• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

you are all going to hate me for it, but i think it is time for tilson to go!!!

We have just sold basically our only propper goalscorer, to be replaced by a promising youngster that will do well to get 4 goals before the end of this season. We are going to struggle without Barney's goals.

Do you think Ron Martin should blame Tilly for this terrible situation, or do you think Tilly should blame Ron Martin?

We have just sold basically our only propper goalscorer, to be replaced by a promising youngster that will do well to get 4 goals before the end of this season. We are going to struggle without Barney's goals.

Do you think Ron Martin should blame Tilly for this terrible situation, or do you think Tilly should blame Ron Martin?

The team is ****ed. The team is ****ed because of the financial problems.

Financially we are ****ed. Someone has to take the blame. It is not Tilly

The bottom line for me is that you bring in a new manager and he's either successful, in which he case he gets snapped up by a bigger Club, or he's a failure. In neither case do we really gain anything.

Often when you change a manager there's a short-term uplift in performances. This season that could be the difference between staying up and going down. But there's no way to know if it will make that difference and sacrificing the long-term stability of the Club for a short-term boost seems like yet another reckless gamble.

Whilst I understand Richard Cadette's argument that our cashflow problems shouldn't excuse poor performances I think both are so intertwined that one has to have a major impact on the other. We played 4-5-1 today because we had to cash in on our best striker and the only replacements we've been able to bring in in that position are two kids on, presumably, low wages. We're poor at the back, but is that down to poor tactics or is it down to the fact that the back four has changed so many times this season due to the number of loans and players playing out of position because of a lack of money to bring replacements in?

I think any manager would struggle under these circumstances. The one shining light these days is the Management team. The day that they are not here any longer will be the worst day in the Club's recent history. And sadly I have a feeling that that day may not be too far away.

Absolutely spot on, Beefy.

Tilly & Brush have been by far the best thing at the club in the last couple of years.

What has amazed me this year is how they have managed to juggle such a small (but constantly revolving) "squad" AND keep them motivated despite all the apparent problems. Just how motivated would you be to play for the team if you'd been treated like the players have been and (Adam Barrett aside) were not a supporter and doing it just for the love of the club? T&B this year have been quite remarkable in the circumstances. Maybe it's T&B's love of the club that have allowed them to stay motivated enough to somehow be able to motivate the players?

Everyone's entitled to their views. Equally, everyone else is entitled to disagree. Long live T&B!

The thing is, who would you realistically replace Tilson with anyway?

For example, I'd love to see Chrissy Powell back here at some point, possibly as a manager. Would I want that now? No. With all the turmoil the club is facing financially, the last place we need that mirrored is within the management infrastructure.

There was a lukewarm initial response when we signed Barny so I think it's too soon to rule out the prospect of either Spencer or Paterson or even both coming good this season.

Whilst I don't agree that Tilly should be outed as our manager, I don't think some of the comments on here are accurate.

Tilly is working under difficult circumstance, no doubt about it, but it's not all about the money I'm afraid. The performance today owed little to our cashflow problems, and more to do with a perceived nagtive formation, and lack of firepower. Yes, it's difficult for us to bring in players, but when we already have someone who has notched for us on his debut, and three times in reserves, and you leave him out in favour of a one man strikefore, you are surely only adding even more complications?

I said the other week, we cannot allow our financial situation to be used as a constant excuse for bad perofmances - we all know the players we had at our disposal today were good enough to beat Wycombe, but they simply did not perform, and the bottom line is, for me anyway, the overly cautious approach to the game.... Ironic I guess considering Tilly is berating our cavalier attitude on the OS! :)

Tilly and Brush have created a winning formula, and their track record suggests that they are capable of guiding us through these torubled waters, but let's not be complacent about the situation - It is wrong to imply nobody else is capable of doing as good a job as the current incumbant.

