• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who will come in for Tilson this summer ?

I am not so sure that he has performed a minor miracle. When Tilly coached at canvey and at the Blues he was a promising talent with the prospect to be a super manager in the future but in some ways I cannot help but feel that his opprtunity came too soon. If he had worked a few seasons longer under an experienced manager he would have benefited more. Thrown in at the deep end he has done very well but his inexperience IMHO is the key as to why he is still a 'nearly-man'. Our passsion wants to exalt the lord Tilly for his achievements but it must be tempered with realism. The two near mickey mouse cup wins in cardiff and in many respects the near play-off season this current campaign on top of last seasons play-off shame and the previous seasons hapless championship debacle show the 'nearly' tag for what it is. Yes he has had 'squad' problems, injuries, loanees etc but he was also slow to react when opportunities came along. Example, Francis, regularly slated for his performances yet persevered with when so many points had already gone begging. Francis goes in at centreback and is a hero. Kept there? No. All the fans begging for extra height in the centre of defence which was clearly right and he persisted with the AB, PC format that has been so weak for so long. Substitutions, most on here question those. Players out of position, particuarly strikers as wingers. The list goes on. He is a superb guy and I am immensely proud and grateful for all he has done but in terms of 'miracle worker' I am not convinced. Age is on his side and I believe he will become a top flight, top class manager. Whether that is with us is up to the touch of kismet. I know I will be slated for this article but it is how I see it. His heart is with the club. So is AB's but he too is a 'nearly man', commitment and guts but not quite a CB or LB. Does his love for the club and the fact he has been present in all of Tillys achievements give him god status too? If tilly goes higher I think it will be a mistake as he is still serving his apprentriceship. Maybe an 'elder-statesman' of football employed in a consultant capacity would help Tilly if he stays.

You conveniently forgot to mention the 2 promotions and saving us from dropping out of the league all achieved with very limited funds. If you want to highlight the negatives then include the positives for a balanced view or would that be asking too much ?

I think you will find his "profile" is considerably higher than some of you think. He has also built good links with premiership clubs this season as we have had players from Portsmouth, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea etc. Harry obviously trusts him with a France U21 centre back and Stanislas has just been given a new 3 yr deal so i'm sure he is well known to plenty of clubs these days.

I think you will find his "profile" is considerably higher than some of you think. He has also built good links with premiership clubs this season as we have had players from Portsmouth, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea etc. Harry obviously trusts him with a France U21 centre back and Stanislas has just been given a new 3 yr deal so i'm sure he is well known to plenty of clubs these days.

Can you ever see Tilson managing in the Premiership at any of the Clubs you suggest there? His profile isn't as high as it was after the double promotion, and other managers have jumped in front as they are more of a "name".

Can you ever see Tilson managing in the Premiership at any of the Clubs you suggest there? His profile isn't as high as it was after the double promotion, and other managers have jumped in front as they are more of a "name".
I didn't suggest he would manage them I said he has built links with them and they trust him with their players which is another big step in the right direction regarding his development.

Back