• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

you are all going to hate me for it, but i think it is time for tilson to go!!!

How foolish some people are suggesting Tilly to go. No other League 1 Manager would do a better Job on a budget of nothing. And A Championship Manager a Southend. Ppffft. That'll be the day!

Yeah i can't really complain about the team today, because our set out was good, but i would of liked to see spencer upfront with paterson, and christophe playing some part of the game anyway. He's a good midfielder.

... Tilly has got no clue as to how to set the team up, how to tactically approach different oponents and how to make the most of the substitutions!!! Maybe he is just a little stale (who wouldnt be) but we do not have time to fiddle while rome burns!!!

You know, there are some times when we should simply keep our own counsel. :zip:

Freedman's arrival was, so I hear, not Tilson's doing but Ron's who having got lucky with Goater, obviously thought he could hopefully do the same with DF.

If Tilson was to go, & I personally think another major unforeseen event will come along and cause him & Brushy to walk, rather than being pushed by RM, then two names spring to mind as immediate favourites to replace (in name rather than quality) him. Peter Taylor or Dougie Freedman, and if that happens as somebody else said earlier it mig be Blue Sq Premier here we come, rather than L2...

Whilst I don't agree that Tilly should be outed as our manager, I don't think some of the comments on here are accurate.

Tilly is working under difficult circumstance, no doubt about it, but it's not all about the money I'm afraid. The performance today owed little to our cashflow problems, and more to do with a perceived nagtive formation, and lack of firepower. Yes, it's difficult for us to bring in players, but when we already have someone who has notched for us on his debut, and three times in reserves, and you leave him out in favour of a one man strikefore, you are surely only adding even more complications?

I said the other week, we cannot allow our financial situation to be used as a constant excuse for bad perofmances - we all know the players we had at our disposal today were good enough to beat Wycombe, but they simply did not perform, and the bottom line is, for me anyway, the overly cautious approach to the game.... Ironic I guess considering Tilly is berating our cavalier attitude on the OS! :)

Tilly and Brush have created a winning formula, and their track record suggests that they are capable of guiding us through these torubled waters, but let's not be complacent about the situation - It is wrong to imply nobody else is capable of doing as good a job as the current incumbant.

People on here, semi aggressively, retort with well if not Tilson, who else, as if to suggest no one else is worthy..... Who, if any of us, would have thought Tilly and Brush would have enjoyed the level of success they have all that time ago.... Given our precarious league position then, I imagine most would have scoffed at the thought of Tilly being our full time manager. There is a world outside of T and B, and one day, we will have to face that - IMO, I hope it's not for a long time, as I believe in both of them, but I am open minded enough to consider all options when it comes to Southend United being successful.

I would love to see the reaction of the Tilly Out Brigade when they pick up their Echo, turn to the back page and see "Taylor's Goal-den Chance" emblazoned on the back above a picture of Peter holding a Blues scarf aloft. Basingstoke Town here we come...

I can't believe some are actually wanting Tilson out - who do they think could do a better job with no money and having to sell their best players??!!! Is Arsene leaving the Gunners??! Does Mourinho fancy a return to England??!

I for one hated the decision to play 4-5-1 with paterson on his own up front today (would've played Dougie alongside without a doubt) but it's not often I disagree with one of Tilly's decisions, to want him out is crazy especially given the calibre of managers this shambles of a club could attract as a replacement. If these tactics persist long-term then fair enough but Tilly is a good enough manager to learn from his mistakes.

Last edited:
I would love to see the reaction of the Tilly Out Brigade when they pick up their Echo, turn to the back page and see "Taylor's Goal-den Chance" emblazoned on the back above a picture of Peter holding a Blues scarf aloft. Basingstoke Town here we come...

Not sure there is a Tilson Out brigade to be honest - and you could quite easily turn that on it's head if someone of high esteem was pictured holding that scarf, in that article, and went on to win us promotion.

Before anyone starts hyper-ventilating, I'm merely playing Devils Advocate.

Yes, he has been a great manager
Yes he has had to battle through hard times
Yes he has had his hands tied with signing etc
BUT
He cannot blame anybody but himself for todays crass effort!
4-5-1 at home against one of the worst teams in the division
Leaving debutant Patterson up front on his own without any support
failing to change it when it was clearly not going well
Making unbelievable substitutions in taking off grant and leaving on the hapless scannell which nearly cost us the game
Dougie Freedman!!!
James Walker!!!!
Why no christophe?