People on here, semi aggressively, retort with well if not Tilson, who else, as if to suggest no one else is worthy..... Who, if any of us, would have thought Tilly and Brush would have enjoyed the level of success they have all that time ago.... Given our precarious league position then, I imagine most would have scoffed at the thought of Tilly being our full time manager. There is a world outside of T and B, and one day, we will have to face that - IMO, I hope it's not for a long time, as I believe in both of them, but I am open minded enough to consider all options when it comes to Southend United being successful.

A few people have criticised this post but I think it's pretty sensible. T&B have still got plenty of credit in the bank at Southend but someday they are going to leave and the world won't end when they do. If we get a young inexperienced manager with some Southend connections, would it really be such a disaster. I believe it's been tried before.

Well said, Cliff. When I saw Tilly standing beyond the dug-out at Torquay in late 2003, it felt like it was our club again. I would hate us to return to the days of revolving door deadheads who had no kith and kin connection with the club. We should be getting behind T&B and the team in no uncertain terms now - it's going to be a difficult few months, so my fellow Shrimpers, I implore you to do your bit ... our club needs you! :support:

Well said Billy

Whilst I don't agree that Tilly should be outed as our manager, I don't think some of the comments on here are accurate.

Tilly is working under difficult circumstance, no doubt about it, but it's not all about the money I'm afraid. The performance today owed little to our cashflow problems, and more to do with a perceived nagtive formation, and lack of firepower. Yes, it's difficult for us to bring in players, but when we already have someone who has notched for us on his debut, and three times in reserves, and you leave him out in favour of a one man strikefore, you are surely only adding even more complications?

I said the other week, we cannot allow our financial situation to be used as a constant excuse for bad perofmances - we all know the players we had at our disposal today were good enough to beat Wycombe, but they simply did not perform, and the bottom line is, for me anyway, the overly cautious approach to the game.... Ironic I guess considering Tilly is berating our cavalier attitude on the OS! :)

Tilly and Brush have created a winning formula, and their track record suggests that they are capable of guiding us through these torubled waters, but let's not be complacent about the situation - It is wrong to imply nobody else is capable of doing as good a job as the current incumbant.

People on here, semi aggressively, retort with well if not Tilson, who else, as if to suggest no one else is worthy..... Who, if any of us, would have thought Tilly and Brush would have enjoyed the level of success they have all that time ago.... Given our precarious league position then, I imagine most would have scoffed at the thought of Tilly being our full time manager. There is a world outside of T and B, and one day, we will have to face that - IMO, I hope it's not for a long time, as I believe in both of them, but I am open minded enough to consider all options when it comes to Southend United being successful.

I agree with that....

Too many people playing the clubs off field problems off as a reason for not winning, sometimes the responsibility lies with Tilson, he has players that should be able to beat Wycombe.

Personally as I said before kick off, 4-5-1 was extremely disappointing against a team in the bottom 3 and at home.

We shouldnt be trying to be difficult to beat at home to poor opposition and Tilson deserves criticism for that in my book.

However to say he should be sacked because of it is laughable.

Yes, he has been a great manager
Yes he has had to battle through hard times
Yes he has had his hands tied with signing etc
BUT
He cannot blame anybody but himself for todays crass effort!
4-5-1 at home against one of the worst teams in the division
Leaving debutant Patterson up front on his own without any support
failing to change it when it was clearly not going well
Making unbelievable substitutions in taking off grant and leaving on the hapless scannell which nearly cost us the game
Dougie Freedman!!!
James Walker!!!!
Why no christophe?

This game is all about opinions and you will all tell me why I am wrong but for me, Tilly has got no clue as to how to set the team up, how to tactically approach different oponents and how to make the most of the substitutions!!! Maybe he is just a little stale (who wouldnt be) but we do not have time to fiddle while rome burns!!! If we dont start putting a run together soon we will be down in the mire and with our resources and finances I think it could be a very slipery slope indeed!

UTB

I'll tell you why you're wrong.

Firstly, that was a 4-3-3 that was played, with Scannell and Laurent as wide forwards. It certainly wasn't a 4-5-1.

