• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Totally agree, but quite a few went even earlier when the third went in.

Our players disappeared after OUR first :)

The only real positives were the club giving free travel and handing out scarfs to the kids which was a nice touch.

Cant think of any positives from the game itself apart from Williams being now suspended. With Burton on Friday need to step up a gear otherwise can only see another defeat on the cards

Last edited:
We are mid table at best under Brown,the 4 wins were papering the cracks.

Brown has to go.

a strange one this, as I don't feel as depressed as I should do after a 4-1 defeat. I didn't think there was a lot between the two sides when it was 11 v 11. The two first half goals were the result of defenders going to sleep during set pieces and other than that I don't think Wycombe threatened at all and we looked the better side. The third goal was a good free kick (if only one or even both of ours from a similar position had hit the target) and Bentley was poorly positioned. The fourth was a bit of a worldy when we were chasing the game.

My thoughts are that we need a fit Coker back ASAP as Binnom-Williams is not an adequate replacement. Can't see what O'Toole offers above Leonard, Atkinson or Clifford in midfield. Kevan Hurst is a shadow of his former self and hardly deserves a place on the bench at the moment.

4-1 flattered Wycombe today, heads up everyone - we go again on Friday.

I just feel it was a great opportunity for the team to shine in front of all the extra supporters that travelled today in the hope that perhaps they would attend other matches

Look guys, we had a not fully fit square peg right back, an out of form and getting slower Prosser in central defence, and a going backwards in form left back. When all players are fit, and if Phil Brown doesn't finally wake up to the striker crisis in the January sales(A fit and more mobile goal scoring center forward for a start) then you can say Brown out.

O'Toole can jog on back to Northampton. Williams can go back to where he came from. Not for that challenge, which I think was a fair 50/50 challenge, but for his woeful positioning.

Corr offered zilch the whole game, would much rather Coulthirst played today. Weston made a blinding run and cross for the goal then forgot how to play football.

As soon as we scored, Wycombe put on the pressure and ran through us time and time again. The first 2 goals were inevitable, it was just when.

Most disappointing was the bunch of Southend 'Fans' that walked out as soon as the fourth goal went in.

You may travel all over the country supporting the team but to walk out with 20 mins to go is a disgrace, no matter how the team are doing. True support is through thick and thin, no matter what.

Oh, and the muppets that thought it was funny to kick the barriers over at the final whistle, just give Southend a bad name.

Best bit of the day was the guy as the front who threw himself to the ground and acted like a fish being reeled in, made me laugh. He fell with a thump to the floor though, must have hurt himself

I thought "the muppets" who started singing bankers or a word sounding like that to a group of 5-10 year old kids up in front of one of the boxes because they were having trouble throwing the ball back were also a disgrace to SUFC

The one thing I don't understand is your fans singing "4 - 1 to the referee" and the complaints on here about the sending-off. If you dive in from 8 yards, studs up, miss the ball and catch the man there is no way on God's earth you are not going to get sent off. One or two of you may be a bit embarrassed when you watch the Football League show this evening.

Got the ball and the man from where I was watching.

I just feel it was a great opportunity for the team to shine in front of all the extra supporters that travelled today in the hope that perhaps they would attend other matches

I think most people that went today are fans that go to alot of games anyway so that wont make much difference.

Some fans on here are unreal. A lot of us have been supporting Southend in some real dark days of almost dropping out of the 4 Divisions. Maybe we're a bit more tolerant. In the 1984-85 season for example, we finished 20th in Division 4, and most attendances were less than 2000. The team was rubbish and the quality and entertainment was very poor. How would you have coped with 22 losses in a season? But we stuck by them for the better times. This is what we do. Ride the rough waves guys. We're not too far away from a good side with a few additions.

I enjoy going to Wycombe, short journey, twee town, friendly locals etc, but always seem to come away from there seething and spitting. Firstly there was no way this was a 4-1 game, they are not the world beaters some of their strutting peacocks think they are, the referee definitely had a huge influence on the outcome and I feel that Gareth Ainsworth need to be sanctioned. The pitch was heavy and players from both sides had trouble keeping their feet. After the dream start we seemed fairly comfortable but were undone by the ball falling in the right place following a soft free kick, and criminal defending when a throw in was allowed to travel half of the width of the pitch before they scored with the last kick of the half. The turning point for me was not the red card but the fact that Mr Homer allowed their number 9 get away with two blatant trips, the first yellow he received on 48 mins should have been his second. As for the red that was shown, Williams foot was high but he won the ball, what didn't help him was Mick Jagger on the touchline, followed onto the pitch by his entire entourage (was a 4th official appointed Mick? I certainly did not notice him). After that it was game over. Marks to follow, dinner is served.

Spot on here.

Hubby gave up a couple of hours work last night to be up early enough to be down at Roots Hall to help loading coaches and has been a couple of hours late going out tonight, so this performance today has affected us financially. That wouldn't have been so bad if we had got a decent result today...and things looked so promising early on. Spectacular flick on by Worrall to an advancing Weston and a pinpoint perfect cross to Payne to slot away. 1-0 Blues, cue 1k+ ecstatic, but cold, SUFC supporters. Took Wycombe's scoreboard operators 5 minutes to update their scoreboard!

After that things just went wrong. The ref allowed Paul Hayes (once upon a time a target for us) to get away with a very early yellow card, on two occasions, and then promptly gave O'Toole one anyway for something very similar. I'll allow their first, but it was still down to a dodgy decision, but the 2nd and 3rd were both down to wrong decisions by the officials in the lead up. Don't know how many handballs were missed, and don't know how many times Corr was fouled. Bazza mate, if they're going to foul you then learn to give them a dig in the ribs with your elbows to make it worth their while.

