• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wireless Networking

Advice on this little problem much appreciated!

OK, I have just moved house and had to switch ISP's from Cable Broadband (Telewest) to ADSL Broadband (Tiscali). Where I want to put my desktop PC doesn't have a phone point (I can get one put in but the housebuilders have told me this will be a month or so when they come to do the rest of our snagging). So, therefore I thought I'd invest in a wireless router to alleviate this problem.

Yesterday, I bought a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless Router as well as the compatible Wireless Network Adapter. I expected the wireless router/modem to just directly replace my old style cable modem (e.g. the wireless router gets plugged into the phone point & then connects wirelessly to the PC upstairs). To my horror when I unpacked the kit, there was an extra cable (a network cable) that needs to go from the router into the back of the PC. This obviously means I can't setup my PC as I hoped to & suggests to me that a wireless network will only work using one PC as a server & then say running other wireless devices (e.g. laptop) off this "server".

Can anyone techy explain what I am doing wrong? If I install the software for the wireless network adaptor will this alleviate the need for this additional network cable? Have I been mis-sold £60 of equipment from my local friendly PC store (the guy in the shop seemed to grasp what I was trying to achieve & said "yes, that will definitely work")?

interesting. i have much a similar setup here, and all pc's are running wirelessly to the router. however, i did need to connect the router directly via a cable when i set it up so i could write the username and password to the memory of the router. once i had saved that information to the router i could then use it wirelessly. perhaps this is how you have to do yours?

As Gilbo says you need the physical connection to configure your router.

Once the router is configured you can then unplug the cable and work wirelessly.

Make sure you take the appropriate security precautions as well so that no-one can use your wireless network.

A quick question and please don't laugh...
sad.gif

I have two computers.
One an old celeron with Windows ME ( I said don't laugh)
the other a beast with XP.

Can I use them to connect to the same internet wirelessly etc? or don't windows systems allow different OS to talk to each other etc etc.

I don't want to get rid of my old computer because unbelievably its more reliable
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Sep. 22 2006,10:50)]As Gilbo says you need the physical connection to configure your router.

Once the router is configured you can then unplug the cable and work wirelessly.

Make sure you take the appropriate security precautions as well so that no-one can use your wireless network.
Cheers guys, I'll give that a try over the weekend when I have more time, I tried a quick fix last night as I assumed it would be a simple 15 minutes setup!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Sep. 22 2006,10:54)]A quick question and please don't laugh...
sad.gif

I have two computers.
One an old celeron with Windows ME ( I said don't laugh)
the other a beast with XP.

Can I use them to connect to the same internet wirelessly etc? or don't windows systems allow different OS to talk to each other etc etc.

I don't want to get rid of my old computer because unbelievably its more reliable
rock.gif
With Windows XP came the wireless networking wizard which as it implies does virtually all of it for you. Windows ME on the other hand doesn't have this facility (I don't think) so consequently the connection on the ME comp will have to be set up manually. IE You won't be able to copy the network settings from the XP comp via a memory stick etc.

The SSID and security settings (WEP/WPA Encryption) will have to be entered in manually on the ME comp when you come to 'make a new connection'

Other than that, both being Windows based, you shouldn't have any problems running the two comps on the same router.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Back