He did change it, by bringing on Freedman and Spencer and putting them both up top. Too late perhaps, but at that point we still looked like we could score.

Scannell was the only player on the pitch who was getting in behind them and getting the ball into the box. Laurent is a different matter.....

Sacking Tilson is the worst thing that could happen. He is part of the foundation here now, his relationship with the club, its fans and its players is too good. The morale anround the place is bad enough as it is.....do you really think that getting rid of a manager who is held in such high esteem by most of the fans and the entire playing squad is a good idea right now? I'd suggest not.

The guy's hands are tied. What is he supposed to do with what little he has? The fact that he managed to sell this hell hole to Paterson to get him to sign shows what an asset he is.....Tilly is one of the only good things going for us at the moment. Plus, you can't buy his loyalty. Most managers would have walked by now, but Tilly wants to lead us out in the new stadium, and I want to see him do it.

Who else is going to want to come here, bearing in mind what's going on behind the scenes? And who on God's green earth will be able to do a better job than Tilly is doing without any bleeding money?

Judge him when (if) he gets given money to rebuild the squad. But get rid of him now? Nope, sorry, worst possible thing that this club could do.

Well i agree that christophe should of played.
and i think we need maybe some extra help in the managerial skills, but tilly has done a great job for us and im not sure what to think right now if im honest!

Who should Christophe have played instead of?

Most people are castigating Tilly for being negative and playing "5 in midfield" even though when we had the ball Laurent and Scannell were supposed to be up front.

Freedman's arrival was, so I hear, not Tilson's doing but Ron's who having got lucky with Goater, obviously thought he could hopefully do the same with DF.

If Tilson was to go, & I personally think another major unforeseen event will come along and cause him & Brushy to walk, rather than being pushed by RM, then two names spring to mind as immediate favourites to replace (in name rather than quality) him. Peter Taylor or Dougie Freedman, and if that happens as somebody else said earlier it mig be Blue Sq Premier here we come, rather than L2...

Most people on here were creaming themselves when Freedman signed. Does RM spend too much time listening to the fans?

Absolutely spot on, Beefy.

Tilly & Brush have been by far the best thing at the club in the last couple of years.

What has amazed me this year is how they have managed to juggle such a small (but constantly revolving) "squad" AND keep them motivated despite all the apparent problems. Just how motivated would you be to play for the team if you'd been treated like the players have been and (Adam Barrett aside) were not a supporter and doing it just for the love of the club? T&B this year have been quite remarkable in the circumstances. Maybe it's T&B's love of the club that have allowed them to stay motivated enough to somehow be able to motivate the players?

Everyone's entitled to their views. Equally, everyone else is entitled to disagree. Long live T&B!

I think Tilly and Brush have done an amazing job, but I think it is easier to motivate the players in the circumstances. When it's tough to motivate players is when they aren't getting a sniff of first team football and are kicking their heels in the reserves. The advantage of small squads is better team spirit because you have fewer unhappy players. Bonuses being paid late is more of an issue, but even that can work in your favour as we saw yesterday, with McCormack playing for a move away.

Where Tilly and Brush have done such a good squad is in being able to find players who can come in and contribute.

Where is 'tonythekray' he usually likes to contribute to these stupid Tilson out posts.

Seriously I think Tilson will leave this off season. He clearly loves Southend United but right now there is no ambition at the club and I can see him leaving if he gets a half decent offer. Without Tilson I can see us slipping even further down the Leagues, we wouldnt be able to get a decent manager just another wally like Wignall or Martin who would make things even worse.

Lets get realistic....Tilly is going nowhere. As long as Ron is here, Tilly will be here, and lets face it, Ron is going nowhere either; not until the stadium has been delivered, and he has more than made his money back.

I find myself questioning a number of decisions that our management team make, week in, week out, and there is only so far that the two promotions will carry them, but I always ask myself whether anybody else (who we could afford) would do any better given the resources....invariably the answer is no.

