• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
Even if they loved Ron they wouldn’t be coming. They’re literally so far out of our league it’s frightening. They’ll get another decent Championship job pretty quickly. Already favourites for the Bristol City job.

I don’t get how people seriously suggest them like we’ve got a chance.

There is more chance of me winning Euro millions on Tuesday than the Cowleys coming to Southend. They have done their apprenticeship as a management team and have achieved success wherever they had gone. Huddersfield obviously want a 'name' now they has avoided relegation and the Cowleys will walk into another large club anxious for them to weave they magic. Get real people, Ron just wouldn't have a chance of getting them.

Reactions: GBJ
Anyone who has no feelings towards the club I'm not interested tbh whatever the reason.
The club is bigger than us all including Ron.

Even if they loved Ron they wouldn’t be coming. They’re literally so far out of our league it’s frightening. They’ll get another decent Championship job pretty quickly. Already favourites for the Bristol City job.

I don’t get how people seriously suggest them like we’ve got a chance.
Obviously bigger names than Sol Campbell now........How the hell did we ever end up with Sol with our reputation?

Obviously bigger names than Sol Campbell now........How the hell did we ever end up with Sol with our reputation?

Because it’s pretty well known that Campbell is difficult, divisive and has a huge ego. The Cowleys are the opposite. They’ve earned their stripes as managers. Being a great player doesn’t make you a great manager.

The Cowleys will be taking a high end Championship job soon now that Huddersfield have been stupid enough to cast them aside - plenty of clubs will be after them. Slumming it in League Two with one of the worst football teams in English football history with a chairman with a lassaiz faire attitude to paying monthly salaries probably isn't number one on their list of where to go next.

Yes they grew up down the road, but I've heard there's a paper round going in the newsagents where I grew up but I'm not about to up sticks from where I am and relocate my family for it.

The Cowleys will be taking a high end Championship job soon now that Huddersfield have been stupid enough to cast them aside - plenty of clubs will be after them. Slumming it in League Two with one of the worst football teams in English football history with a chairman with a lassaiz faire attitude to paying monthly salaries probably isn't number one on their list of where to go next.

Yes they grew up down the road, but I've heard there's a paper round going in the newsagents where I grew up but I'm not about to up sticks from where I am and relocate my family for it.

It is time for the Chairman to show the courage and vision that Lincoln showed in appointing Danny Cowley a few years back by giving another very promising young coach - Craig Fagan - a shot at the manager's job at Southend.

John McGreal interested in the vacancy, as per Chris Phillips.
Was thinking McGreal could be in with a shout following Tranny's appointment of Jackson.

I think McGreal did a good job up the road and was surprised they showed him the door. Also listened to him a few times on footy podcasts and came across really well. He spoke a lot about profiling the players needed to create a good squad that gels well and is balanced.

Just one thing. McGreal was heavily linked with the Tranny job and the timing of his declared interest in our vacancy only seems to have come now that post has been filled. Does he really have that desire to manage us that Ron is looking for?

I still think Fagan should be given good consideration (or maybe Maher). Interesting to see Tranny appointing quickly and from within. Shame if these 2 really haven't made Ron's shortlist.

Last edited:
Sol has been gone for 3 weeks, (although Ron would have made his mind up long before that) and still we have made no managerial appointment.

Lots of teams have returned to training today, but our players still haven’t been given an off-season fitness plan, let alone a date to return to actual training.

It seems unlikely that the proposed August restart date will happen, so the probable restart date will be September 12th, which is 7-weeks from Saturday.

Other teams are already busy planning for the upcoming season, and as usual we seem to be taking a very relaxed approach.

Have to say I'm so up for John McGreal to come in. On paper he is by far the best candidate he has solid L2 experience and had them in the play-offs last season. When else do you get the chance to have a manager who made the play-offs in the same league as you the previous season? Never.

Best candidate by far but we're saying no because he managed Col U lol so what? The biggest legend at the club currently (JW) is a Colchester legend with over 200 apps for them. We have signed David Mooney who played for Col U and Orient before us did that make us dislike him?Prosser signed for them did they hate him because he was Southend previously no. Did they hate Theo when he went there on loan no. Even Fagan played for Colchester in his career it's all a load of **** we need to do the best thing for us regardless of where they come from

Players and managers have played/managed both before and will continue to do so. Don't buy into the whole daggers will be out sooner because he's Colchester if we start terribly the daggers are going to be out because we've been poor for so long..

Back