybody else?
Cannot remember the teams,crowd...maybe you can help?
but another great day supporting the lads in the 70s

today, 1970, as a 13 year old i was at one of the most memorable Blues games ever...
Ive got the prog in the loft,might look for it tomorrow,im sure Nobbler was there,maybe Pete(DOTS) also,but was anybody else?
I was there - half crown pocket money - shilling on the No. 7 bus from shoebury - shilling to get in - walk back to shoebury getting a 6d worth of chips down the seafront on the way home

One of the first matches I can recall at The Hall was a friendly against Wolves (they had Andy Gray playing for them).
I remember waiting in the car park after that game so my son could get his autograph. He walked right past everyone never liked him after that.

Hi Ozzie,
Yes I was there and our team line up was as follows:- Trevor Roberts, Pat Wright, Owen Simpson John Kurila, Maurice Kyle, Joe Jacques, Peter Hunt, Billy Best, Bill Garner, Phil Chisnall & Mike Beesley. Sub:Dave Chambers. Att: 4,911. (Pat Wright & Maurice Kyle were on loan players from Derby County & Oxford United). As you quite rightly said Billy Best scored all four goals which included a first half hat-trick in just four minutes. (Think this maybe the last time a Southend United player scored four goals in an away match in either league or cup?). Southend led 3-2 at half-time. Peterborough United's goals were scored Jim Hall, Ollie Conmy & John Wile.

Back