• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should replace bond?

Who should replace Kevin Bond

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tilly has not been involved in main-stream football for some time now, so don't think RM would go down that line.
For me its a Barratt/Milligan duo.

Kevin bond hardly had a glowing managerial record.

Sturrock had been out of the game a while.

How long was brown out of the game before he rocked up at the roslin?

Sometimes it just comes down to the manager being a good fit for the club.

Nathan Jones has used 24 players so far this season at Stoke, clearly Luton was a good fit, Stoke isn't. I think there's more than a fair chance the Cowley's will fail at Huddersfield, I doubt they will be given the time & support they had at Lincoln.

Tilson was and still is a good fit for us. Circumstances outside of his control were the biggest factors in the relegation seasons.

A Barrett / Tilson combo could do very well.

Brown lost the dressing room massively towards the end so it was inevitable he would be on his way. I think Brown cared too much at times and let his emotions get the better of him.

But you can’t tell me that he wouldn’t get this squad in shape physically and iron out some of the rumours of ill discipline. He would command the respect that Bond didn’t.

LOL.

This was the manager who signed Nile Ranger, someone who was constantly late, out of shape and one of several players who was jailed or arrested during Brown's regime.

LOL.

This was the manager who signed Nile Ranger, someone who was constantly late, out of shape and one of several players who was jailed or arrested during Brown's regime.

Ranger was a risk that was deemed worth taking at the time. It didn’t pay off but you can’t blame Brown for that. If he’d made the leopard change his spots we’d have had a top quality striker. We knew what we were getting when we signed him and we got rid when it was clear it wasn’t working out. Don’t see anything wrong with that.

Our shape and performances were far more disciplined under Brown than under Bond.

I know you have an insight so I'd be interested to know which managers you think would run a tight ship? I think I'd have an idea but I have been surprised by a couple of things I've heard about players and managers lately that don't fit the impression I had of them at all.

I have only heard stories about the last two so would be unfair for me to judge them but we can all see the results on the pitch.

I have had ex players tell me about the likes of Dave Smith or Dave Webb. Even Ricky Duncan said when DW walked into the room you sat up and listened.....There was an element of fear but more respect.

The fittest we looked in recent time was under PB. Coughlan was always involved in all aspects and the strength and conditioning boys were from a rugby background so not a regime where slackers were tolerated.

Yes things went horribly wrong with Ranger and it caused a split in the camp. And yes, there were more than just management involved in the fiasco which I don't think we have ever recovered from. In terms of team spirit etc.

Things really came to a head when he missed that penalty he should have never taken at Pompey. We ended up with Ranger and Cox not being in the same team or even sitting in the stands for about 6 games and PB giving up after that game at Bristol rovers and the police involved later that night.

The next home game we lost at home to Bradford with Cox and Ferdinand sitting in the East stand.....Up until then we had not lost in our first 10? home games in the league.........How we could do with some of that so called 'turgid' home form right now.......If AB comes in and achieves that, fans will demand statues and streets named after him.......PB made our list of worst ever mangers.......Football is all about opinions, so people keep telling me. I have always felt some opinions are more equal than others.

Last edited:
Ranger was a risk that was deemed worth taking at the time. It didn’t pay off but you can’t blame Brown for that. If he’d made the leopard change his spots we’d have had a top quality striker. We knew what we were getting when we signed him and we got rid when it was clear it wasn’t working out. Don’t see anything wrong with that.

Our shape and performances were far more disciplined under Brown than under Bond.

Our shape and performance were better but the seeds for all the lack of discipline were sown under Brown - even Rigsby has just admitted it.

The truth is we've never recovered from it. A short term gamble with long reaching negative consequences.

I have only heard stories about the last two so would be unfair for me to judge them but we can all see the results on the pitch.

I have had ex players tell me about the likes of Dave Smith or Dave Webb. Even Ricky Duncan said when DW walked into the room you sat up and listened.....There was an element of fear but more respect.

The fittest we looked in recent time was under PB. Coughlan was always involved in all aspects and the strength and conditioning boys were from a rugby background so not a regime where slackers were tolerated.

Yes things went horribly wrong with Ranger and it caused a split in the camp. And yes, there were more than just management involved in the fiasco which I don't think we have ever recovered from. In terms of team spirit etc.

Things really came to a head when he missed that penalty he should have never taken at Pompey. We ended up with Ranger and Cox not being in the same team or even sitting in the stands for about 6 games and PB giving up after that game at Bristol rovers and the police involved later that night.

The next home game we lost at home to Bradford with Cox and Ferdinand sitting in the East stand.....Up until then we had not lost in our first 10? home games in the league.........How we could do with some of that so called 'turgid' home form right now.......If AB comes in and achieves that fans will demand statues and streets named after him.......PB made our list of worst ever mangers.......Football is all about opinions, so people keep telling me. I have always felt some opinions are more equal than others.

I think our lack of fitness dates back to Penney's departure and it's gradually gone downhill from there but wasn't there a fitness coach who left. What was the story behind that?

LOL.

Who signed Nile?
Who bought him a car ?
Who put the bond up for his house?
Who visited him in prison?
Who overruled their manger when he wanted to drop Ranger for discipline reasons?.

But hey never let any of that spoil your continued vendetta......Yes mods are entitled to their opinion but things like blaming Brown for offences committed by players whilst not at the club is now becoming embarrassing.......Yo are better than that, as we both know.

The next home game we lost at home to Bradford with Cox and Ferdinand sitting in the East stand.....Up until then we had not lost in our first 10? home games in the league.........How we could do with some of that so called 'turgid' home form right now.......If AB comes in and achieves that fans will demand statues and streets named after him.......PB made our list of worst ever mangers.......Football is all about opinions, so people keep telling me. I have always felt some opinions are more equal than others.
Cheers, I was a PB fan. I do think a section of our fan base never liked him though, particularly those who were big Sturrock fans

I think our lack of fitness dates back to Penney's departure and it's gradually gone downhill from there but wasn't there a fitness coach who left. What was the story behind that?
I think losing Atkinson taking up the slack had a big impact on the perceived fitness too

Who signed Nile?
Who bought him a car ?
Who put the bond up for his house?
Who visited him in prison?
Who overruled their manger when he wanted to drop Ranger for discipline reasons?.

But hey never let any of that spoil your continued vendetta......Yes mods are entitled to their opinion but things like blaming Brown for offences committed by players whilst not at the club is now becoming embarrassing.......Yo are better than that, as we both know.
And now we have to put our trust in him again to pick another manager, FFS.

Cheers, I was a PB fan. I do think a section of our fan base never liked him though, particularly those who were big Sturrock fans

It was more than just the badly timed Sturrock departure. Some so called fans just love to hate a new boy for all sorts of reasons that I can never fully work out.....I convinced its often to do with their own personal failings.

Back