• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Out of interest who would take Chris Powell back?

It’s rarely a good idea to revisit the past, especially when that past is so fractured.

I would have Chrissy Powell back, but probably not right now. In the future maybe.

We’ve got a potentially turbulent season in front of us, I don’t think large swathes of the fanbase crucifying the manager after losing two on-the-bounce is going to be conducive to our plight.

I wouldn’t say no to PB coming back, it’s just can he get the best out of the youngsters as I don’t think there will be a single £ to spend in the first season back in league two.

Reactions: axe
Would love to see Chris Powell given another chance, but it won't happen. Brown surely doesn't fit the young and committed manager Ron is looking for. He would be touting himself for every dream job going !

Brown in my opinion started the rot within the first team. Some of his signings were pretty poor.

Would love to see Chris Powell given another chance, but it won't happen. Brown surely doesn't fit the young and committed manager Ron is looking for. He would be touting himself for every dream job going !

Brown in my opinion started the rot within the first team. Some of his signings were pretty poor.
In the last 12 on this I would agree, before that there were some decent signings, especially those that took us up

This is quite simply a 3 horse race in my eyes with Barrett very very unlikely it’s almost certainly between Fagan and Maher

I fail to understand the compunction to look to the past instead of the future. Our heroes of yesteryear are, as with Powell, likely to lose some of the lustre from their golden image if they fail to impress as a manager. Give a new guy the chance. Someone hungry, ambitious and above all grateful for the opportunity. Too many of the names bandied about give me the impression they think they would be doing us a favour.
A good post. I would think Craig Fagan is worth a go. He has no baggage. he has been here three years so knows the lie of the land and has brought on a good bunch of youngsters.

Would think that Wayne Brown would be top of the Colchester wanted list. Not sure Craig Fagan would be in the frame for a return.

Brown had a significant number of Academy players at Maldon and Tiptree, which has to be seen as an advantage.

Wayne was offered the job a few years back and said he didn't want it due to lack of managerial experience at 1st team level. Now with a few years under his belt managing Maldon and Tiptree he may be more ready to give it a go, but it would still be a massive leap for him. I think John has been gone for several days now, so any enquiries about people we may like as a manager are probably already under way, I have heard nothing about any interest in Fagan. John sounds likely to end up managing his home town team Tranmere, he has been in the running from the minute Micky Mellon left. I don't know why John left us, there were rumours of disagreements behind the scenes after the season finished, who knows I don't think he will take long to find another club. Interesting times for both clubs, sadly there will be very little money around to spend, so incomings at either club are likely to be on the uninspiring level!

Wayne was offered the job a few years back and said he didn't want it due to lack of managerial experience at 1st team level. Now with a few years under his belt managing Maldon and Tiptree he may be more ready to give it a go, but it would still be a massive leap for him. I think John has been gone for several days now, so any enquiries about people we may like as a manager are probably already under way, I have heard nothing about any interest in Fagan. John sounds likely to end up managing his home town team Tranmere, he has been in the running from the minute Micky Mellon left. I don't know why John left us, there were rumours of disagreements behind the scenes after the season finished, who knows I don't think he will take long to find another club. Interesting times for both clubs, sadly there will be very little money around to spend, so incomings at either club are likely to be on the uninspiring level!
Would he be a popular choice at Col U given the BNP stuff? or does that not really matter?

Would he be a popular choice at Col U given the BNP stuff? or does that not really matter?

A few have already mentioned that, but it was a long time ago and I am not sure if he was really involved as much as people claim. I have spoken to him a few times and he has always seemed to be a decent intelligent guy. He has had many black players playing for him at Maldon and indeed in our youth set up before that, but nobody has ever claimed he was treating them badly in any way.

Back