• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wiggy's ratings,

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Flavs 9 absolute hero, could play a higher level, lucky to have him!
Jupp7 done o.k and got forward
Che 6 fair performance
Eagle 8 superb again, looks like never been away
Barrett 7 Good blocks and reliable
Maher 7 steady as always but still too negative
Gutts 5 sorry but still waiting for him to do something exciting, not good enough to be next to Kev and just as negative.
Petts 4 When i see a midfield of him and the above 2, knew we were gonna lack penetration and yes he is still checking backwards
Jay Smith 9 Absolute revelation, vision, control, looks to make things happen, the exact opposite of the 3 above, a key player if we are to consolidate/ make play offs, another one that could play higher!
Gower 6 O.K but expectations still not reached
Freddy 6 not quite coming off at the moment but definately made himself a couple of good openings
The Goat 7 ambled around like an old man and then produced a bit of class, under pressure rose and with great timing bulletted a header in the net with great ease, but be warned he does need feeding, Maher, Gutts and Petts are not likely to do that, Smithy and Cole will
Wayne Gray 8 revalation, all over the park, and scoring, getting worried Fred?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,00:46)]The Goat 7 ambled around like an old man and then produced a bit of class, under pressure rose and with great timing bulletted a header in the net with great ease, but be warned he does need feeding, Maher, Gutts and Petts are not likely to do that, Smithy and Cole will
Wasn't it Maher that set up Goater's goal?

Yes he did and will contribute as he should but 1 negative midfielder is enough, when Smith came on it changed the whole game. In my opinion Gutts and Petts are bench at best!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ Aug. 14 2005,00:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,00:46)]The Goat 7 ambled around like an old man and then produced a bit of class, under pressure rose and with great timing bulletted a header in the net with great ease, but be warned he does need feeding, Maher, Gutts and Petts are not likely to do that, Smithy and Cole will
Wasn't it Maher that set up Goater's goal?
It certainly was, with an inch perfect cross to "feed the goat".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,00:46)]Petts 4 When i see a midfield of him and the above 2, knew we were gonna lack penetration and yes he is still checking backwards
I wonder who created the first goal.  Oh yes, it was Petts.  If that wasn't "penetration" I don't know what is.  On top of that he gave his typical industrious performance.

An excellent performance from everyone in a blue shirt - no one deserved less than a 7.  How you can give Guttridge only a 5 I don't know.  Worked hard and controlled midfield with Maher for long periods in the first hour.  Looks much, much fitter than last season.

However, agree with you about Smith.  Was pure class and hurled himself in to several crunching tackles.  Can't wait for him to be fit enough to start.

If we can peform at that level every week we'll do ok.

And Petts crossed for Gray's goal...

Perhaps we should play more of these "negative" midfielders.

tounge.gif

EDIT: Somehow missed your above post, Upminster Blue. Oh well, no harm in the point being raised twice.
wink.gif

Smith done more than Petts, Gutts or Maher when he came on and he is only half fit, this is the bloke the strikers need probing behind them, pure quality and as good to have him back as any new signing!

Tilly obviously see it the same, took em both off and what a breath of fresh air that made to the game!

I certainly agree with you on Smith, Wiggy - he was superb when he came on and when he is fully fit, he simply has to start alongside Maher.

Talking of Maher, I do think you're harsh in your criticism of him. His job is to sit in front of the back four, break up the opposition's play and set our attacks going. He is pivotal to the way we play and anything he contributes in the opposition's half is a bonus.

Regarding Petts, I thought he did well today. I just wish he'd believe in himself more because when he does get in advanced positions, he is capable of delivering. Today's assist for Gray wasn't the first time he's put over a quality cross in a Southend shirt and he should have more faith in his ability going forward. That said, I think Guttridge is now ahead of him in the pecking order for that right-midfield spot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,02:05)]Smith done more than Petts, Gutts or Maher when he came on and he is only half fit, this is the bloke the strikers need probing behind them, pure quality and as good to have him back as any new signing!
I can kind of see where you're coming from... but Smith is more than half fit, otherwise he wouldn't be risked. I'm not taking anything away from him though. I rate him as one of our key players and, like said, could play at a higher level (and hopefully will... with us).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,00:46)]Gutts 5 sorry but still waiting for him to do something exciting, not good enough to be next to Kev and just as negative.
Did you not go to Bradford then?

Cracking goal, that probably only Gower could have finished, along with a great performance.

