• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
OK . AT first that sounds ridiculous. But look at it rationally. We have NO CHANCE of winning the FA cup ever.
We might get a big team sure and we might even beat a big team. We have done it before Man U and Liverpool in our history. But we will not see our boys run out at wembley in the final.
However in the JPT we had and will have a realistic chance of going to the final and would be very hopeful of winning. To sit in the wembley stands and see your blue boys in a final.Wow! just saying it out loud makes me want to cry at what happened last night. Earning a few extra Quid with a big game in the FA cup can not ever compare to that. The JPT is to us what the FA cup is to the likes of Newcastle etc. I dont think PS or the team understood just how big this game was and I think its because most fans didn't see that either. So shame on us. :sad:

personally I'd rather have had the distraction of 1 match versus Liverpool, rather than a two-part final and a Wembley final which comes just at the wrong time for challenging in the league.

The league is our priority, and therefore I'd prefer the FA run rather than the JPT run.

Even if we do get promoted, which to listen to some people was virtually guaranteed by us exiting the JPT, we've still spurned the best chance in our 105 year history of seeing Southend in a cup final at Wembley. There'll probably be chances again over the next decade or so - the JPT is a phenomenal competition for allowing lower league fans to dream - but this was our best chance yet.

Promotion would be fantastic, but it can always be taken away by a relegation. If you get to Wembley and maybe even win the competition, that's there forever in our history.

Personally, I feel Wembley would have been a distraction to the main aim.

True, the first LDV gave us a bit of a boost but we were 17th before the LDV final and finished the season 17th

The next year we won the 4 games before the Final resulting in us going into the weekend of Cardiff top
We lost the final and only won once more in the regular season and having to go up through the play offs.

We have got where we are in the league by having a fairly stable matchday squad and they are starting to tire and two more highly competetive games in January/February with the distraction of playing at Wembley may be enough to derail our promotion push.

Of Course I am disappointed , but to be honest I am as equally dissapointed in the waves of negativity which losing the first game in 18 has caused. We are Southend supporters not glory hunting premier**** fans surely we expect that we are going to lose some games !

personally I'd rather have had the distraction of 1 match versus Liverpool, rather than a two-part final and a Wembley final which comes just at the wrong time for challenging in the league.

The league is our priority, and therefore I'd prefer the FA run rather than the JPT run.

I'd have to agree, beat Oldham and we get to play at Anfield. When will thst ever happen again in my lifetime. We have a stab at Wembley next year and there is no guarantee we would beat Barnet over 2 legs.

Let's keep the league as priority and be an L1 team next season

Here's a question..

How will you feel IF added to last night's defeat:

We lose at Cheltenham

&

We lose at Oldham

Off top spot, without a win in 5 and letting a potential combined cashpot IRO £750,000 - £1m slip away, with the Jan window just 3 weeks away....

Last edited:
OK . AT first that sounds ridiculous. But look at it rationally. We have NO CHANCE of winning the FA cup ever.
We might get a big team sure and we might even beat a big team. We have done it before Man U and Liverpool in our history. But we will not see our boys run out at wembley in the final.
However in the JPT we had and will have a realistic chance of going to the final and would be very hopeful of winning. To sit in the wembley stands and see your blue boys in a final.Wow! just saying it out loud makes me want to cry at what happened last night. Earning a few extra Quid with a big game in the FA cup can not ever compare to that. The JPT is to us what the FA cup is to the likes of Newcastle etc. I dont think PS or the team understood just how big this game was and I think its because most fans didn't see that either. So shame on us. :sad:

It's not just about the money, there's far more glory and recognition in a 3rd round upset than there is in winning the JPT.

If you win the JPT there might be a match report in the newspapers on Monday.

If you knock out a Big Four team you are the sports headline in all the Sunday newspapers.

You still get the day out at the big, storied stadium (Anfield rather than Wembley) but you also headline Match of the Day and get far more people talking about Southend United than winning a tin-pot cup will ever do.

I want to go to Wembly, but SIX League One and Two clubs go to Wembley every year.

It's not just about the money, there's far more glory and recognition in a 3rd round upset than there is in winning the JPT.

If you knock out a Big Four team you are the sports headline in all the Sunday newspapers.

You still get the day out at the big, storied stadium (Anfield rather than Wembley) but you also headline Match of the Day and get far more people talking about Southend United than winning a tin-pot cup will ever do.

I want to go to Wembly, but SIX League One and Two clubs go to Wembley every year.

Then we better win on Tuesday.

Or we have ****ed up financially big time...

Last edited:
Here's a question..

We lose at Cheltenham

&

We lose at Oldham

Off top spot, without a win in 5 and letting a potential combined cashpot IRO £750,000 - £1m slip away, with the Jan window just 3 weeks away....

How will you feel if we win at Cheltenham and beat Oldham?

We'd be top of the table, undefeated in the league in 13, with a lucrative money spinning cup tie coming up.

Why dwell on the negatives? There's plenty to be positive about.