This game is all about opinions and you will all tell me why I am wrong but for me, Tilly has got no clue as to how to set the team up, how to tactically approach different oponents and how to make the most of the substitutions!!! Maybe he is just a little stale (who wouldnt be) but we do not have time to fiddle while rome burns!!! If we dont start putting a run together soon we will be down in the mire and with our resources and finances I think it could be a very slipery slope indeed!

UTB

I don't hate you for it, I just think your talking rubbish.
I've been looking at Darren Ferguson lately and how he got the PNE job. You look at Fergie jnr's record and it is not better than Tilly's, certainly not in league one where Tilly took us up as Champs whereas Fergie jnr went up as runners up.

In the Championship Tilson's record was poor - how many games was it without a win?? - and we subsequently came straight back down, but look at Ferguson's record while he was at Posh. It was similar to Tilly's and had he remained in charge then it looked like he was taking Peterborough straight back down to league one - just like Tilson.

The difference between the two? In my opinion, Ferguson is soooooo media friendly,he always comes across very, very well. He always speaks of promotion (as he did with Posh before a ball was kicked this season and has already done the same with PNE) and he talks a good game. Tilly isn't as good in front of the camera or with a mic in his face. He doesn't seem comfortable - certainly not as comfortable as Ferguson - when dealing with the press and there is also a certain Sir Alex Ferguson that sways media opinion of his boy and his managerial capabilities.

I guess what I'm saying is that Tilson's managerial record is better than Darren Ferguson's and yet the latter still gets touted as one of the bright young managers within the game and lands a job at a top Championship club after a dreadful stint with Peterborough in the same division. As for Tilson, well he gets people like you calling for his head when in reality without Tilly we as fans wouldn't have experienced the most successful period in the clubs history and would be in a far worse position than we are right now and I for one hope that we have Tilly around for a long time because I've seen too many poor managers come and go over the years to not appreciate what a talent Steve Tilson is.

The bottom line for me is that you bring in a new manager and he's either successful, in which he case he gets snapped up by a bigger Club, or he's a failure. In neither case do we really gain anything.

Often when you change a manager there's a short-term uplift in performances. This season that could be the difference between staying up and going down. But there's no way to know if it will make that difference and sacrificing the long-term stability of the Club for a short-term boost seems like yet another reckless gamble.

Whilst I understand Richard Cadette's argument that our cashflow problems shouldn't excuse poor performances I think both are so intertwined that one has to have a major impact on the other. We played 4-5-1 today because we had to cash in on our best striker and the only replacements we've been able to bring in in that position are two kids on, presumably, low wages. We're poor at the back, but is that down to poor tactics or is it down to the fact that the back four has changed so many times this season due to the number of loans and players playing out of position because of a lack of money to bring replacements in?

I think any manager would struggle under these circumstances. The one shining light these days is the Management team. The day that they are not here any longer will be the worst day in the Club's recent history. And sadly I have a feeling that that day may not be too far away.

I think any manager would struggle under these circumstances. The one shining light these days is the Management team. The day that they are not here any longer will be the worst day in the Club's recent history. And sadly I have a feeling that that day may not be too far away.

Exactly, Barnard leaving was something we mainly all pretty much expected.
If T&B did walk it would be a disaster of epic proportions, and honestly would probably doom us to Conference football in no time at all...

I don't think Tilly wants, needs or deserves a second relegation on his CV. If we're still hovering just above the drop zone at Easter I just wonder if he might walk. Especially if the crowd have got on his back by then.

I seriously doubt the crowd would do that. Sure, there's enough pessimists (who have every right to be pessimistic) to make their feelings heard, but if they were to get on Tilson's case, I genuinely think there'd be enough disgust at that in the rest of the crowd to drown them out quite comfortably.

All but the most myopic realise that Tilly & Brush have had their hands tied by circumstances outside their control for a couple of years at least. They have their failings, like any other manager - the lack of proactive substitutes and tactical changes being a case in point - but the consensus is that there's hardly any other management team in the country that could do the job any better than they've done this season.

As for Tilson walking, well it's subjective, but I think he knows what the bulk of the supporters think - he's not undoing all the great work he's done on the pitch, it's the people off it. With that in mind I think he'd want to stay on and try to accomplish what would be his greatest managerial achievement - keeping the club in League One whilst all around him was chaos.

