• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
I'd say Bwomono, Clifford, Gard and Kelman will be able to hold their own - they did at League One level, so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to down a division. There are then a few more in Phillips, Hutchinson, Mitchell-Nelson, Acquah, Kinali etc who have flashed promise and may flourish down a level and/or just being a year older and wiser.

The kids seem to be quite tight and that can go a long way towards team spirit so I'd try and build on that and make Elvis captain.

Add in three experienced pros (they don't have to be over 30 but they do need to have 150+ games under their belt) specifically a centre-half who can organise, a midfield enforcer and a targetman who can hold the ball up and that seems like something to build on.

Honestly can't see Elvis being here much next season if at all.

Honestly can't see Elvis being here much next season if at all.

Know something we don't OBL?

I'm fairly positive we can keep the majority of our young players. With all the uncertainty going on I think clubs will prioritise their budgets/signings and I don't think a young right back who has just been relegated will be the top of their list.

Who even were the clubs that were originally in for Elvis?

Know something we don't OBL?

I'm fairly positive we can keep the majority of our young players. With all the uncertainty going on I think clubs will prioritise their budgets/signings and I don't think a young right back who has just been relegated will be the top of their list.

Who even were the clubs that were originally in for Elvis?
There were a few I think, Charlton and a couple of others IIRC. The old POTY curse, obviously!

There were a few I think, Charlton and a couple of others IIRC. The old POTY curse, obviously!

Ah yes! Charlton, I remember now. Well they have serious problems theirselves right now so maybe for our sake they will be winding down their recruitment.

I think it is important too that the new manager plays to the strengths within the squad rather than trying to implement a certain style or system regardless of the players available.

I hope both stay but would totally understand if they left.

particularly since the club has just sacked off a class managment team and is trawling the National league to find someone to do some shouting and badge kissinng ...

pathetic

particularly since the club has just sacked off a class managment team and is trawling the National league to find someone to do some shouting and badge kissinng ...

pathetic

Class how exactly?

Andy Cole popped in for a couple of hours here and there

The fitness fella did about 2 hours per week

Sol didn't even know the players names half the time and left everyone bewildered with his team talks. Half the squad hated him and he was trying to crack on with a players girlfriend. Hardly a solid manager. He didn't even know the name of the team he was managing and spent more time posting **** on Instagram.

Herman was the only one he seemed interested in the team the club and moving us forward.

Not to mention that the above management team were costing us a million+, per season.

We are flat broke. We can't afford that anyway

pathetic

"Class" management team? For crying out loud, pull yourself together man. We get it. You still, for some unknown reason, have a raging chub on for Sol and are drowning your sorrows. Why the hard-on for so-called "big names"? I've seen you claiming that many on this forum are "ignorant" - i.e. don't have all the facts or are unable to see the obvious wood for the trees. Might I suggest that you take a look in the mirror?

He's gone, and good riddance. Time to move on. Got no time for self-obsessed Billy Big Bollocks like Sol Campbell who think they're bigger than the club and look down their nose at the loyal fans.

pathetic

I'm not sure if you've noticed but we're in the midst of a global pandemic, the club has had no income for 4 months and was deep in the financial **** before that anyway.

Players haven't been paid, we've been under a transfer embargo for about 17 years or so it seems.

So we're probably not going to be hiring Jurgen Klopp, I'm afraid.

Anyone that says Fagan is Dulles and doesn’t know football. He was working in a gym two years ago. He isn’t ready for this step. The only one in that list that deserves a shot is Maher. He got experience coaching in the league knows the club inside out and the crop of youngsters we got too. Fagan needs to stick to picking a pocket or two before stepping up to the big leagues.

Anyone that says Fagan is Dulles and doesn’t know football. He was working in a gym two years ago. He isn’t ready for this step. The only one in that list that deserves a shot is Maher. He got experience coaching in the league knows the club inside out and the crop of youngsters we got too. Fagan needs to stick to picking a pocket or two before stepping up to the big leagues.

Successful soccer management is not always about insider knowledge and experience. It is also about judgement, knowing how to motivate different types of player, and having a good eye for assessing the strengths and weaknesses of players. Since he has joined the club, Craig Fagan has been impressive on many fronts and it is revealing that Simon Cox, a former senior player, went out of his way to publicly praise him and recommend him for the position of manager at Southend.

I also think Kevin Maher might be a good choice, but is surely he is under contract at Bristol Rovers?

I can’t understand this obsession some have with hiring a manager with links to the club. I’m not against it but it shouldn’t be a meaningful factor in any decision. I look at successful managers and would suggest the majority didn’t have prior relationships or in depth knowledge of the clubs they’ve been successful at. ie Klopp, Mourinho, Ferguson and if you want to relate more on our level Sturrock. It is more about character, motivation, man management, tactics, scouting etc

Back