How will you feel if we win at Cheltenham and beat Oldham?

We'd be top of the table, undefeated in the league in 13, with a lucrative money spinning cup tie coming up.

Why dwell on the negatives? There's plenty to be positive about.

Over the fricking moon of course.

But, like quite a few have been saying recently. The cracks are showing. Despite the superb run, we haven't looked convincing many times at all. Especially the last 5 or 6 games. Add to that the amount of games we've had and the small number of players we have used in that time. And they are starting to look very tired, picking up knocks and dare I say it, perhaps getting a bit **** sure of their places in the side. Which is never a good thing.

Here's a question..

We lose at Cheltenham

&

We lose at Oldham

When I first read this post I was sceptical about your figures, but I can see where the ballpark comes from, although the Wembley money (which to be honest makes up around 65% of the total would not be available to us for January and
The 2nd leg of the JPT is after the window shuts

my calcs

The area finals of the LDV, Maybe 8,000 at ours 4,000 at Barnet average 15 quid a ticket less vat split 50/50 with barnet = 72K

FA Cup 2nd round winners 27K

JPT Final winners 75K

Last years JPT receipts were 350K per team , but considering that was Southampton and there were 73,000 there , I would imagine this year that would be down by a third so call it 250K

Gate reciepts
Liverpool

30,000 average ticket 20 quid less vat our share 45% 216K

total about 640K

Merchandising for wembley 10,000 shirts with 15 quid mark up 150k
Total 790k

Its not that we lost, that's not what we are saying. Of course we were going to lose a game at some point. What rankles is that we did not put out our strongest team and tried tactics that had not been tried and tested. If it was the QF of the FA cup would you be so relaxed about it. Please every one stop calling it TIN POT. We are a 4th tier team and by teams in prem and championship we are TIN POT.
I play a lot of golf and have a yearly works golf outing .That is my FA cup. Next year, going by what your saying I will not be bothered with it because I could always win the Open.

When I first read this post I was sceptical about your figures, but I can see where the ballpark comes from, although the Wembley money (which to be honest makes up around 65% of the total would not be available to us for January and
The 2nd leg of the JPT is after the window shuts

my calcs

The area finals of the LDV, Maybe 8,000 at ours 4,000 at Barnet average 15 quid a ticket less vat split 50/50 with barnet = 72K

FA Cup 2nd round winners 27K

JPT Final winners 75K

Last years JPT receipts were 350K per team , but considering that was Southampton and there were 73,000 there , I would imagine this year that would be down by a third so call it 250K

Gate reciepts
Liverpool

30,000 average ticket 20 quid less vat our share 45% 216K

total about 640K

Merchandising for wembley 10,000 shirts with 15 quid mark up 150k
Total 790k

I believe both (Or certainly one) JPT Area Final legs are on TV, as well as the final of course. So potentially 3 games with TV monies as well. Probably another £100k+ ??

Either way it would of been worth a hell of a lot. A damn sight more than a trip to Anfield anyway. And a chance to see our boys lift some silverware, in the most famous stadium in the world.

Let's hope we can make up for it by winning at Oldham...

Last edited:
Over the fricking moon of course.

But, like quite a few have been saying recently. The cracks are showing. Despite the superb run, we haven't looked convincing many times at all. Especially the last 5 or 6 games. Add to that the amount of games we've had and the small number of players we have used in that time. And they are starting to look very tired, picking up knocks and dare I say it, perhaps getting a bit **** sure of their places in the side. Which is never a good thing.

That's the point...the number and frequency of games is having an adverse impact on our performance. Two, more likely to be three, less games will help us. We'll be fresher and more focused. Losing last night was a blessing in disguise.

At our level I believe it's important to win all games as this will ultimately generate additional income and boost morale.This in turn will result in moreale.

Hoorah!

:cheers:

I agree we should try and win all games and that momentum is important, but we are, unfortunately, going to lose occasionally. It's been so long since we lost, people seem to have forgotten this.

Spot. On. :thumbsup: Especially one of the biggest and most decorated clubs in the world on their own turf.

There will be other opportunities to get to Wembley just as we did with Cardiff - Liverpool at Anfield comes around perhaps once every lifetime!

Personally, I feel Wembley would have been a distraction to the main aim.

True, the first LDV gave us a bit of a boost but we were 17th before the LDV final and finished the season 17th

The next year we won the 4 games before the Final resulting in us going into the weekend of Cardiff top
We lost the final and only won once more in the regular season and having to go up through the play offs.

We have got where we are in the league by having a fairly stable matchday squad and they are starting to tire and two more highly competetive games in January/February with the distraction of playing at Wembley may be enough to derail our promotion push.

Of Course I am disappointed , but to be honest I am as equally dissapointed in the waves of negativity which losing the first game in 18 has caused. We are Southend supporters not glory hunting premier**** fans surely we expect that we are going to lose some games !
I entirely agree with you and what is more important, I'm sure Luggy does as well

Back