• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
It is time for the Chairman to show the courage and vision that Lincoln showed in appointing Danny Cowley a few years back by giving another very promising young coach - Craig Fagan - a shot at the manager's job at Southend.

Not really a fair comparison. The cowleys were already managing in the national league and took on Lincoln in the national league.

Fagan has no managerial experience at all.

Have to say I'm so up for John McGreal to come in. On paper he is by far the best candidate he has solid L2 experience and had them in the play-offs last season. When else do you get the chance to have a manager who made the play-offs in the same league as you the previous season? Never.

Best candidate by far but we're saying no because he managed Col U lol so what? The biggest legend at the club currently (JW) is a Colchester legend with over 200 apps for them. We have signed David Mooney who played for Col U and Orient before us did that make us dislike him?Prosser signed for them did they hate him because he was Southend previously no. Did they hate Theo when he went there on loan no. Even Fagan played for Colchester in his career it's all a load of **** we need to do the best thing for us regardless of where they come from

Players and managers have played/managed both before and will continue to do so. Don't buy into the whole daggers will be out sooner because he's Colchester if we start terribly the daggers are going to be out because we've been poor for so long..

Can't see it happening when Ron has specified an attachment to the club being a criteria and the last time he hired an ex-Col Ewe manager he had to sack him after seeing a lack of passion in his eyes.

looking at the calibre of these potential candidates ...

I do think about the last management team we had here and think what an absolute shame we lost them .

I meant Campbell Hreiderson, Colbert -

I do understand we could not afford them BUT we seem to be right down in the managers Poundland shop now..
If we were looking for an experienced & successful manager we would be struggling and no doubt likely to land someone well past their best and rather underwhelming. Which is why going for someone young, passionate, and probably taking the step up is eminently sensible for us.

If we were looking for an experienced & successful manager we would be struggling and no doubt likely to land someone well past their best and rather underwhelming. Which is why going for someone young, passionate, and probably taking the step up is eminently sensible for us.

I agree. with this .. although I am concerned not to have received a time for my interview yet

I meant Campbell Hreiderson, Colbert -

I do understand we could not afford them BUT we seem to be right down in the managers Poundland shop now..

I get what you’re saying but I think a big name is flattering to deceive a bit. Our most successful manager was a local lad with no previous experience, promoted from the youth team. Being a great player doesn’t make you a good manager. Thierry Henry was arguably the best striker of the Premier League era, but has failed miserably in management so far.

You could’ve described Tilson as a Poundlound manager when we first put him in charge, but look what he achieved. We’ve tried the likes of Powell, Bond and Campbell and it hasn’t worked. It’s time for someone like Maher or Fagan. They will be far better for the youngsters than Campbell would’ve been in my opinion.

I get what you’re saying but I think a big name is flattering to deceive a bit. Our most successful manager was a local lad with no previous experience, promoted from the youth team. Being a great player doesn’t make you a good manager. Thierry Henry was arguably the best striker of the Premier League era, but has failed miserably in management so far.

You could’ve described Tilson as a Poundlound manager when we first put him in charge, but look what he achieved. We’ve tried the likes of Powell, Bond and Campbell and it hasn’t worked. It’s time for someone like Maher or Fagan. They will be far better for the youngsters than Campbell would’ve been in my opinion.

No Tilson is pure Essex gold ... how dare you say anything else.

Michael Jolley the latest name linked by Chris Phillips. Hasn't been in a job since he got sacked by Grimsby in November, his only job in management in England.

His record actually wasn't bad at Grimsby though. He joined when they were fighting relegation, kept them up and had them challenging for playoffs the following season. He's no less experienced at League Two level than Sol was.

Extensive experience of working with young players might appeal to Ron.

Back