Listening to David Gold on 5 Live this morning, he was saying one of the three most important things for a manager these days was how he comes across in the media. There is no doubt in my mind that if Tilly was blessed with a bit more charisma and eloquence, he would have been snapped up by a 'bigger' club long ago.

But this obsession with public image is to our gain, and possibly Tilly's too. He has, at Southend, a job for life very possibly. I imagine he constantly weighs up the virtues of his personal stability against his own ambition as a manager. I feel now, he's less likely to quit - he may feel his stock's been as high as it will ever be and he's missed that chance. Football's management merry-go-round is spinning as fast as ever so if he left us, how long will his new club give him? He'll then be a jobbing manager, relocating himself and his family every year and a half.

We are in a unique and fortunate position having Tilson in charge. He is able to give us the one thing a football club like ours forever craves - stability. I would argue he is a very good manager, not a great manager, so any success he'd have elsewhere is debatable. Any other good manager we may employ in the future, without these intimate connections to the club and the area, would move on at the first opportunity, and once again we are a club like scores of others, craving stability of management again. I hope Tilly and Brush stay for a long, long time to come.

I actually thought he would have gone a season ago, and am surprised he is still here. Maybe the 'carrot' of FF is keeping him around and the 'promise' of untold funds for players, but by then, I think he will be feeling jaded and wanting a new challenge altogether.

Listening to David Gold on 5 Live this morning, he was saying one of the three most important things for a manager these days was how he comes across in the media. There is no doubt in my mind that if Tilly was blessed with a bit more charisma and eloquence, he would have been snapped up by a 'bigger' club long ago.

But this obsession with public image is to our gain, and possibly Tilly's too. He has, at Southend, a job for life very possibly. I imagine he constantly weighs up the virtues of his personal stability against his own ambition as a manager. I feel now, he's less likely to quit - he may feel his stock's been as high as it will ever be and he's missed that chance. Football's management merry-go-round is spinning as fast as ever so if he left us, how long will his new club give him? He'll then be a jobbing manager, relocating himself and his family every year and a half.

We are in a unique and fortunate position having Tilson in charge. He is able to give us the one thing a football club like ours forever craves - stability. I would argue he is a very good manager, not a great manager, so any success he'd have elsewhere is debatable. Any other good manager we may employ in the future, without these intimate connections to the club and the area, would move on at the first opportunity, and once again we are a club like scores of others, craving stability of management again. I hope Tilly and Brush stay for a long, long time to come.

It seems to me Shrimperian is basing too much of his view on yesterdays disappointment(By the way I felt it was not an awfull performance, certainly not in the first half at least)...Shrimperian, we must look at the bigger picture, the most dangerous slippery slope is more likely to be encounterd if we did replace Tilson in my view....I am all for open debate, and SZ is all about opinions of course, but Come on, this is just mad!

I have long felt that Tilson would have been in a bigger job by now if he courted and handled the media like some lesser managers do...Thank goodness he doesn't!

'Onen hag oll' (One and all)

Well said, Cliff. When I saw Tilly standing beyond the dug-out at Torquay in late 2003, it felt like it was our club again. I would hate us to return to the days of revolving door deadheads who had no kith and kin connection with the club. We should be getting behind T&B and the team in no uncertain terms now - it's going to be a difficult few months, so my fellow Shrimpers, I implore you to do your bit ... our club needs you! :support:

I guess what I'm saying is that Tilson's managerial record is better than Darren Ferguson's and yet the latter still gets touted as one of the bright young managers within the game and lands a job at a top Championship club after a dreadful stint with Peterborough in the same division. As for Tilson, well he gets people like you calling for his head when in reality without Tilly we as fans wouldn't have experienced the most successful period in the clubs history and would be in a far worse position than we are right now and I for one hope that we have Tilly around for a long time because I've seen too many poor managers come and go over the years to not appreciate what a talent Steve Tilson is.

Spot on, fully agree. :clap:

Southend isn't the most attractice job for managers right now. £0k money to spend on transfers and a very small wage budget to work with. The squad isn't great, and yes we have a new stadium coming but in two to three years.

We would be so naive to sack Tilson. His working with absolutely nothing, and this is usually when he is at his best. Even if we went down, I would want him to stay next year.

Ron is the one who has put Tilson in the situation so to sack him would be completely unjust.

One Steve Tilson, Up the Blues!

Back