• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would Teachers Get Away With It Nowadays

Benfleet A1

Hector Of The House
My daughter often asks me what my teachers were like when I was at school and like any good dad I try to make it humourous when describing what some of my old lot were like. The one that always jumps to mind was a Mr Evans, a PE teacher with a firery Welsh temper. Actually, he was a great person to be around and really threw himself into every sport he was attempting to get you take part in but if you mucked up you were always called a SPACO!!

Drop a catch playing cricket - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Are there holes in those hands boy'
Miss a open goal playing football - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Those posts not big enough for you'
Fluff a pass in rugby - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Are you blind to that Spaco to the right of you'

You get the general picture. We were never offended by these outbursts and looking back it was nothing more than just having a bit of a laugh at your own expense but would a teacher ever get away with it now.

Do tell.

My daughter often asks me what my teachers were like when I was at school and like any good dad I try to make it humourous when describing what some of my old lot were like. The one that always jumps to mind was a Mr Evans, a PE teacher with a firery Welsh temper. Actually, he was a great person to be around and really threw himself into every sport he was attempting to get you take part in but if you mucked up you were always called a SPACO!!

Drop a catch playing cricket - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Are there holes in those hands boy'
Miss a open goal playing football - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Those posts not big enough for you'
Fluff a pass in rugby - 'Grouty you SPACO!! Are you blind to that Spaco to the right of you'

You get the general picture. We were never offended by these outbursts and looking back it was nothing more than just having a bit of a laugh at your own expense but would a teacher ever get away with it now.

Do tell.

I regularly insult my students and they think nothing of it.

Do tell.

I'd imagine the big difference being the reaction you'd have got had you complained to your parents compared to the reaction a lot of todays parents would make

PE teachers were sadists. I guess as failed sportsmen they took their bitterness out on teenage boys. I avoided Games/PE for my last two years of school and no one said a dickie bird.

I forget the name of the teacher but if you talked in class he'd fling the chalkboard rubber at your head. Today that would be assault.

Went the other way though - with shame, I remember our class bringing Ms Pryke to tears frequently. She quit teaching and now is a well respected florist. Often think about sending her an email and saying "sorry".

The teacher I remember with fondness are the ones that made the subject matter interesting. Mr Stuart (English), Mr Woods (Chemistry) and Mr Singh (Physics). I applaud you...sorry I sort of let you down a bit.

Most teachers were quite acerbic at SHSB. Mind you when we got to 6th form we could have gentle go back. Gaz Cornall was an easy target.

I told a first year medical student yesterday to get out of class because he had a West Ham rucksack.

When he looked like he was about to cry I said that I'd let him off, and that I was a Southend fan. After class we chatted for 30 seconds about Freddy Eastwood and that he had family who were Southend fans. Still a dick though:smile:

I told a first year medical student yesterday to get out of class because he had a West Ham rucksack.

When he looked like he was about to cry I said that I'd let him off, and that I was a Southend fan. After class we chatted for 30 seconds about Freddy Eastwood and that he had family who were Southend fans. Still a dick though:smile:

No self-respecting adult should own a club-sponsored rucksack. I wouldn't trust him cutting a cucumber, let alone a person.

I used to have a metalwork teacher who was an ex Mr Universe competitor and at the time everyone was **** scared of him. He used to wear short sleeved polyester shirts which he would rip by flexing his muscles.

The sands of time have changed the game though and if he spilt my pint down The Hoy and Helmet I would throw him around like a rag doll.

Most teachers were quite acerbic at SHSB. Mind you when we got to 6th form we could have gentle go back. Gaz Cornall was an easy target.

I've seen him at Southend matches a few times, such as Gillingham away and in the East Stand bar before kick-off.

Supported Chelsea, Arsenal and Southend back when I was at SHSB. Strange way of following football.

I've seen him at Southend matches a few times, such as Gillingham away and in the East Stand bar before kick-off.

Supported Chelsea, Arsenal and Southend back when I was at SHSB. Strange way of following football.

Yeah I think he really got into Southend after a few years. Seen him on occasion at the ground.