Not sure about Gutts in the middle, but he certainly has class and I think he is in pole position for one of the wide spots with Tilly at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Aug. 14 2005,01:24)]I certainly agree with you on Smith, Wiggy - he was superb when he came on and when he is fully fit, he simply has to start alongside Maher.

Talking of Maher, I do think you're harsh in your criticism of him. His job is to sit in front of the back four, break up the opposition's play and set our attacks going. He is pivotal to the way we play and anything he contributes in the opposition's half is a bonus.

Regarding Petts, I thought he did well today. I just wish he'd believe in himself more because when he does get in advanced positions, he is capable of delivering. Today's assist for Gray wasn't the first time he's put over a quality cross in a Southend shirt and he should have more faith in his ability going forward. That said, I think Guttridge is now ahead of him in the pecking order for that right-midfield spot.
Unfortunately I've only seen the one game this year but if Guttridge's performance on the right is anything to go by, I'd gladly keep Pettefer on the right wing because of his positional discipline. I think Tilly will be inclined to agree because he really takes the attitude that first positions should be secure defensively and then you should think about attacking.

As for the wiggy report, I'm actually getting used to the style and if you have an understanding of past posts, you can glean a lot from the performance. Keep em going wiggy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Gutts 5 sorry but still waiting for him to do something exciting, not good enough to be next to Kev and just as negative.
laugh.gif
having a laugh aint you? Gutts yesturday was sharp quick and the main driving force of the team yesturday!

Jay Smith could be the 'signing' of the season if he keeps that up!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Aug. 14 2005,01:24)]I certainly agree with you on Smith, Wiggy - he was superb when he came on and when he is fully fit, he simply has to start alongside Maher.
I don't know. I don't see how we can not play Mark Bentley when he's fit.

Petts fell asleep for the 2nd goal by the looks of it. Jupp also was hardly helpful.

The first seemed that Fryatt got inbetween Barrett and Che and one of them should have dealt with it. Also the bloke who put the ball in had way too much time to do so. Where was the pressure?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 14 2005,14:35)]
[b said:
I don't know. I don't see how we can not play Mark Bentley when he's fit.
Well, for me Smith is vastly superior to Bentley technically. In his 20-minute cameo yesterday he reminded us of what we've missed in the last 18 months or so - his touch, movement and vision was superb and he has that subtlety in his game that can open up defences. While I won't get carried away and say that his appearance won us a point, he did come on at a time when our midfield was starting to lose its shape and become overrun. Smith helped us to regain a bit of the momentum we'd had earlier in the half and push Walsall back into their own third.

Don't get me wrong, Bentley has proved an asset since his signing in January 2004 but I do think his touch lets him down on occasions and at this level we need more cohesion and invention in midfield - hence also why Guttridge has so far been preferred to Petts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2005,00:54)]Yes he did and will contribute as he should but 1 negative midfielder is enough, when Smith came on it changed the whole game. In my opinion Gutts and Petts are bench at best!
Disagree with Guttridge, best player pre-season, and a great performance, and super finish at Bradford.

Petts is difficult to analyse, if, as many do, have no grasp of football that doesnt involve scoring goals, so i will say no more there.

Jay Smith is class and will be a real asset coming back into the side. However I dont see how we can drop Benno as he has been superb for us ever since he signed really. I guess we will just have to find a way of playing both of them in the side as they are both too good to leave out! Rotation maybe?
rock.gif
Oh well its a nice problem for Tilly to have, I'm sure he's not complaining!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ((S)(U)(F)(C) @ Aug. 14 2005,23:19)]Jay Smith is class and will be a real asset coming back into the side. However I dont see how we can drop Benno as he has been superb for us ever since he signed really. I guess we will just have to find a way of playing both of them in the side as they are both too good to leave out! Rotation maybe?
rock.gif
Oh well its a nice problem for Tilly to have, I'm sure he's not complaining!
Well, I've suggested playing Bentley on the right and I still think that's an option - though that would be harsh on Guttridge, who's done well so far this season.

Personally, I think Bentley will come back into the side next week, assuming he's fit. Smith probably needs at least one full outing in the reserves before he's considered as a starter - but what a great option to have on the bench. And actually, the idea of rotation isn't a far-fetched one bearing in mind we have a lot of fixtures in quick succession over the next couple of weeks. I dare say the team we put out against Southampton in the Carling Cup will differ from the one we play against Huddersfield.

Back