Personally I don't think Tilly will leave for a good while yet, he has been fed the same promises regarding the wealth a new stadium will bring. So far he has endured the non-existent war-chest, the on-going delays to the start of a new stadium, the total lack of finances for new players, players leaving and not being replaced, probably not being paid on time and any other grief that has come his way by means of the Chairman, credit crunch and all the other circumstances.
If he can handle all these set-backs and still put a team out I think he is masochistic enough to stay to try and see how good things are in a new stadium.
The Chairman won't sack him as he would have to pay realistic wages, albeit probably late, to a new man who would probably have a jolly good idea of what he was letting himself in for as I'm sure our rubbish financial circumstances must be well known in football club circles.

I just get so sick of the jerk reactions when we play badly, especially those who think that changing tilly and Brush would help us get any better. Please, remove your brain from your A******e and stop doing it, cos its just boring! Anyone with half a wombats brain surely can see that removing tilly from the club that he lives and breathes for will only result in us moving one way and The thought of a 2003/2004 season makes my stomach churn.......we have no money! Sure we all have oppinions and for the record, 4-5-1 did not work today, but FFS please get off of his back. I will stand by him 110% because he is the manager and I no that he is doing his best for our club. I listened to his aftermatch interveiw and for the first time I sensed a bit of frustration with the players ability to be more diciplined when closing a game out and more about him mentioning the cash situation at the moment. I have never heard him sound so downbeat so anyone who thinks he does not care about how we are doing is an imbosil. He is the best thing our club have at the moment and supporters should not forget the crap that we had to suffer the previous 8 years before he took over. If we get dragged into a relegation fight then so be it, I just prey he will still be there because I cannot for the life of me see anyone else who would get us out of it.

Where is 'tonythekray' he usually likes to contribute to these stupid Tilson out posts.

Strangely when we were doing ok in previous seasons and had the odd loss here and there he was very vocal. This season when its a regular occurence and for the first time in years he has justifiable reasons to complain he is quiet.

Odd...

The problem with replacing Tilly and Brush,which I dont advocate for one minute, is that we end up with a journeyman manager who has been around the block probably several times and considers Southend as just another job. This journeyman manager lets call him Wignall just to give him a name comes in changes things around to no effect whatsoever and then leaves and we employ another Div1 Div2 journeyman manager.

We should under no circumstances get rid of Tilly, now Tilly getting rid of us is a completely different kettle of fish.

Ok guys, fairs fair, I must admit to putting this post up really to promote debate more than anything...and it worked! But, you have all proved a point.......that you dont really read what is being said, you simply rush into a defensive response without consideration. I agree that Tilly has been a stalwart and without him we would be nowhere, but, it has to be said that tactically (if tactics are in fact down to tilly) we are sometimes way off of the mark! The obvious choice would have been Patterson and Spencer up front on Saturday and Grants substitution left a gaping hole. However, rose tinted spectacles never improved a real situation and there can be no doubt that we ARE in need of some new impetus from somewhere, on the playing front preferably. For those who say "who could do better yada yada yada....well if Col ewe can get Boothroyd, then we could potentially get someone worthwhile......just because your car breaks down doesnt mean you cant replace it, even if it took you all the way around the world! So, castigate me if you must, but we need to survive this season in this division, which is not a foregone conclusion! Otherwise I fear that Mr martin's plan may all fall into place and we will be only attending roots hall on a saturday to get the groceries in!!!

Ok guys, fairs fair, I must admit to putting this post up really to promote debate more than anything...and it worked! But, you have all proved a point.......that you dont really read what is being said, you simply rush into a defensive response without consideration. I agree that Tilly has been a stalwart and without him we would be nowhere, but, it has to be said that tactically (if tactics are in fact down to tilly) we are sometimes way off of the mark! The obvious choice would have been Patterson and Spencer up front on Saturday...

Ok until here, Ian. Spencer's not match fit yet.

Back