• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Young managers

sufc_dave

Manager
It looks as if 33 year old ex-Porto manager Villas-Boas is going to join Chelsea. Even though he won the treble in Portugal last season with Porto, I think I read somewhere that he was only 5 months older than Drogba.

I don't know how the players would react to this. Apart from success in Portugal, he is quite unknown. What does everyone think? Would you mind having a young manager, as it may be that the individual, whilst gaining experience would be a great manager. Or would you prefer an older manager who has been in the game for quite a while?

I have read one of his leaked match reports from when he was a scout at Chelsea. He's an extremely clever coach . I personally would prefer a younger manager .Full of fresh ideas , and most importantly enthusiasm for the game.

It looks as if 33 year old ex-Porto manager Villas-Boas is going to join Chelsea. Even though he won the treble in Portugal last season with Porto, I think I read somewhere that he was only 5 months older than Drogba.

I don't know how the players would react to this. Apart from success in Portugal, he is quite unknown. What does everyone think? Would you mind having a young manager, as it may be that the individual, whilst gaining experience would be a great manager. Or would you prefer an older manager who has been in the game for quite a while?

Didn't he win the Europa League or something last year?

Personally the only thing that would matter to me was whether he knew what he was doing. Now age brings about experience which may help in that regard, but it's not a requisite. A football dressing room may not be so enlightened, but I'd expect that to be less of an issue at a successful club where players will be more professional and focused on winning.

4 trophies in his first season with Porto, 36 games unbeaten, won the title with the most points in Portugal ever. Yeah i wonder what Chelsea see in him! Although it is a circus there, but having spent (allegedly) £14 mill to get him surely he wont be sacked if he didn't win a trophy in his first season would he?

4 trophies in his first season with Porto, 36 games unbeaten, won the title with the most points in Portugal ever. Yeah i wonder what Chelsea see in him! Although it is a circus there, but having spent (allegedly) £14 mill to get him surely he wont be sacked if he didn't win a trophy in his first season would he?

You never know with football do you!! Especially with a club like Chelsea. I do like the look of the guy, he seems like he knows what he is doing. But in all fairness, I still think that anyone who knows football could easily guide a team like Chelsea to a top 3/4 finish with no previous experience...

You never know with football do you!! Especially with a club like Chelsea. I do like the look of the guy, he seems like he knows what he is doing. But in all fairness, I still think that anyone who knows football could easily guide a team like Chelsea to a top 3/4 finish with no previous experience...

Scolari may tell you otherwise.

How old was Paul Clark when he managed us, 27?

He's not unknown to Chelsea players, he worked there under Jose Mourinho.

Infact he's had a similar(ish) career path to Mourinho, at just 16 Bobby Robson took him on at Porto as a Scout and by 17 he'd already got his UEFA C coaching licence. Then became an assistant to Mourinho at Porto moving with him to Chelsea then Inter. Then he became manager of Académica de Coimbra in Portugal rescuing them from relegation & reaching the semifinals of the portugese cup before going back to Porto.

He may be only 33 but that doesn't mean he's not experienced.

Age or not, unless he wins Chel$ki's Holy Grail of the Champions League (he won't), he'll be looking for another club soon enough. Christ I hate them.

Fair point, but what I mean is would you prefer a manager like Ferguson who has had years upon years in management, rather then a young lad who hasn't??

If he were given time in the manner that Ferguson has had (a lucky Mark Robins goal saved his job) then the young man every time as he's the future. Unfortunately as MK says it's unlikely he'll get the time.

Back