Wycombe's no. 2 was one of the most inadequate I've ever seen, and on a good day we'd have been skinning him all day long. Trouble was, they'd done their homework on Wozza. Much less influential than normal. Their defenders were a lot shorter than our players and we should have done better aerially.

The turning point was Binnom-Williams' sending off. Paul Clark on the radio apparently said he didn't think it was one and I respect his opinion, didn't look like one....just because the player threw himself in the air didn't mean it was a foul, let alone a sending off. Ainsowrth and co's reaction was a disgrace. I actually thought JBW hadn't done too badly up to then, and I think some people allow their disappointment to colour their judgement.

Felt Weston didn't really deserve to be subbed at half time, didn't think Hurst did any better than him in the 2nd half. Not sure why Deegan needed to warm up for half an hour in the 1st half. Lots of stuff to think about for those in charge, need to get that problematic striker role sorted, let's get Shaq on earlier alongside Corr and Payne - pace against them today would have been to our benefit.

Utter, utter disgrace their no. 27 warming up and turning to the Southend supporters and saying and gesturing "thanks for the 3 points", provoked a big reaction from those in the vicinity. Several of us complained to the stewards, one of whom tellingly said, "it's not the first time and we'll get it sorted." Others then complained to the police and eventually one of the senior stewards went on and got the little idiot removed from their subs' bench.

Wycombe always leaves me angry. I've been three times and have yet to see us get more than a point there. Decent enough little ground and no problem with their facilities or their stewarding. That long drive in and out is annoying, and when you lose it makes it even worse.

Bentley - 6
Leonard - 6
Bolger - 7
Prosser - 6
Binnom-Williams - 6
Worrall - 6
Timlin - 8, MOTM
O'Toole - 5
Weston - 6
Payne - 6
Corr - 6

Subs:
Hurst for Weston - 6
Deegan for O'Toole - 7
White for Timlin - 7

Officials - probably the worst I've seen this season, just awful.

I thought the difference between the two sides was Wycombe's finishing, despite not having a hatful of chances they scored 4 times, worked Bentley for at least two saves and hit the woodwork. Though we probably had decent possession today and won a few corners their keeper barely had a save to make. We don't seem to possess any players who can score a free kick, take a decent corner or get on the end of a set piece. As soon as we went 2-1 down it was always going to be difficult for us to get anything out of the game due to our lack of goal threat.

O'Toole looked terrible again today, he seemed slow, overweight and the game passed him by. There must be big question marks against his character and application especially after bombing out of Northampton so quickly (who are a poor side anyway). Although he needed replacing it was little use bringing Deegan on as he offers no attacking threat, I feel Clifford deserves a chance as he is more likely to score.

O'Toole looked terrible again today, he seemed slow, overweight and the game passed him by. There must be big question marks against his character and application especially after bombing out of Northampton so quickly (who are a poor side anyway). Although he needed replacing it was little use bringing Deegan on as he offers no attacking threat, I feel Clifford deserves a chance as he is more likely to score.

Yes I agree with this, whatever Clifford did to go from POTM for the 1st month of this season to Mr Unpopular needs to be forgiven and give him a chance.

O'Toole can jog on back to Northampton. Williams can go back to where he came from. Not for that challenge, which I think was a fair 50/50 challenge, but for his woeful positioning.

Corr offered zilch the whole game, would much rather Coulthirst played today. Weston made a blinding run and cross for the goal then forgot how to play football.

As soon as we scored, Wycombe put on the pressure and ran through us time and time again. The first 2 goals were inevitable, it was just when.

Most disappointing was the bunch of Southend 'Fans' that walked out as soon as the fourth goal went in.

You may travel all over the country supporting the team but to walk out with 20 mins to go is a disgrace, no matter how the team are doing. True support is through thick and thin, no matter what.

Oh, and the muppets that thought it was funny to kick the barriers over at the final whistle, just give Southend a bad name.

Best bit of the day was the guy as the front who threw himself to the ground and acted like a fish being reeled in, made me laugh. He fell with a thump to the floor though, must have hurt himself

Agreed, why oh why have we gone chasing after an ego like O'toole. I think everyone would agree midfield is the one area we don't need to be messing with. Get Leonard back in there pronto next game and send the lazy sod back.

I just don't get this '4-1 was not a reflection of the game' ****- face facts folks - we was tonked 4-1
Hiding behind poor refereeing decisions doesn't hide the fact we are a poor side.
yes I known we sit just outside the playoffs - 'we just won four on the trot' etc - but when we go behind - can you see us pulling the game back?
Have we ever come from behind to win under Mr Brown?

PS - Jack Payne - proper footballer - can take more than 3 touches of the ball without ******* himself

Last edited:
Sorry to be negative but.....we beat four of the worst teams...just.....in a terrible league. We have known for a few months that Phil Brown is totally clueless.....Worrall a non starter, Payne a non starter and the list goes on. He now plays with virtually no strikers....just a very poor man's Andy Carroll and he expects to go to good teams with this set up. He signed Deegan....er why?.....He will never be as good as Clifford and the list of mistakes goes on but his bul l sh it fools some on here. Not being negative but it don't look good with him in charge!

Wiggy I'm actually embarrassed for you when you turn up on here quick-sharp after a defeat, it's no coincidence that we haven't seen anything of you over the past few weeks. To be honest I find it very difficult to listen to any point you make due to the fact that every remark that comes from your vicinity is very negative. You'll never change......

For the record guys I thought the JBW challenge was a red card. As frustrating as it is in the present day you simply can't go in like that anymore. If that was an opposition player we'd be baying for red, it wasn't a good tackle and I don't blame the referee for that decision.

Back