To be fair, it's about judging the relationship you have. It's a bit like real life surprisingly enough... Some of the girls in my form I can really take the mickey out off and say stuff I wouldn't dream of to others. Boys still generally take it better than girls, but if the girls have got to know you and know when you're joking, you can have a good laugh with them. Pick the wrong kid, on the wrong day and you'll suffer. Senior staff will often 'have a word' with a wry smile on their face -- depending on what you say obviously!!

Think this might be a pe teacher thing....I can always remember the less athletic or sporting types being called ''joeys''' by our sports master, after the late great joey deacon this would then more often than not encourage the whole class to run like spazzo's and grunt at one another in a joey impersonation.
for those not sure who joey deacon was ...he was like stephen hawkings but without his dance moves.

Think this might be a pe teacher thing....I can always remember the less athletic or sporting types being called ''joeys''' by our sports master, after the late great joey deacon this would then more often than not encourage the whole class to run like spazzo's and grunt at one another in a joey impersonation.
for those not sure who joey deacon was ...he was like stephen hawkings but without his dance moves.

Not just a PE thing at Appleton back in the late 70's early 80's. We had some serious crack pots plying their trade there I can tell you. Here's a list of some of the ones I remember.

Mr A Evans- PE Teacher of SPACKO!! fame.

Mr Dorsey - Television Studies, used to throw major paddies when things went wrong, us first years used to dive for cover the first few times we heard him kicking off. Chairs going across the room, tables being launched and him screaming at some unfortunate in his manic New York accent. Once you got used to it, we really looked forward to Intergrated Studies just to hear him in action.

Mr S Blackshaw - Assistant Head, a huge barrel chested Lancastian complete with bald head and horseshoe tash. He was colour blind and in charge of the stock room so getting a pack of say coloured pens was always fun if they weren't labled up properly. He was a demon fast bowler and never held back when sending a rocket propelled delivery down the nets at you. He knew a bit about bodylining as well and very nearly took more than one head off my years cricket team. And you always got the hell out the way when he was wielding a bat. He also helped coach the rugby teams and played for Rochford 100 for donkey years making club president. He had absolutely no problem with giving you clout round the head if you answered him back but was surprisingly lienient if you were sent to him for fighting. He was the most respected man in the school and my favorite teacher by a country mile.

Mr Bernese - RE Teacher and mentally unstable. Couldn't conduct a lesson without screaming and shouting at the entire class for the entire period. I learnt absolutely nothing from the man.

Miss Street - Art Teacher, completely away with the fairies. High as a kite and used to stink of what I now know to be pot. Hadn't the slightest idea of how to control a class so things generally ended in complete chaos until she ran off in search of reinforcements.

Appleton had some great charactors attempting to teach us and I do have some fond memories.

PE teachers were sadists. I guess as failed sportsmen they took their bitterness out on teenage boys. I avoided Games/PE for my last two years of school and no one said a dickie bird.

I forget the name of the teacher but if you talked in class he'd fling the chalkboard rubber at your head. Today that would be assault.

Went the other way though - with shame, I remember our class bringing Ms Pryke to tears frequently. She quit teaching and now is a well respected florist. Often think about sending her an email and saying "sorry".

The teacher I remember with fondness are the ones that made the subject matter interesting. Mr Stuart (English), Mr Woods (Chemistry) and Mr Singh (Physics). I applaud you...sorry I sort of let you down a bit.

Send that email - it will be well received.

The Music teacher we had at Eton House ( I forget his name) was prone to either throw a Blackboard wooden duster at you or walk down the aisle between the desks and turn back and pull your hair VERY hard or twist it around his finger if you misbehaved. :sad: The History teacher there was just plain weird.

The Music teacher we had at Eton House ( I forget his name) was prone to either throw a Blackboard wooden duster at you or walk down the aisle between the desks and turn back and pull your hair VERY hard or twist it around his finger if you misbehaved. :sad: The History teacher there was just plain weird.

I obviously made the right decision by going to Eastwood HS then.:winking:

Back